Wisconsin Badgers Thread | Should probably #LockeTheThread lol

beekay414

Takeaways from the game

• OL is not as good as they should be, not on a snap to snap basis anyway. I expect them to improve over the season. They were fine, but did not look like the best OL in the country.
  • JT has gotta fix that fumbling issue, otherwise he reminded us why he is special. Amazing vision and uncanny ability to run between the tackles in traffic and pick up yardage.
  • Love what I saw from Deal, haven't seen him run in years but he showed he will be a great running mate for JT. Runs with great power and balance.
  • Horni was good. No INTs (should have had 1, but in the past we'd be saying he should have had 3). He had several throws off balance/on the run which he delivered with power, loved seeing that.
  • Defense took the bend don't break philosophy to its' limits, I think WKU reached the 5 yard line 3 separate times? Credit to them for making plays when it counted, but we could have easily surrendered 21 points to this team... but we didn't and that's all that matters, but worth noting. As we anticipated, the pass defense might struggle, but that's something that will hopefully improve as they're all inexperienced. The run D is looking like it will continue to be dominant. 

Yeah I generally agree with RMIB. Surprised to see the thread is lukewarm on Horni.

• With the exception of like a 5 minute stretch in the 3rd quarter when we were already up 24-0, that game was completely under control the entire time. Compared to last year, where we would start slow and let the running game take over in the second half, this was a welcomed change. Even when it was 7-0, our defense was forcing 3 and outs deep in their own territory and we were dominating field position.
  • That was one of the best games of Hornibrook's career. The stat line isn't great, and there should have been a pick, but he's definitely "end of last season decisive Hornibrook" (and maybe even moreso than he was last year) than the unsure version. .He was consistently stepping into his throws. Except for the 1 pass, arm strength was never an issue. We didn't have WRs really get open, but he was also able to put some deep throws on tape which is good and he showed the ability to move around in the pocket and throw on the run. 
  • Jonathan Taylor is special, but the fumbles need to stop. That's 7 now in like 11 games as the main back. Deal showed enough for me that he should be the guy in the red zone unless we're confident that Taylor won't give the ball away in big moments.
  • Taylor can at least be trusted to pass block now, which is so huge for our offense. He played way more snaps where he was able to be a decoy versus last year where he made us predictable. Groshek missed a huge pass block assignment that stalled a drive, so there's work to do as a unit on that front, but at least we aren't going to have to limit Taylor to like 35 snaps a game now.
  • Our WRs played badly. Cruikshank didn't play at the WR spot at all that I saw until Pryor was out of the game, but he nearly took a kickoff back. Chryst needs to figure out how to get him the ball more.
  • We need to use Ferguson as a WR instead of a TE honestly, but we can't do that right now because
  • We miss Neuville so much as a blocking TE. I think Chryst had Logan Bruss come in at that spot in the 2nd quarter, and it honestly completely changed the offense. We were able to finally start overwhelming their DL. That really shouldn't have been a problem, but our OL played poorly. Edwards and CVL gave up pressures, and CVL in particular seemed to have a consistently tough time in pass protection. Ironically enough, I think it was Beau B. who had the cleanest game.
  • Defense <3. Our LBs are still Wisconsin LBs. Scott Nelson is already a stud, and except for one blown coverage both he and Hicks played really well. Our secondary is going to need all the experience it can get going into the tougher parts of our schedule, but should be able to improve dramatically over the course of the season.
  • Our DL is an issue. We miss Loudermilk alot. There were a whole lot of 2 DL packages near the end of the game, but we just can't do anything beyond eating space. Kayden Lyles is out of position at DE given how big he is and super raw. Sags can't do it all by himself. This is the area I'm most concerned about. It feels like we're way too dependent on Van Ginkel for pass rush now.

All in all, really clean win and lots of positive takeaways.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Was there last night, got last minute tickets. Guys Scott Nelson is going to be a freakin stud. That was my main take-away.

My main takeaway was Hornibrook's deep ball looked miles better than last year. That ball Taylor dropped was a friggin' dime and a half. 

13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Question now becomes, who does Loudermilk replace as starter? Lyles or Henningsen?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd guess Henningsen, but I'm sure there will be a pretty good rotation of all three of them, especially early on.

36 minutes ago, rcon14 said:
13 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Question now becomes, who does Loudermilk replace as starter? Lyles or Henningsen?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd guess Henningsen, but I'm sure there will be a pretty good rotation of all three of them, especially early on.

With 3 down lineman, do you even really have "starters"? That job is so hard you realistically need 5 guys just to get through a game, and you'd like more than that. Besides, we run tons of 2 down lineman packages in passing situations now.

Would assume this also helps Sags get a breather. Lyles could fill in there if Bryson Williams isn't ready to be rotated in - he's built more like a true NG for our system anyway.