Arthur Smith

titans0021

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

So basically all this break down to say Arthur Smith is a trash play caller and OC. Anybody with eyes can see that just by watching on Sundays.

I’ve always found it best to verify that what I see with my eyes is accurate. Also helps to know that the incompetence is evident whether you look at basic stats, advanced stats, or film.

• Like 1

So, simply based on the position of our QB, teams have a 70% chance or greater to predict whether it's going to be a run or pass.

Are other teams that predictable? That just sounds insane.

I think we must run 100% of the time we motion CD84 next to the TE because when we did that the Bucs were just selling out on the run.

Edited by TitanSS

12 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

So, simply based on the position of our QB, teams have a 70% chance or greater to predict whether it's going to be a run or pass.

Are other teams that predictable? That just sounds insane.

I think we must run 100% of the time we motion CD84 next to the TE because when we did that the Bucs were just selling out on the run.

The #1 scoring offense is passing out of shotgun 83% of the time and running from under center 70% of the time. Incredible, I know.

18 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

How does that compare to the rest of the league? Are they outliers?

I have to do it by hand for each team, on phone, so obviously I'm not going to do it right now for all 32 teama. But #2 scoring offense:

Shotgun 65% pass

Under center 73% run

With the exception of under center passing for Baltimore (same YPA in shotgun as under center), they each average better the less they throw or run. Must be they're all predictable morons, or something.

1 hour ago, Andrei01 said:

I have to do it by hand for each team, on phone, so obviously I'm not going to do it right now for all 32 teama. But #2 scoring offense:

Shotgun 65% pass

Under center 73% run

With the exception of under center passing for Baltimore (same YPA in shotgun as under center), they each average better the less they throw or run. Must be they're all predictable morons, or something.

Other teams are scoring points and they Titans haven't been, so he's going to be blamed. It's not as if there is no issue.

Part of it is execution, but there's also just something about this offense that makes it look like an uphill battle.

57 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Other teams are scoring points and they Titans haven't been, so he's going to be blamed. It's not as if there is no issue.

Part of it is execution, but there's also just something about this offense that makes it look like an uphill battle.

I understand that. And I know he's nowhere near a Josh McDaniels or Greg Roman level as a play caller. But we were literally making him look like a moron after figuring out how shotgun/under center splits look like, when the other two guys who right now are running the highest scoring offensive units in football are doing the exact same thing. I just find it funny, is all.

Yeah, those were posted on my phone looking solely at the Titans numbers. As I compare it to the league-wide stuff, the ratios aren’t crazy.

There’s just one thing that continuously stands out. We’re a bad running team that insists on trying to be a power running team. The league-wide average yards per carry is 4.3, we’re at 25th in the league at 3.7.

Despite that, we keep running more than other teams. We run more on first down, we run more on second down, we just run more period. We run less on third down because of how often the first and second down runs force us into obvious passing situations.

The entire offensive philosophy is based around 12 and 13 personnel. But we aren’t good at it. That’s what I mean when I call him stubborn and say he’s bashing his head against the wall. His philosophy isn’t working. It hasn’t worked. But no matter what the results say, he won’t change.

I'm not too mad about the 12 personnel usage. We don't have a FB so some of that would be like 21 personnel as Pruitt is often in the backfield, and at 34%, that's not too bad.

What's awful is the league leading 11% of plays coming in 13 personnel. The league average is 3% and there are only 5 other teams that surpass 4%.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I'm not too mad about the 12 personnel usage. We don't have a FB so some of that would be like 21 personnel as Pruitt is often in the backfield, and at 34%, that's not too bad.

What's awful is the league leading 11% of plays coming in 13 personnel. The league average is 3% and there are only 5 other teams that surpass 4%.

Some of the 12 I can deal with, primarily the plays where Delanie and Jonnu are on the field at the same time as they’re both decent blockers and viable pass catchers. I wish we’d cut Pruitt’s snaps in half, maybe even more. He’s honestly less of a receiving option than most of the true fullbacks that exist in today’s games.

In the end though, the league average for 12, 13, and 21 is 30% and we’re at 46%. When we’re averaging 3.7 yards per carry, that’s just crazy. 

Looking at the other teams with high cumulative numbers of 12, 13 and 21, it’s mostly SF, BAL, NE, MIN, OAK and DET. 

The 49ers, Ravens, Vikings and Raiders all average a yard or more per carry than we do. The Patriots are the Patriots, they also have a terrible group of receivers and are constantly playing with a big lead. I’d say we’re most comparable to the Lions, though their run/pass ratio is more pass heavy than ours. 

Really, I’ll continue to be baffled as to why we felt the need to invest so heavily in a slot receiver if this was Arthur’s vision for the offense.

11 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Some of the 12 I can deal with, primarily the plays where Delanie and Jonnu are on the field at the same time as they’re both decent blockers and viable pass catchers. I wish we’d cut Pruitt’s snaps in half, maybe even more. He’s honestly less of a receiving option than most of the true fullbacks that exist in today’s games.

In the end though, the league average for 12, 13, and 21 is 30% and we’re at 46%. When we’re averaging 3.7 yards per carry, that’s just crazy. 

Looking at the other teams with high cumulative numbers of 12, 13 and 21, it’s mostly SF, BAL, NE, MIN, OAK and DET. 

The 49ers, Ravens, Vikings and Raiders all average a yard or more per carry than we do. The Patriots are the Patriots, they also have a terrible group of receivers and are constantly playing with a big lead. I’d say we’re most comparable to the Lions, though their run/pass ratio is more pass heavy than ours. 

Really, I’ll continue to be baffled as to why we felt the need to invest so heavily in a slot receiver if this was Arthur’s vision for the offense.

Man this is what I don’t like about Arthur a good OC has the brain to create mismatches, make a defense account for every player on the field. If dude had a brain I would use Jonnu just how the 49ers used Delanie & Vernon back in the day. Put Jonnu at HBack & put Delanie in line & out wide I would put AJ in the slot sometimes & put Hump out wide. Dude really doesn’t understand how to work with what you got, he’s a joke.

To @Andrei01s point though, that may not be a function of just him. That could be him using personnel that Vrabel wants.

That would just make me want them both gone. I can be okay with being above league in 12 and 21 personnel, but I don't ever want to actually be using more than 1 out of every 10 plays in 13 personnel. 

I think personnel usage should largely come down to getting the most talented 11 on the field, and for the first time as the Titans that looks like 11 personnel right now. 

• Like 2