The Official Thread of Penn State University

Utley

Franlin hit a homerun with the Moorehead hiring but promoting Rahne was a mistake. Don't think he was ready to call plays fulltime.

Results have been disappointing in these big games, but gotta stick with Franklin. The recruits he is brining in will give us a shot to win every year and recruting is the hardest part of college football. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2018 at 5:35 PM, mm6492 said:

Franlin hit a homerun with the Moorehead hiring but promoting Rahne was a mistake. Don't think he was ready to call plays fulltime.

Results have been disappointing in these big games, but gotta stick with Franklin. The recruits he is brining in will give us a shot to win every year and recruting is the hardest part of college football. 

I don't completely disagree with you but until they get to the point where they can play truly dominant football each and every week, they will not play in a National Championship Game or be regarded as serious contenders for a Championship.  This could be another big loss today against Iowa.  The recruiting has been much better under Franklin but this team, under Franklin and Bill O'Brien has seriously underachieved.

If they fall flat on their face today because of poor play calling and performance, I do think it's time to consider moving on from Franklin.

Edited by wwhickok

1 hour ago, mm6492 said:

Gotta assume he will redshirt at this point.

He was injured early in August and ended up missing all of fall camp, and most of September. An insane talent who just fell way behind this year because of injury. 

We’ll probably see him against Rutgers, Maryland and the bowl game so he still redshirts.

And I’d expect him to start next year (and be a massive improvement over Thompkins/Polk, which ain’t saying much).

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

Well, if this team plays as poorly next year as it has this year, James Franklin will belong on the hotseat

This team is consistently failed to compete against the biggest baddest Big Ten teams. Yeah they got a good win last year against Michigan at home but then look at what happened to this year against Ohio State and now Michigan. 42 to nothing right now against Michigan and I'm sure they're not done scoring. Come on this is pathetic get a guy that can recruit legitimate talent because the wide receivers on this team alone are complete trash and so is that offensive line.

Question. What's the deal with Manny Bowen? We're desperately in the need of LB's, and he seems to be the best available transfer on the market, and has been in contact with our staff. I know he's had some off the field issues, but were those more of the mundane knucklehead college kid variety, or is he a major turd? 

Edited by Texasmade

1 hour ago, Texasmade said:

Question. What's the deal with Manny Bowen? We're desperately in the need of LB's, and he seems to be the best available transfer on the market, and has been in contact with our staff. I know he's had some off the field issues, but were those more of the mundane knucklehead college kid variety, or is he a major turd? 

He was reinstated but then quit the team to focus on school before even seeing the field again. IIRC.

On ‎3‎-‎11‎-‎2018 at 11:58 PM, wwhickok said:

James Franklin has been an underachieving head coach since he got here. You would have had to be foolish to think PSU was gonna win this game. But they didn't even compete.

What is/was your expectation of him that makes you say he is underachieving? Penn State had won 3 big 10 titles in like 25 years, and Franklink has won 1 in 5 years (counting this season as well). And just imagine what 2017 would have looked like if they had scored 5 more points (38-39 at osu and 24-27 at michigan state).

• Like 1