2020 Draft thread

lavar703

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The bottom line and my point since @lavar703 convinced me and I watched Chase totally wreck college OTs & break OSU sack records while missing 2 games with a suspension is that, we need to take the BPA we can for our team.

As I’ve said multiple times, we have other good young players already and maybe a few great ones - Haskins, Sweat, Terry, Steve Sims, Guice, Allen, Ioannidis, Payne Holcomb and Dunny - have that potential. The Redskins are not devoid of talent, their main issue is that they are mostly young and inexperienced. About 1/2 of their roster is under 25.

Also, the fact that some of those vet and former players didn’t or haven’t won a super bowl isn’t a reflection on them. It just shows you how tough it is to win a super bowl in the NFL. The fact that the Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys & Pats have won so many - especially Pats this century - is a testament to how great those organizations are run or were run at one time.

It’a not easy to win a Super Bowl. It’s probably the hardest thing to do in pro sports bc you need 22 men working in unison for one common goal to win one and they have to all do your job well ok almost every play. I do think that Deacon Jones played in one or more though.

Im not knocking it and can go along with it.  But with Trent being so iffy and 32. Personally I like the idea of getting the future Trent, with a CB, LB with a couple of the picks we gathered. And can still address DE while at it.

Though if we could address some of the issue spots in FA. Then you can toss what I said on out the window. And the Chase pick becomes all the more exciting.

33 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im not knocking it and can go along with it.  But with Trent being so iffy and 32. Personally I like the idea of getting the future Trent, with a CB, LB with a couple of the picks we gathered. And can still address DE while at it.

Though if we could address some of the issue spots in FA. Then you can toss what I said on out the window. And the Chase pick becomes all the more exciting.

Go along? Young is the best prospect in the draft. If there wasn't a QB like Burrow, he’d definitely go first, he still may even go first but unlikely.

We aren't going to the playoffs this year most likely. We’ll likely pick in the top 10 again next year, we can take a LT next year if Christian doesn't look a lot better this preseason.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Ok thanks. I didn't watch much of him before or after the transfer just know he was the guy before Lawrence. 

He wasn't doing that great as a passer after Watson went pro. Athletic good at ZBS but not a good passer, of course that doesn't matter for a Tysom Hill type swiss army guy. 

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We could do that with Steven Sims, Chris Thompson if we kept him.

Or, you draft that kind of player later in the draft, like you said Tate, he can be a swiss army knife for us. I have see Tate from AZ play before but not too often bc I’m asleep by the time they're on TV - I have to admit I was worried you were talking about Tate Martell haha 😂 !!

I’d definitely take Khalil Tate in the 7th round or pick him up as an UDFA to be a 3rd QB/wildcat QB/5th receiver and special teams guy.

I'll take Malcolm Perry for $1000 turtle28

Though chances are Belichick spends a 4th or 5th round pick on him like he did for Cardona.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Go along? Young is the best prospect in the draft. If there wasn't a QB like Burrow, he’d definitely go first, he still may even go first but unlikely.

We aren't going to the playoffs this year most likely. We’ll likely pick in the top 10 again next year, we can take a LT next year if Christian doesn't look a lot better this preseason.

Go along. Yes. I dont see that much of a dropoff in our defense if we went for Chase or a guy like AJ. The DL will still be dominate one way or the other. Other positions not so much so and need addressing with star caliber talent. Give me a balance of AJ paired with a Trevon Diggs any day. Cause both could be seeing probowls in their careers.

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'll take Malcolm Perry for $1000 turtle28

Though chances are Belichick spends a 4th or 5th round pick on him like he did for Cardona.  

Maybe and if he does, he can have him. I think he can develop into a slot corner, he can learn from Edelman. 

5 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Go along. Yes. I dont see that much of a dropoff in our defense if we went for Chase or a guy like AJ. The DL will still be dominate one way or the other. Other positions not so much so and need addressing with star caliber talent. Give me a balance of AJ paired with a Trevon Diggs any day. Cause both could be seeing probowls in their careers.

You just don’t get Young’s potential. His ceiling is the highest in the draft. It’s higher than even the Bosa brothers who made their defenses good and even great at times immediately. There hasn’t been a guy w/ Young’s size/athleticism combo to come out since Julius Peppers the 2nd overall pick in 2002. You just don't pass on that type if generational talent. If you do you should be ish canned as a GM after the first night of the draft! It's not that the other players aren't great prospects too,  it's just they aren't the prospect that Chase Young is.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

First off if chase young wasn’t in this draft then We probably wouldn’t be going edge anyways so AJ would be an after thought. Even if we somehow managed to get the dolphins 3 first rounders (would never happen) I would seriously doubt they would take an edge with any of those.

you have to remember we still have Kerrigan who will finally get to play with his hand in the dirt. Yeah I know he’s only got a year left and he’s getting older but.... with the talent on the board we could be better off going other positions

Chase Young is the only reason we will be going edge 1st round in this draft and that just speaks for the talent he has.

if young wasn’t in this draft, Trent comes back, and we kept Kerrigan and had two or 3 first rounders in this draft then you would have to think FS, CB, WR, TE, OL, would all be picked before an edge.

in the end Chase Young is the only reason we go edge and it’s bc he’s ELITE and the best prospect in the draft

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

First off if chase young wasn’t in this draft then We probably wouldn’t be going edge anyways so AJ would be an after thought. Even if we somehow managed to get the dolphins 3 first rounders (would never happen) I would seriously doubt they would take an edge with any of those.

you have to remember we still have Kerrigan who will finally get to play with his hand in the dirt. Yeah I know he’s only got a year left and he’s getting older but.... with the talent on the board we could be better off going other positions

Chase Young is the only reason we will be going edge 1st round in this draft and that just speaks for the talent he has.

if young wasn’t in this draft, Trent comes back, and we kept Kerrigan and had two or 3 first rounders in this draft then you would have to think FS, CB, WR, TE, OL, would all be picked before an edge.

in the end Chase Young is the only reason we go edge and it’s bc he’s ELITE and the best prospect in the draft

Agreed, this is so true, if Chase wasn't in this draft we wouldn’t be going edge high in the draft and we’d probably be looking to trade down to a team that wanted one of the top 3 QBs.

I do NOT understand this infatuation with trying to prove that somehow 2 or 3 players who may be up being good players are better then having a generational talent who has a strong possibility of being All-Pro as a rookie and most of his career. We all know we haven't had an All-Pro on the redskins since I was in grade school, and now ”I'm a man... I'm 40,” in my Mike Gundy voice!

Ask the Rams about that who passed on Keuchly in 2012 and the Browns who passed on both Carson Wentz and Julio Jones last decade.

Frankly, it's a ridiculous take tbh.

Like AJ, he’s fine, probably has Ryan Kerrigan type potential but Chase Young’s already better than Kerrigan day 1 he steps onto the Redskins practice field, he'll be the best pass rusher we've had since Manley. Those guys don't just grow in trees and you shouldn't pass on that kind of talent at any position.

I agree if Chase wasn't in this draft where you said we'd be targeting. Honestly, we'd either be taking Okudah or Jeudy - if Trent returns - or trading back and taking Delpit around 10.

As for Kerrigan having his hand in the dirt, I don't think it's going to matter. He has been capable - before battling injuries this past year - of getting double-digit sacks every year he's been in the league as a 3-4 OLB and the position are very similar except sometimes 3-4 OLBs have to cover but at most it’s like 25% of the game and I think that's even a high guess.  Last year Kerrigan did tie for his lowest sack total of his career bc he missed 5 games with injury but, he probably would’ve had his lowest total of his career even if he had stayed healthy for all 16. My guess is he would of ended up with 7.5. It would have been his lowest total in his career before last year was his rookie year with 7.5.

He's not an ascending player, he's a descending player. Even with his hand in the dirt - which he did 70-80% of the game anyways since 2011 - I'm not sure he gets double-digit sacks again in his career - whatever’s left of it.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

This I know. I was merely giving a sample that if we went that direction. We can find talent at that position that wouldnt be any type of major dropoff in our overall DL.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You just don’t get Young’s potential. His ceiling is the highest in the draft. It’s higher than even the Bosa brothers who made their defenses good and even great at times immediately. There hasn’t been a guy w/ Young’s size/athleticism combo to come out since Julius Peppers the 2nd overall pick in 2002. You just don't pass on that type if generational talent. If you do you should be ish canned as a GM after the first night of the draft! It's not that the other players aren't great prospects too,  it's just they aren't the prospect that Chase Young is.

You just dont get Burrows potential. His ceiling is Tom Brady! He can fling it all over against all the 4-5 star CBs of the SECW. Blah Blah Blah.

Thats how you sound to me with hyping your OSU boy so hard.

If you cant promise Deacon Jones numbers over the rest of the league. Then hes not worth trying to find up around 3 probowlers to me. Peppers never won a Super Bowl, Deacon Jones never won one. Like I said. When guys like LT, or Reggie White, Singletary, Ray Lewis or any of the defensive greats won one. They had a cast of talent. Cast of talent win Super Bowls. And I prefer a team built and winning over just settling for selling #2 jerseys.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

That's why we drafted Christian, he's the 3rd OT. Maybe even after this offseason he still won't be the answer, but he's there. We have invested in the OT position well in the draft this decade as opposed to just decade when we drafted Chris Samuel in 2000 and then didn't draft anyone until I think 2006 - was or Molarino? - it was 6th round picks and we took two guards and both of them were busts. 

We signed the 40-year-old Ray Brown last decade - one year he filled in for Randy Thomas at guard and the next for Samuel at RT - we didn't draft Stephon Heyer, he was an UDFA out of Maryland. 

Anyways, the point is we have a depth OT and if Trent comes back we have two starters. I wouldn't draft a LT high unless Trent is gone, until then, I’d just roll with what we have.

37 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

You just dont get Burrows potential. His ceiling is Tom Brady! He can fling it all over against all the 4-5 star CBs of the SECW. Blah Blah Blah.

Thats how you sound to me with hyping your OSU boy so hard.

If you cant promise Deacon Jones numbers over the rest of the league. Then hes not worth trying to find up around 3 probowlers to me. Peppers never won a Super Bowl, Deacon Jones never won one. Like I said. When guys like LT, or Reggie White, Singletary, Ray Lewis or any of the defensive greats won one. They had a cast of talent. Cast of talent win Super Bowls. And I prefer a team built and winning over just settling for selling #2 jerseys.

It's not just bc he plays at Ohio State, I’m every non-partisan when I talk the draft. I don't overhype OSU, Maryland or WVU players bc I actually care about getting the right players for the Redskins.

I haven't overhyped any OSU players to the skins that can even remember, I didn't even think Michael Thomas was worth a 1st round pick - boy was I wrong! I didn't think Elliot should’ve been taken until 20 with Houston in that draft.

So, it has nothing to do with his going to OSU, you assume that, but it has to do with the player and his talent. If Young had gone to Michigan, Virginia or Virginia Tech - 3 schools I HATE the most - I’D still want him bc of his talent.