Sign in to follow this  
Karnage84

An eye towards the 2020 Draft

I'm not ready to throw in the towel after our Week 1 tie. This is just intended to be more of a running thread throughout the season. On a week-to-week basis, what do you view as the Lions team needs? Which college players do you like and see as potential fits for the Lions?

From the Arizona game, the glaring needs to me are:

OL- Decker doesn't look like our LT of the future, so that might need to be addressed; OG was already an issue

Pass Rush: If the Lions do finish in the top 10 as some pundits have predicted, there are a few guys like Chase Young, AJ Epenesa that would be available and could help fill this need. It's possible that the return of Jarrad Davis resolves this but for now, we can use a speed guy on the edge

S - Walker had some up-and-down moments. Depending on how things shake out, it might be hard to pass on a top tier guy like Grant Delpit.

WR - Marvin Jones wasn't much of a factor in this game although it's just a small sample size. However, we will eventually have to get his replacement on the roster at some point.

OL is a big one IMO.  I think we need some help there early on.  I know we have spent a lot of resources on the OL so not sure I trust Quinn's scouting of the position but we need to do something to improve the line as a whole. 

WR I feel like we can find more in the mid rounds.  We don't need to draft a Jeudy type in the top of the first but would like to draft 1 or 2 in the 2-4 rounds. 

Pass Rush, I always feel like DE's are a need even if they truly aren't.  I think our DL is a strength but would always like to add to it, especially if we have a high pick.

DB, again I don't fully trust Quinn in this department but definitely need to add some talent to the back end.  I'm not sure it needs to be 1st round need, but earlier rounds. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

OL is a big one IMO.  I think we need some help there early on.  I know we have spent a lot of resources on the OL so not sure I trust Quinn's scouting of the position but we need to do something to improve the line as a whole. 

WR I feel like we can find more in the mid rounds.  We don't need to draft a Jeudy type in the top of the first but would like to draft 1 or 2 in the 2-4 rounds. 

Pass Rush, I always feel like DE's are a need even if they truly aren't.  I think our DL is a strength but would always like to add to it, especially if we have a high pick.

DB, again I don't fully trust Quinn in this department but definitely need to add some talent to the back end.  I'm not sure it needs to be 1st round need, but earlier rounds. 

At this point, assuming everything else is equal, I'm of the feeling that we should add to a strength as opposed to trying to patch a hole. If Chase Young, Walker Little, Grant Delpit and Jerry Jeudy are all sitting there for us to pick, I'm leaning towards the DE.

- We spent years complaining about Ansah not having help on the other side at end. Okwara is a spot starter and high end depth but is a guy that can be upgraded.

- A'Shawn is likely not going to be around for long. We have been able to find some guys who can replace him but I don't want to see the depth and talent of this unit get eroded

- I don't expect Mike Daniel's to come back, assuming that he plays well, due to a big contract

- We paid big money to Flowers. I'm good with giving him some help so that we can maximize the value of that contract and let him do what he needs to do.

Otherwise, I think we need to add to the OL and address OT.

You can never go wrong drafting linemen assuming you draft the right guys.🤠

Decker may not be an all star but Arizona was the worst game of his career. He got beat like a rented mule. I expect a much better game from him next week. If he continues to struggle badly,  LT,  in my view instantly becomes the number one need. 

The defence looked really good for 80% of the game. When they let up, well, we know what happened.

At this early stage my concern is the secondary but that’s really a left over from last year. 

If the season implodes the number one need might be a QB. 

Lets scrap the whole thing. Top to bottom. Ford out, Quinn out, Patricia out. Trade Stafford.

Get Dan Gilbert in to own the team. Hire Dave Dombrowski as GM. Rex Ryan as HC. I think 2020 means it’s our turn with Fitzpatrick. Focus all assets on playmakers. 

Run only wildcat formation plays.

Edited by TimeForChange

10 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

You can never go wrong drafting linemen assuming you draft the right guys.🤠

Decker may not be an all star but Arizona was the worst game of his career. He got beat like a rented mule. I expect a much better game from him next week. If he continues to struggle badly,  LT,  in my view instantly becomes the number one need. 

The defence looked really good for 80% of the game. When they let up, well, we know what happened.

At this early stage my concern is the secondary but that’s really a left over from last year. 

If the season implodes the number one need might be a QB. 

If the season does implode, I still expect Patricia/Quinn to be given the beginning of the 2020 season to turn things around. If there's another rough start, I can see the firing squad being lined up and change happening quickly with an eye towards Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 draft.

On a related note - Walker Little is apparently out for the season. I doubt that he'd declare for the 2020 draft, so we'll have to turn our eyes towards some other guys for that spot.

Assuming that Decker is an average-to-slightly above average starting LT (and he's probably more average than more), how much does the issues at LG affect his play from being a better player? If we spend early picks at other spots (Say Chase Young) but add someone as a FA or a mid-round pick, how much better would Decker be with improved help inside or do we need to upgrade from him without question?

36 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

If the season does implode, I still expect Patricia/Quinn to be given the beginning of the 2020 season to turn things around. If there's another rough start, I can see the firing squad being lined up and change happening quickly with an eye towards Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 draft.

On a related note - Walker Little is apparently out for the season. I doubt that he'd declare for the 2020 draft, so we'll have to turn our eyes towards some other guys for that spot.

Assuming that Decker is an average-to-slightly above average starting LT (and he's probably more average than more), how much does the issues at LG affect his play from being a better player? If we spend early picks at other spots (Say Chase Young) but add someone as a FA or a mid-round pick, how much better would Decker be with improved help inside or do we need to upgrade from him without question?

I think Decker can be serviceable. And yes if there is a weak spot on the line it makes them all look bad.  I still think we should replace him (or move him to LG) sooner than later.  I was disappointed that no resources this offseason went to the O line.  It was a weakness last year and all we added were some UDFA's. 

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Decker can be serviceable. And yes if there is a weak spot on the line it makes them all look bad.  I still think we should replace him (or move him to LG) sooner than later.  I was disappointed that no resources this offseason went to the O line.  It was a weakness last year and all we added were some UDFA's. 

The most interesting part to me, is that our team needs seem very similar for 2020 as they were for 2019, at least for now

- OL

-DE

- CB

- WR

- Backup QB

The only ones that we've addressed that are less pressing are: TE and LB. Tavai does look like he belongs and Hockenson is looking an ascending star, although we'll pump the brakes on that until we face off against a defense playing its starters.