2020 Draft thread

lavar703

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Kyle Smith is gonna take Calvin Johnson not Jamarcus Russel. 

Every GM has bad picks.  Hell, some GMs usually have bad positions.  Ozzie Newsome couldn't draft a WR to save his life.  Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton and Breshad Perriman in the first, Torrey Smith was the only WR who had a decent career for the Ravens worth a damn.  Then again, Newsome could draft and churn over offensive linemen and linebackers like few others.  Kyle Smith is far from perfect, and he probably had Bruce Allen and Snyder filtering at least some of his draft picks, and could see Rivera filter them as well.  He's earned his promotion, but he's not infallible.  No one is.  

4 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So if you could land Amari Cooper, Minka Fitzpatrick, and Luke Keuchly over just Julius Peppers yout telling me your taking just Julius Peppers? Walterfootball has Jeudy actually compared more to Beckham than Cooper. 

The odds of the players being drafted at this positions turning out to be like their comparisons and making multiple Pro Bowls is infinitesimally small.  Odds are that the Redskins may get two players who have successful careers out of those three first round picks, and one might be an annual Pro Bowl guy.  Chase Young is a huge prospect, and even while there is the chance he could be a bust like Robert Gallery or Aaron Curry, getting an elite talent like Young at arguably the most impactful position on the field outside QB is something you shouldn't turn down. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Every GM has bad picks.  Hell, some GMs usually have bad positions.  Ozzie Newsome couldn't draft a WR to save his life.  Travis Taylor, Mark Clayton and Breshad Perriman in the first, Torrey Smith was the only WR who had a decent career for the Ravens worth a damn.  Then again, Newsome could draft and churn over offensive linemen and linebackers like few others.  Kyle Smith is far from perfect, and he probably had Bruce Allen and Snyder filtering at least some of his draft picks, and could see Rivera filter them as well.  He's earned his promotion, but he's not infallible.  No one is.  

You asked why it mattered, I gave you MY response. It's no guarntee Young will live up to the Hype or won't get injured costing him to miss time. So I'll separate/spread my eggs out rather than putting them all in 1 basket when it comes to building a COMPLETE Football Team. 

Edited by Skins212689

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

The odds of the players being drafted at this positions turning out to be like their comparisons and making multiple Pro Bowls is infinitesimally small.  Odds are that the Redskins may get two players who have successful careers out of those three first round picks, and one might be an annual Pro Bowl guy.  Chase Young is a huge prospect, and even while there is the chance he could be a bust like Robert Gallery or Aaron Curry, getting an elite talent like Young at arguably the most impactful position on the field outside QB is something you shouldn't turn down. 

I'm turning it down if offered 3 1st round picks or more. Nothing will change my stance on this topic. 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

You asked why it mattered, I gave you MY response. It's no guarntee Young will live up to the Hype or won't get injured costing him to miss time. So I'll separate my eggs rather than putting them all in 1 basket when it comes to building a COMPLETE Football Team. 

So Kyle Smith is going to take the best player in every situation, with every pick in every round.  

Got it.  

We need to roll up the Brinks trucks to his house and pay him 10 figures to keep him away from other NFL teams.  Can't argue with 100% success ratios.  Even Belichick doesn't approach that rarified atmosphere.  

I'm turning it down if offered 3 1st round picks or more. Nothing will change my stance on this topic. 

That's fine.  I completely get the line in the sand, and if that's your Godfather offer to trade the pick, maybe someone gives it up if they are enamored with one of the QBs.  I view the draft the same as the lottery and betting (the more chances the better) but sometimes you've got to make the smart bet instead of continuing to double down.  I view the first round as the ability to get an elite talent, and then the rest of the draft as the way to make trades, acquire more picks and play the lottery that way.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So Kyle Smith is going to take the best player in every situation, with every pick in every round.  

Got it.  

We need to roll up the Brinks trucks to his house and pay him 10 figures to keep him away from other NFL teams.  Can't argue with 100% success ratios.  Even Belichick doesn't approach that rarified atmosphere.  

Getting more picks also gives you a the opportunity to hit more than you miss. If you only draft Young and he doesn't live up to the Hype or is injured, your stuck with him and only him. 

My approach you have 2 other guys to count on if you make a mistake with a pick. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

That's fine.  I completely get the line in the sand, and if that's your Godfather offer to trade the pick, maybe someone gives it up if they are enamored with one of the QBs.  I view the draft the same as the lottery and betting (the more chances the better) but sometimes you've got to make the smart bet instead of continuing to double down.  I view the first round as the ability to get an elite talent, and then the rest of the draft as the way to make trades, acquire more picks and play the lottery that way.  

If you view the 1st round as where the Elite Talent is, why not take 3 chances to get Elite Talent oppose to just 1 if given the opportunity? 

Getting more picks also gives you a the opportunity to hit more than you miss. If you only draft Young and he doesn't live up to the Hype or is injured, your stuck with him and only him. 

My approach you have 2 other guys to count on if you make a mistake with a pick. 

Oh...so number of picks is more important.

Why not then trade down to the 4th round and roll up like 5 or 6 fourth rounders each draft?

• Like 1

If you view the 1st round as where the Elite Talent is, why not take 3 chances to get Elite Talent oppose to just 1 if given the opportunity? 

Because Chase Young is that once in a lifetime prospect at an impactful position, and his floor looks to be that of "perennial Pro Bowl player."  None of the other prospects have the same ceiling or floor.  Nice players?  Absolutely, but as I've explained before, Young can transcend a defense.  We have a nice collection of talented players right now, but no one screams elite.  Chase Young does.  That's why I'm taking him if I had a say in the matter.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

So if you could land Amari Cooper, Minka Fitzpatrick, and Luke Keuchly over just Julius Peppers yout telling me your taking just Julius Peppers? Walterfootball has Jeudy actually compared more to Beckham than Cooper. 

Fam, you really need to stop assuming every first round pick is magically going to end up being an All Pro talent.  Kyle Smith i'm super excited about but outside of Terry McLaurin, no one exactly has been a All-Pro home run pick (yet).  

When there's an Amari Cooper, there's also a Corey Davis, Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell, Mike Williams, and many many others who don't live up to the hype

When there's a Luke Keuchly, there's an Aaron Curry, Haason Reddick, etc. who don't live up to the hype.  

It's great that youre optimistic about our future drafts, but the NFL draft is filled with a multitude of busts in the first round that i'm not sure youre quite acknowledging.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Oh...so number of picks is more important.

Why not then trade down to the 4th round and roll up like 5 or 6 fourth rounders each draft?

It's harder to find Elite Talent later in the draft but it's not Impossible. Tell me how I wrong with the players I'm targeting with those 3 1st round picks. 

6 minutes ago, tredaddy said:

Fam, you really need to stop assuming every first round pick is magically going to end up being an All Pro talent.  Kyle Smith i'm super excited about but outside of Terry McLaurin, no one exactly has been a All-Pro home run pick (yet).  

When there's an Amari Cooper, there's also a Corey Davis, Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell, Mike Williams, and many many others who don't live up to the hype

When there's a Luke Keuchly, there's an Aaron Curry, Haason Reddick, etc. who don't live up to the hype.  

It's great that youre optimistic about our future drafts, but the NFL draft is filled with a multitude of busts in the first round that i'm not sure youre quite acknowledging.  

Image result for rock clap gif

Great post, glad to see you are taking to the site so quickly.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Because Chase Young is that once in a lifetime prospect at an impactful position, and his floor looks to be that of "perennial Pro Bowl player."  None of the other prospects have the same ceiling or floor.  Nice players?  Absolutely, but as I've explained before, Young can transcend a defense.  We have a nice collection of talented players right now, but no one screams elite.  Chase Young does.  That's why I'm taking him if I had a say in the matter.  

Ok and if he BUST or has a significant injury just remember you could've had 2 other guys instead of just him. Also he's no QB so games won't just come down to him most of the time. 

Bosa and all those DLine 1st round picks couldn't stop the Chief's in the SuperBowl. 

Ok and if he BUST or has a significant injury just remember you could've had 2 other guys instead of just him. Also he's no QB so games won't just come down to him most of the time. 

Bosa and all those DLine 1st round picks couldn't stop the Chief's in the SuperBowl. 

So is your argument to trade for three other first round picks, or take Burrow/Tua at this spot?  Because now you are starting to change your argument here.  

If you've got an issue, whatever it is with Chase Young, just say so, because that's what it is sounding like right now.  No one is going to care one way or the other.  

• Like 1