GDT Week 1 - Thursday Night Football vs Chiefs

Deadpulse

Things look a little sloppy and out of sync early on. Not liking the LB play early on. Not sure how much of that is a product of taking Kelce and Hill out. But Van Noy looks to be continuing his subpar pre-season in coverage and Richards isn't any better at LB/STAR than at safety.

KC is doing a decent job covering the Pats receivers when they drop into coverage. I would expect them to be patient on D and try to rush 3/4 and bottle up the middle of the field. Would like to see more quick hitters to Hogan/Cooks. Pats look to be trying to establish a vertical presence but I'd like to see them start to generate some YAC and get the ball in space to White/Cooks etc

Gillislee looks as good as I had hoped. Nice to see a decisive runner after years of Blount's dancing.

Little worried about Flowers playing inside full time. He looked overmatched when rushing from the 5 and 4 techniques consistently. Would like to see him get wide more frequently.

Overall, it's playing out about as I'd hoped. The Pats are one failed 4th down from being comfortably ahead in this one. Should be a close, sometimes frustrating 2nd half but the Pats are clearly the better team. They just need to play clean football and make a few adjustments on D

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Richards and Butler were in the area though

Yeah being in the area but a step or two away from a quick RB is the difference between a short completion and a catch and run with lots of YAC (or a TD in this case)

It was, as the commentators noted, a nice play call. Reid (and his offensive staff) has always had good route combinations and can scheme guys open as well as anyone. But Richards looked lost off the snap and Butler was lagging behind.

Just now, mcmurtry86 said:

Yeah being in the area but a step or two away from a quick RB is the difference between a short completion and a catch and run with lots of YAC (or a TD in this case)

It was, as the commentators noted, a nice play call. Reid (and his offensive staff) has always had good route combinations and can scheme guys open as well as anyone. But Richards looked lost off the snap and Butler was lagging behind.

Butler has been, lacking. I hope he can shape up, for his sake if nothing else. I don't like this Richards experiment, but it is almost out of necessity with Shea out and no more Nink. This front seven needs help or a BIG step up.  

Archived