Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Fick got the Axe back

beekay414

Paul Chryst set this program back so much.

I don't give two ****s what you people say, especially those of you who defend the dope. Chryst got lazy, cut recruiting and got comfortable beating teams he should beat and coached scared and tried to cut the game down vs better programs. He's a grade A certified *** clown and I hope his legacy gets tarnished. He got comfortable and thought he could get away with being Ferentz.

The fact that we pulled Fickell is a god damn miracle. We'll see how long we hold on to him.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Paul Chryst set this program back so much.

I don't give two ****s what you people say, especially those of you who defend the dope. Chryst got lazy, cut recruiting and got comfortable beating teams he should beat and coached scared and tried to cut the game down vs better programs. He's a grade A certified *** clown and I hope his legacy gets tarnished. He got comfortable and thought he could get away with being Ferentz.

The fact that we pulled Fickell is a god damn miracle. We'll see how long we hold on to him.

Paul Chryst hasn't been coach of the Badgers for 342 days, time to move on. 

We all know this team is entirely average when it comes to talent, that's 75% on Chryst. Fickell still plays that average talent instead of seeing what else he has. Right now every freshman on the team other than Ashcroft is on pace to redshirt. No reason for that. We've got an entire IOL of guys with no pro potential whatsoever as seniors, while more talented underclassmen watch them suck. It's the same we've always dealt with.

Hopefully by Big 10 season the OL is Rucci-Nelson-Renfro-Brunner-Mahlman

Until we start playing old WI football and winning up front, this is going to be a long *** year. 

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We all know this team is entirely average when it comes to talent, that's 75% on Chryst. Fickell still plays that average talent instead of seeing what else he has.

Fickell spent all Spring and Fall seeing what he has. I think that 75% needs to rise a bit considering. If Fickell had better options, he'd play them. 

This isn't rocket science. You gave Paul a free pass for YEARS but you're all of a sudden on Fickell's ***? Why is that?

10 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Do you replace an entire program in 342 days? Yes or no?

I know you're a PC apologist but riddle me that.

I agreed that PC should be fired, wasn't an apologist of his whatsoever, just continually told you that if the university was only willing to spend what it was spending, PC was as good as it gets.

Now our AD has shown with the football and hockey hires that the old financial cap is gone and we will spend what it takes to reach the top levels of those sports.

What I'm seeing from Fickell isn't much difference from PC, why I'm surprised you aren't disappointed.

Let's start with the coaching staff, 100% on Fickell and can't have anything traced back to PC. Does anything inspire you? Longo and Bicknell seem like the run the Great Value brand of spread offenses, there's really nothing I've seen in 2 weeks that says to me, I'm really excited to see where this goes. Seems like a couple of older coaches that are content to ride out careers here.

The 3-3-5 is pretty much what we already knew, it will be better when we have a bunch of athletes in the secondary but I've never liked it schematically over the 3-4. 

Now we go to the QB portal where our handpicked selections both look like duds. Locke is the only one that seems like he could be the saving grace of the group and he kind of recruited himself here. Evers can't even pass Burkett on the DC and Mordecai is Jack Cian reincarnated.

The energy in the weight room and recruiting trail is definitely legitimate, I will say that's met early expectations. I'm not saying Fickell is even remotely on the hot seat, I'm saying he's the equivalent right now of buying your dream house and in the first week of living there you notice your roof leaks and you're wondering if you are going to have buyers remorse.

@ramssuperbowl99put it best. We paid to join the likes of big boy football. I think everyone knew we wouldn't be contending for anything big this year, but being up 4 to Buffalo and down 18 at half to WSU isn't what Mac probably envisioned either. Blaming past regimes in any workplace is a loser mentality to me, this is Fickell 's job to fix.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I agreed that PC should be fired, wasn't an apologist of his whatsoever, just continually told you that if the university was only willing to spend what it was spending, PC was as good as it gets.

Now our AD has shown with the football and hockey hires that the old financial cap is gone and we will spend what it takes to reach the top levels of those sports.

What I'm seeing from Fickell isn't much difference from PC, why I'm surprised you aren't disappointed.

Let's start with the coaching staff, 100% on Fickell and can't have anything traced back to PC. Does anything inspire you? Longo and Bicknell seem like the run the Great Value brand of spread offenses, there's really nothing I've seen in 2 weeks that says to me, I'm really excited to see where this goes. Seems like a couple of older coaches that are content to ride out careers here.

The 3-3-5 is pretty much what we already knew, it will be better when we have a bunch of athletes in the secondary but I've never liked it schematically over the 3-4. 

Now we go to the QB portal where our handpicked selections both look like duds. Locke is the only one that seems like he could be the saving grace of the group and he kind of recruited himself here. Evers can't even pass Burkett on the DC and Mordecai is Jack Cian reincarnated.

The energy in the weight room and recruiting trail is definitely legitimate, I will say that's met early expectations. I'm not saying Fickell is even remotely on the hot seat, I'm saying he's the equivalent right now of buying your dream house and in the first week of living there you notice your roof leaks and you're wondering if you are going to have buyers remorse.

@ramssuperbowl99put it best. We paid to join the likes of big boy football. I think everyone knew we wouldn't be contending for anything big this year, but being up 4 to Buffalo and down 18 at half to WSU isn't what Mac probably envisioned either. Blaming past regimes in any workplace is a loser mentality to me, this is Fickell 's job to fix.

This is kind of my stance as well. It seems clear that the majority of our current status and situation comes down to Chryst and I was/am as happy as anyone that he’s gone. I just expected something different this year. Whether it’s playing the more talented guys or playing with more energy and urgency. Just looks like a very similar plan as last year. Obviously I’m happy to give Fickell at least a couple years to get his guys in and change the culture or whatever, I just expected more of a new coach bump, like in soccer.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This analogy is perfect.

After Gary Andersen, my leash for Wisconsin coaches who come in and don't do basic Wisconsin things is virtually zero. To be clear, Fickell is not GA. GA made it known exactly in the beginning who he was with how he treated the HS coaches. I didn't expect immediate overwhelming success, but if next year our OL and DL get worked around in non-conference, he's gotta go.

I mean, ffs, these guys are running their systems with kids that were recruited for archaic form of football. It's like trying to drive a Ferrari with a Hyundai Elantra engine. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how any of you can't see that as the main reason why they look the way they do. Thus the PC stink comments. These are PC's kids and Fickell and company are making due with what was left over. There was never going to be a full-on roster purge. That's not how Fickell operates.

Edited by beekay414

I think I like Mordecai? He missed a couple throws but man, some dimes in there too. That TD pass rolling left was elite. Really seems like Longo’s O will be best though with a true run threat at QB like Howell was, and I can tell Mordecai is not going to be the most consistent QB.

B1G west still feels like ours to lose on account of favorable schedule and getting Iowa at home. This year is a success if we can win it (…and get butchered in the B1G title game). 

I’m less excited about Fickell now then I was 3 weeks ago… but I mean I’m still all in on this hire and will be until we see the team with his guys.