Remaining Schedule

SmittyBacall

5 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

When the  "remaining schedule " thread turns into an offseason thread,  it's not a great sign for the rest of the season. 

I'm hoping for a move to Callahan at offensive line.  We needed a coach on staff who had been a head coach before and he would have been perfect. I wouldn't be opposed to doing similar at defensive coordinator although there isn't a name that seems perfect to me. 

I think aside from getting the right qb, the most important thing to get from this draft is a modern coverage linebacker.  If we are drafting 1 and don't trade back,  I'm targeting that either at the top of 2 or by a trade into the late first. I don't trust free agent linebackers due to potential cost and fit. 

I'd like to add an offensive tackle in free agency though.  The Rams have a good one who's contract should be up this offseason. 

Free agent linebackers (and other positions too) are safer bets than rookies. They cost more of course but we're not short of cap space, we're short of NFL caliber players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Some good news: Darius Philips has returned to practice.

Hopefully he gets an opportunity to start on the outside for the remainder of the season. He's looked good when given the opportunity. Feisty and has a nose for the ball.

Is he eligible to play already, or just practice?

I'd like to see him start too.  He showed some promise there.

35 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

They cost more of course but we're not short of cap space, we're short of NFL caliber players

QFT

They're going to have like 70-100M in cap space following all the cuts they need to make to trim the dead weight.  That's include Bengals funny math.  Spend it on some good players for once.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

QFT

They're going to have like 70-100M in cap space following all the cuts they need to make to trim the dead weight.  That's include Bengals funny math.  Spend it on some good players for once.

It will be far more than that. The Bengals are currently scheduled to be about 65 mil under the cap for 2020. But they are more than 16 mil under the cap for 2019. That cap space can be rolled forward to put us about 81 mil under. If we move Dalton and cut Glenn, Hart, and Kirkpatrick, we'd be 125 mil under. We'll probably tag Green so that would put us about 108 mil under the cap after that.

Edited by sparky151

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Free agent linebackers (and other positions too) are safer bets than rookies. They cost more of course but we're not short of cap space, we're short of NFL caliber players.

Due to the athleticism required for the position, and the amount of hits that they give and take regularly, I'd liken a free agent linebacker just a notch above running back.  I like the idea of someone with less miles.  Also, unless you are bringing a coach that they have previously worked with, thinking the defensive scheme will be a seemless transition for a fa is questionable. So basically, last offseason, if I was looking to fill a linebacker spot, I would have been much more interested in Devin White than CJ Mosely.

And I hope they just don't spend money too aggressively.  Our free agency approach needs t improve, but going full big spender never works out for anyone. I have no interest in watching any more overpaid under-performing players.

Lots of Superbowl teams have benefited from high priced free agents. From Deion Sanders to Reggie White to Peyton Manning, etc. 

The advantage of a free agent is you can see them in actual NFL games vs NFL competition to see what they can do. Instead of trying to project based on how they played vs East Carolina.

14 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Due to the athleticism required for the position, and the amount of hits that they give and take regularly, I'd liken a free agent linebacker just a notch above running back.  I like the idea of someone with less miles.  Also, unless you are bringing a coach that they have previously worked with, thinking the defensive scheme will be a seemless transition for a fa is questionable. So basically, last offseason, if I was looking to fill a linebacker spot, I would have been much more interested in Devin White than CJ Mosely.

And I hope they just don't spend money too aggressively.  Our free agency approach needs t improve, but going full big spender never works out for anyone. I have no interest in watching any more overpaid under-performing players.

ha ha ha... good one

They're only available for the first day or two of free agency. Mike Brown is still napping while the better players sign.

What's wrong with making the 10th best player the highest or 3rd highest paid? The money has to be spent on someone. Better to spend it on above average players than the castoffs like Hart and Brown. 

I really like what Chris Ballard has done in terms of team building in Indianapolis. The Colts are another team with a ton of cap but they don't spend it recklessly. Instead they forego the first 48 hour spending frenzy and poach from a remaining pool of quality players. Guys like Denico Autry, Pierre Desir, and Justin Houston all signed fair deals and play good football for them. The Houston signing especially was masterclass. He costs a fraction of what someone like Trey Flowers costs and has been far more effective. And since he was cut it doesn't effect their compensatory picks next year.  I think this is the best way to approach it. We don't need to spend money for the sake of spending it on players who aren't worth it. Keep your CJ Mosley's and Nate Solder's. Target players with untapped upside at a low/medium-risk cost, or established veterans at medium cost who still have quality football left to give. I loved that we targeted someone like Shaq Barrett. He's a perfect example of someone who fits that bill. So credit the Bengals at least for trying. They just botched it by having an inept medical staff. But that's a complaint for another thread.

• Like 1

The Colts have a core of good players like their O-linemen. They also had Luck at the time of free agency.

Bengals could have signed KJ Wright last year but chose Preston Brown. They probably could have signed Trent Brown or Juwaun James to fix the RT position but instead signed Bobby Hart. Overpaying bad players like Hart and Brown or average players like Uzomah or Gio are why we don't have good players. If the team is unwilling to admit recent drafts have been failures and unwilling to participate meaningfully in free agency, the future is bleak indeed. 

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The Colts have a core of good players like their O-linemen. They also had Luck at the time of free agency.

Not sure what that has to do with signing quality players at moderate cost.

If you don't think we have a good core of players than your beef should be with the people responsible for drafting. That's how you build your core. If your plan is to build your core by spending an absurd amount in free agency you are going to be sorely disappointed with the outcome. 

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

They just botched it by having an inept medical staff. But that's a complaint for another thread

Oh boy is it ever.  They've done a masterful job this year.  From the Barrett deal, to AJ's season long ankle sprain, to putting John Ross on IR and then him being available about 4-5 weeks later.  Oh and then waiting way too long to put Dre on it.

As bad as the on-field performance for the Bengals has been this year, the medical staff has been worse, by far.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

average players like Uzomah or Gio are why we don't have good players. If the team is unwilling to admit recent drafts have been failures and unwilling to participate meaningfully in free agency, the future is bleak indeed. 

I didn't have a problem necessarily with signing Uzomah or Gio to those deals, because they're average players paid an average wage.  But they're not being utilized.  Why pay them to sit on the bench?

They did the same thing with Jeremy Johnson back in the day (different staff, but still).  

There's a disconnect between the coaches and the FO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

I didn't have a problem necessarily with signing Uzomah or Gio to those deals, because they're average players paid an average wage.  But they're not being utilized.  Why pay them to sit on the bench?

They did the same thing with Jeremy Johnson back in the day (different staff, but still).  

There's a disconnect between the coaches and the FO.

Yep. Nothing wrong with those two deals. Gio showed last Sunday he’s still has lots of ability to offer.