Carolina v 49ers, week 1 GDT: Football is Back!

Forge

Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which newcomer are you looking forward to play his first game most

• Solomon Thomas
    • Reuben Foster
    • Marquise Goodwin
    • Pierre Garcon
    • George Kittle
    • Robbie Gould...because kickers are people too

Hallelujah! Did not need the PFF stats to confirm the very obvious. Short and Lotuleleie(sp?) just wreaked havoc on our interior line.

The San Francisco 49ers could be looking at an offensive line shakeup just one game deep into the 2017 season. After the offensive line allowed four sacks against the Carolina Panthers on Sunday, head coach Kyle Shanahan confirmed that backup guard Laken Tomlinson will get a chance to compete for a starting spot prior to the Week 2 game against the Seattle Seahawks.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/9/11/16291724/49ers-panthers-zane-beadles-seahawks-laken-tomlinson-position-battle

8 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

It took me a while to see what you were talking about - that's his rank out of offensive tackles. He ranks 8th. Graded over an 80. 

So the 54/54 for beadles means he was 54th out of Guards? And if I'm understanding what those scores mean, it means Staley had a really bad game. Yes?

6 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

So the 54/54 for beadles means he was 54th out of Guards? And if I'm understanding what those scores mean, it means Staley had a really bad game. Yes?

Yes, so Beadles was graded as the WORSE guard in the league in week 1.

Staley was subpar himself.

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yes, so Beadles was graded as the WORSE guard in the league in week 1.

Staley was subpar himself.

Even before the draft I was thinking that an OT would be a fine pick in case Brown didn't work out, and of course to start grooming to replace Staley as he looked like he had turned to corner - in the wrong direction, last season. If he can't play anywhere near his former self we may need close to a whole new line next year. Maybe a relatively high  pick on both a G and T and then a really good FA line guy at almost any position.

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Staley isn't what he was a few years ago, but he is still really solid. Easily the best OL on the team. But it wouldn't be bad to take a OT in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom for the future.

I think I'm more into either signing a top FA lineman or waiting til the 4th round on. I'm over rookie Olineman with high expectations. Give me the Trent Browns, Magnuson, even Kilgore's of the league before another Rachel/Martin. Those late round picks are cheaper to resign usually too

19 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think I'm more into either signing a top FA lineman or waiting til the 4th round on. I'm over rookie Olineman with high expectations. Give me the Trent Browns, Magnuson, even Kilgore's of the league before another Rachel/Martin. Those late round picks are cheaper to resign usually too

So rather than Rachel/Martin, you'd prefer Bryan Stork (out of NFL), Cameron Fleming (Career backup), Dakota Dozier (career backup), Kadeem Edwards (practice squad), David Yankey (out of the NFL), Cyril Richardson (out of the NFL), John Urschel (out of the NFL), John Halapio (practice squad), Garrett Scott (out of the NFL), Tavon Rooks (out of the NFL), Luke Bowanko (career backup), Mitchell Van Dyk (out of the NFL), Ulrick John (practice squad), and/or Demetrius Rhaney (out of the NFL)? Because that's a list of offensive linemen taken in the 2014 draft from the 4th-7th rounds in just one draft (2014). There were a handful of players that became starters as well, but none remarkable.  

That's opposed to Greg Robinson (starter), Jake Matthews (starter), Taylor Lewan (Pro Bowl starter), Zack Martin (all-pro starter), Ja'Wuan James (starter), Xavier Sua'Filo (backup than starter), Joel Bitonio (starter), Weston Richburg (starter), Cyrus Kouandjio (out of NFL), Jack Mewhort (starter), and Justin Britt (starter). Then in the third round, you get Morgan Moses (backup then starter), Billy Turner (career backup), Marcus Martin (career trash), Travis Swanson (backup then starter), Spencer Long (backup then starter), Gabe Jackson (starter), Chris Watt (out of the NFL), Trai Turner (Pro Bowl starter), Brandon Linder (starter), Michael Shofield (backup), and Brandon Thomas (out of NFL). 

I'd throw my lot in with the second group personally. Of course, this should come as no surprise. If it was just as simple to find starting offensive linemen in the 4th-7th rounds, no team in the NFL would ever draft them earlier, other than the occasional laughable blip like when a team drafts a kicker in the first 3 rounds. But opting to pursue important starters using only mid-round picks or later is a really poor strategy for finding them. 

I'm not saying abandon investing in the Oline ala Seattle. I'm just saying I'd rather not invest in the early rounds in the Oline, kinda like the RB position. Free Agency to fill holes (Raiders) is equally as successful as building through all first rounders (Dallas) in the end you have to get lucky and hit on investments. 

12 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Staley isn't what he was a few years ago, but he is still really solid. Easily the best OL on the team. But it wouldn't be bad to take a OT in the 2nd or 3rd round to groom for the future.

Yeah, Staley has been steadily regressing the past couple of years. Definitely no longer a top 10 left tackle. That being said, his contract is still good after this year. His base drops down to 4.8 in both the next two years, so I dont think there's going to be a time where his declining play forces our hand. Good job by paraag on that one. 

30 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I'm not saying abandon investing in the Oline ala Seattle. I'm just saying I'd rather not invest in the early rounds in the Oline, kinda like the RB position. Free Agency to fill holes (Raiders) is equally as successful as building through all first rounders (Dallas) in the end you have to get lucky and hit on investments. 

You could make that claim for a lot of positions. 

Offensive line is one of the three most important groupings on the field...if the prospects are good enough, I'll drop those first rounders on those guys any time. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's in the conversation of being a top 10 LT still or close to it. Just no longer an elite player at his position where you could argue top 3-4 as you could during 2011-2015.

I'd put him in that 12 - 15 range, I think. Still, very solid. 

1 hour ago, 48 1/2ers said:

To each his own, I guess. I would hope to god the team would not avoid drafting linemen in the first three rounds. 

Archived