GDT: Preseason Week 3: Bears at Colts

malagabears

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It was Iggy, his coverage is really, really strong.  You want that guy to earn a spot, but his tackling and instincts are bad.

As a 3-4 ILB we need him to have that as a minimum.  He plays more like a big SS than an ILB. 

I believe his instincts and his tackling can be improved.  He's another ILB with light speed like Roquan you can turn loose on a blitz.  Keep him for ST and work on the rest.

49 minutes ago, soulman said:

As a 3-4 ILB we need him to have that as a minimum.  He plays more like a big SS than an ILB. 

I believe his instincts and his tackling can be improved.  He's another ILB with light speed like Roquan you can turn loose on a blitz.  Keep him for ST and work on the rest.

Wish we could put Iggy and Nick K together into one player.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

I was really encouraged by Bars tonight. It was his block that sprung Nall’s long run, and he looked BY FAR better than any of our other reserve OTs when he played LT tonight. I’d like to see him get full run at LT on Thursday - if he could potentially be a 4-position backup for us that would give us so much roster flexibility. 

Pineiro looked every bit the part an NFL kicker tonight (while fan favorite Vedvik missed 2 FG in MIN btw). Would have liked to see him get the 2nd shot at a 55+ yarder but didn’t necessarily need to. The fast majority of his kicks are going to be from 45 and in and he’s already demonstrated both the leg to hit from 50+ and the accuracy. 

Daniel did not look good but he also had zero time to throw all night and was backed by a 4th and 5th string running game so to at least some extent that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Were he forced into real game action he’d find himself in a situation in which he is far more set up for success. 

Nall looked solid again tonight but I’m still not sure there’s room for him on our roster. He’s probably a back end NFL roster talent but we don’t really have a place for him. I don’t think it’d be a terrible idea to reach out to Houston and see if we can flip him as depth for a conditional late pick in light of the Lamar Miller injury. It’s a long shot, but worth a phone call. 

Every game I see Marvin Hall play I see less and less that I like enough to keep him over quality depth elsewhere. He didn’t look bad tonight but didn’t stand out even against 3rd and 4th teamers, and with Whyte emerging as a KR last week and several PR options already in house I’m growing less and less convinced that he sticks to the 53. 

Vaughters continues to show more than Irving and especially Fitts. He’s an effort guy with limited pass rush moves but his skill set and approach should translate well to ST as well. 

Our broadcasts keep talking up Michael Joseph but I’ve yet to see him look good in a game in the last 2 preseasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Wish we could put Iggy and Nick K together into one player.

That's my plan as well.....of course it's gonna take more than just an orthopedic surgeon to pull if off.

Maybe this guy can help.  I hear he's had some previous success with it.

young-frankenstein.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was really encouraged by Bars tonight. It was his block that sprung Nall’s long run, and he looked BY FAR better than any of our other reserve OTs when he played LT tonight. I’d like to see him get full run at LT on Thursday - if he could potentially be a 4-position backup for us that would give us so much roster flexibility. 

Pineiro looked every bit the part an NFL kicker tonight (while fan favorite Vedvik missed 2 FG in MIN btw). Would have liked to see him get the 2nd shot at a 55+ yarder but didn’t necessarily need to. The fast majority of his kicks are going to be from 45 and in and he’s already demonstrated both the leg to hit from 50+ and the accuracy. 

Daniel did not look good but he also had zero time to throw all night and was backed by a 4th and 5th string running game so to at least some extent that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Were he forced into real game action he’d find himself in a situation in which he is far more set up for success. 

Nall looked solid again tonight but I’m still not sure there’s room for him on our roster. He’s probably a back end NFL roster talent but we don’t really have a place for him. I don’t think it’d be a terrible idea to reach out to Houston and see if we can flip him as depth for a conditional late pick in light of the Lamar Miller injury. It’s a long shot, but worth a phone call. 

Every game I see Marvin Hall play I see less and less that I like enough to keep him over quality depth elsewhere. He didn’t look bad tonight but didn’t stand out even against 3rd and 4th teamers, and with Whyte emerging as a KR last week and several PR options already in house I’m growing less and less convinced that he sticks to the 53. 

Vaughters continues to show more than Irving and especially Fitts. He’s an effort guy with limited pass rush moves but his skill set and approach should translate well to ST as well. 

Our broadcasts keep talking up Michael Joseph but I’ve yet to see him look good in a game in the last 2 preseasons. 

Be nice to get Coward back soon because Lucas reminds me of JWebb on his worst days.  Worst technique I've ever watched.  Having Bars play some at OT against some starters would be a good idea.  Be nice if he could play some OT in an emergency.  I keep praying to the Gods to spare Leno and Massie from injury because we are thinner than deli sliced pastrami at OT.

Piniero locked himself into a job tonight.  Now all he can do is lose it.

Daniel shouldn't be judged based on how he plays in these games.  Playing without any first string talent is like asking him to win a war with a cutlass and a flintlock pistol.  Bray may have looked better but who was he up against?  Daniels still gives us a 50/50 at winning in real time, Bray doesn't.  He looked good in one preseason game last year too.....and that's it.  We need more young QB talent.

The thing with Nall is that he's made most of his yardage on one long run in each of the last two preseasons.  Take those away and he's a 3.5-4.0 ypc guy who can catch and block some but no DC will worry much about him.  His best role is probably as an HB/FB/TE type. You could try to trade him but I doubt you'd get many offers since he's 50/50 to be cut anyway.  IMHO Whyte will be more difficult to sneak through waivers.  Someone could pick him up exclusively as a KR.  I'd still keep Whyte for now and waive Nall hoping we can PS him.

It's possible that cutting M Hall could be a key to keeping both Nall and Whyte.  Together they add more value than Hall.  Whyte has similar size and speed and could be schemed as another deep threat if needed but I'm think we really don't.  I see more versatility in keeping Whyte and Nall if possible than keeping Hall.

Vaughters should be looked at really hard vs Fitts.  Fitts has no power at all.  As soon as an OT gets his hands on him he's stymied.

51 minutes ago, soulman said:

Be nice to get Coward back soon because Lucas reminds me of JWebb on his worst days.  Worst technique I've ever watched.  Having Bars play some at OT against some starters would be a good idea.  Be nice if he could play some OT in an emergency.  I keep praying to the Gods to spare Leno and Massie from injury because we are thinner than deli sliced pastrami at OT.

Piniero locked himself into a job tonight.  Now all he can do is lose it.

Daniel shouldn't be judged based on how he plays in these games.  Playing without any first string talent is like asking him to win a war with a cutlass and a flintlock pistol.  Bray may have looked better but who was he up against?  Daniels still gives us a 50/50 at winning in real time, Bray doesn't.  He looked good in one preseason game last year too.....and that's it.  We need more young QB talent.

The thing with Nall is that he's made most of his yardage on one long run in each of the last two preseasons.  Take those away and he's a 3.5-4.0 ypc guy who can catch and block some but no DC will worry much about him.  His best role is probably as an HB/FB/TE type. You could try to trade him but I doubt you'd get many offers since he's 50/50 to be cut anyway.  IMHO Whyte will be more difficult to sneak through waivers.  Someone could pick him up exclusively as a KR.  I'd still keep Whyte for now and waive Nall hoping we can PS him.

It's possible that cutting M Hall could be a key to keeping both Nall and Whyte.  Together they add more value than Hall.  Whyte has similar size and speed and could be schemed as another deep threat if needed but I'm think we really don't.  I see more versatility in keeping Whyte and Nall if possible than keeping Hall.

Vaughters should be looked at really hard vs Fitts.  Fitts has no power at all.  As soon as an OT gets his hands on him he's stymied.

I was really down on Daniel as he has no pocket awareness. He was sacked twice and I suppose you could attribute some of that to horrible Oline play. I just think Bray showed a much better arm. 

Nice writeup on the game:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/24/nfl-preseason-week-3-key-stats-from-bears-win-over-colts/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

While it came as no surprise that the Bears rested its starters against the Colts, the reserves gave the fans a show as Chicago notched its first preseason win of the year, a 27-17 victory on Saturday night at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Less than a week after winning the kicker competition over Elliott Fry, Eddy Pineiro took every kick and looked confident, whether it was drilling a 58-yard field goal or booting kickoffs out of the endzone.

He was perfect on the night, connecting on both of his field goals, from 21 and 58 yards, as well as all three of his extra points.

On offense, Ryan Nall made his case for making the 53-man roster, as he led the Bears in rushing for a second straight game, although he only had two carries.

He broke free for a 69-yard run late in the second quarter, which set up a 21-yard field goal by Eddy Pineiro. Nall also had one reception for 11 yards.

With Mitch Trubisky resting for his second straight preseason game, Chase Daniel got the start, but he failed to impress once again. Daniel finished 3-of-9 for 21 yards and a 42.4 passer rating.

Tyler Bray fared better, completing 11-of-16 passes for 136 yards, one touchdown and one interception, for a passer rating of 89.6.

Two Bears undrafted rookie tight ends led the team in receiving. Jesper Horstead had three receptions for 39 yards and a touchdown, while Ian Bunting had two receptions for 31 yards.

While the Bears defense struggled against Colts quarterback Chad Kelly, they settled in when Phillip Walker took over. Chicago forced three turnovers in the victory including two interceptions

One of those interceptions was an impressive pick six by safety Deon Bush, who wrestled the ball out of the hands of Colts tight end Hale Hentges and returned the ball 91 yards for a touchdown. Bush also had three tackles and one pass defensed.

The reserve linebackers once again led the way for the Bears. Jameer Thurman led the Bears in tackles with eight, while Josh Woods and Joel Iyiegbuniwe each had five tackles and a sack. Nick Kwiatkoski added four tackles and a sack.

BY THE NUMBERS

0 – Number of Bears starters that played against Colts

0 – Punt return yards by Marvin Hall

3 – Turnovers forced by the Bears

9 – Points scored by Eddy Pineiro

27 – Points scored by the Bears

42.4 – Chase Daniel’s passer rating

58 – Distance of Eddy Pineiro’s longest field goal

69 – Length of Ryan Nall’s run in the second quarter

70 – Receiving yards by Bears tight ends

91 – Distance of Deon Bush’s pick-six

103.1 – Chad Kelly’s passer rating against Bears defense

Via dictation:  Bars first series at LT he did  his job but didn't look good second series he looked real good  third series it was a mixed bag had some good and bad  but he did his job   Fourth series he was OK he missed a block Bottom line is his man never made a tackle

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Via dictation:  Bars first series at LT he did  his job but didn't look good second series he looked real good  third series it was a mixed bag had some good and bad  but he did his job   Fourth series he was OK he missed a block Bottom line is his man never made a tackle

Hopefully Heistand can coach him up.