BDL 2019 Week 7 - Anchorage Wolves @ Portland Horned Owls

Whicker

Anchorage Wolves @ Portland Horned Owls  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Anchorage Wolves
    • Portland Horned Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/24/2019 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2019 Week 7

Match:  Anchorage Wolves @ Portland Horned Owls

Away Owner: @Counselor

Home Owner: @SwoleXmad

Vote for who you think will win this game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Gameplan Anchorage

Offense:

QB- Kirk Cousins

RB- Mark Ingram

WR- Tyler Boyd

WR- Preston Williams

WR- Nelson Agholor 

TE- Dawson Knox

LT- Terron Armstead

LG- Joe Thuney

C- Trey Hopkins

RG- Dalton Risner

RT- La’el Collins

RB- Jamaal Williams

RB- Tony Pollard

FB- Alec Ingold

WR- Jakobi Meyers

TE- Noah Fant

OT- Garett Bolles

OG- Mark Glowinski

C/OG- Garrett Bradbury

Defense:

LE- Sam Hubbard

NT- Vita Vea

UT- Javon Hargrave

RE- Trey Flowers

WLB- Jamie Collins

MLB- Joe Schobert

CB- Chidobe Awuzie

CB-Bashaud Breeland

CB- Vernon Hargreaves

FS- Budda Baker

SS- Landon Collins

DE- Jordan Jenkins

DT- Ed Oliver

DE/DT- Derek Wolfe

LB- Jarrad Davis

LB- Uchenna Nwosu

CB- Trumaine Johnson

CB- Sean Murphy-Bunting

S- Jordan Whitehead

Portland Horned Owls

QB1: Patrick "MVKnee" Mahomes II
RB1: Christian McCaffrey
WR1: Marvin Jones 
WR2: Mike Williams

WR3: Dede Westbrook
TE1: Drew Sample
LT: Laremy Tunsil
LG: Will Hernandez
C:  Matt Paradis
RG: Andrew Norwell
RT: Alejandro Villanueva

Reserves:

FB: Patrick Ricard
RB2: Devonta Freeman
RB3: Peyton Barber
WR4: KeeSean Johnson
WR5: Byron Pringle
TE2: Stephen Anderson
OL6: Ben Jones
OL7: Demar Dotson

Portland's 4-2-5 Defense:

DE: Dee Ford 
3T: Linval Joseph
DT: Michael Pierce 
DE: Whitney Mercilus
WLB: Jayon Brown    
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Logan Ryan
CB2: Eli Apple 
SCB: Mackensie Alexander
FS: Marcus Maye
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Zach Brown 
RLB: Kenny Young
CB4: Brandon Facyson
CB5: Ryan Smith
S3: Shawn Williams
DE3: Vic Beasley
DT: DaQuan Jones
DL: Hassan Ridgeway

DL: Patrick Ricard

Anchorage Wolves

Team:

We have lost 4 straight and travel to Portland to take on either a hobbled Mahomes or the rookie Minshew and our old friend McCaffrey. We look to put a hurting on either M&M combo this week. 

Offensive Formations: (3 Wide 40%, 2RB 30%, 2TE 20%, 4 Wide 10%)

Our base offense this week will once again be a 3 wide set. In our three wide we will have Tyler Boyd and Preston Williams on the outside with Nelson Agholor in the slot. Dawson Knox is our TE and he is backed up by Noah Fant. We will run some two tight end sets with Noah Fant as TE2. Like the craze of BDL we will also have a four wide formation with Jakobi Meyers as an additional slot. We will run a heavy dose of two back formations this week with our fullback. This formation will include Alec Ingold as the FB. In two wide formations Boyd and Williams are the outside receivers. 

Offensive Plan of Attack:

We will bring a balanced attack against the Owls and look to do what Hungary did last week and ball control against them and keep the ball out of the hands of M&M as much as possible. We want to run a 50/50 split again of run and pass. If we have a healthy lead our run percentage will go up to run the clock. We were impressed with Jamaal Williams performance last week and he has gained a foothold on the RB2 position this week. We will run a 50/35/15 split with Ingram, Williams, and Pollard. We are hoping this will give our RB’s fresh legs throughout the game. 

We will look to run a 70/30 split of zone to power run plays when we run the ball. They have stout interior defensive tackles but they aren’t the most athletic. We believe zone is the best attack against them. Their ends are fast and undersized, we will look to really be able to hit the holes between the guard and tackle as those ends will get up field quickly and we will have a lot of space behind them. We will attempt to ride them out with our tackles. In the power we will look to pull Dalton Risner on many of the plays as we have been impressed with his ability in the pull game this season. Most of our power runs will include the FB, and we will look to over power the edges of their defense to get big gains outside. 

We will run combo routes against their zone and man coverage looking for the weak spots at various levels of their coverage for Cousins to pick on. We will look to stretch the seams with our TE and get our backs out into the flat. We want to stretch the seams often with Knox and Agholor to open up underneath routes for Boyd and Williams. Other route combos will include stretching the defense with our outside receivers and allowing the slot receiver and TE to work those intermediate routes. If Portland decides to play out of their character and becomes blitz heavy we will run some screens to our backs to keep them honest. 

We will utilize motions with our TE to determine coverage. We will go empty formation a couple times this game as well by motioning a RB out into the slot in our 3 wide formations. In our 3 wide and 4 wide Cousins will line up in shotgun. In the 2 TE and 2 RB sets Cousins will line up under center. We will motion to determine coverage and if we see its a zone look we will run some play action out of our shotgun formations to freeze the LBers in zone to hit slants and early crossers right behind them, as well as hold the safeties for our seam attacks. 

Defensive Formations:

Our Base D will be a nickel this week against any 3 wide sets and a 4-3 under against any 2 wide and less sets. Sam Hubbard gets the start at LE replacing the departed Cam Jordan. We will turn to Uchenna Nwosu as our SLB in 3 LBer sets. Vernon Hargreaves will play the Nickel Corner in our base nickel with Trumaine Johnson joining the fun in four wide sets on the outside with Breeland moving into the dime spot. Against an empty set we will walk Budda Baker down over the fifth option and play Landon Collins deeper. 

Defensive Plan of Attack:

We are unsure if we will face a hobbled Mahomes or some Minshew Magic, but we will prepare for both the same way. We will once again mix up our coverages to attempt to create confusion, while also always playing press to disguise all coverages the same. Once again this week our coverages will be between Man/Single High, Cover 2, and Cover 3. Against three wide and four wide sets we will walk Collins down into the box like a third LBer. Even in Cover 2 against these sets he will play up and then peel back into his zone as the press will buy him time to get back. We traded them some speed this past week in Dede and we want to make sure we jam him up to throw off timing. Chidobe Awuzie is our best corner and he will line up opposite Mike Williams all game. Even if we play zone he will still line up to the side of Mike Williams, and while he obviously will stick to his zone assignment he will still be tasked with pressing Williams. In man he has Williams always. 

The biggest threat on their offense is our former draft pick Christian McCaffrey. We plan to utilize our ends as outside contain, not over running plays, or getting too aggressive up field against the run. We want to funnel McCaffrey inside and keep him bottled up there against Javon Hargrave and Vita Vea (who helped hold him to 1.4 ypc IRL). Our Linebackers will be very gap disciplined as we do not want to blow any assignments and give McCaffrey any big gains. Solid sound defensive football is the name of our game this week against the run. We utilize our dline rotation to provide some breathers for our starters to help keep them fresh. 

Jamie Collins will have eyes on McCaffrey all game. He is our McCaffrey neutralizer. When we run man against three wide, we will have The Collins Squared Coverage in which, Jamie Collins and Landon Collins will double McCaffrey. Joe Schobert will have man against the TE or RB2, as they do not really have a threat in that area that can pose problems for Schobert. If they go four wide Schobert comes off the field and the corners man all receivers with Jamie and Landon doubling McCaffrey. If they go empty and we play man against a five wide all of the Corners plus Budda are in man with Landon single high and Jamie Collins playing middle spy or blitzer. Against any two tight sets or two wide, we will have Jamie Collins spy McCaffrey still. Schobert will have a TE, Landon will have a TE and Uchenna will either double McCaffrey with Jamie or blitz. When in zone Jamie will still always have McCaffrey Responsibility. He is free of zone coverage and will just spy McCaffrey, following him wherever he goes. 

Go Wolves!

Portland Horned Owls

Motivation: It's week 7 of the BDL season and coming off a four game losing streak we look to rebound against a tanking Anchorage team, with this win we can get back in the wildcard hunt. 

Portland Offensive Gameplan: Next man up and we'll be running with a run heavy offense again this week to take advantage of our offensive unit's best strength and a weakened anchorage line that traded away it's best player, running the ball and letting McCaffrey carry the offense. We'll start out with a 3 WR base offense but we'll obviously use other offensive formations throughout the game along with trying to get McCaffrey and our WRs in space.

Formations: Shotgun, I-Form, 3 wide, 4 wide, 2 TE, 3 TE etc. We'll use a variety of formations. | Scheme:  Pass 50% to run 50%

The Passing Game: 

Patrick Mahomes will start at QB for us and will be tasked with picking apart the defense and finding the opportunities to make plays against a talented Anchorage team. Jones takes over the no.1 WR spot with Adams out for the 3rd week in a row, he'll command the most targets in the passing game since we feel he's capable of beating any CB Anchorage has. Mike Williams will line up as our no.2 WR and will command a few looks in the redzone as well as be used as Mahomes's big body target on broken plays. McCaffrey will obviously be a focal point of the passing game this week as he should command 30+ touches in this game including double digit targets in this one, we like our match ups against Anchorafe's LBs and DBs for him. DeDe Westbrook suits up in his first game as a horned owl and will take over the no.3 WR position and will get a few targets here and there, Johnson and Pringle will rotate in and out, we'll specifically look to target Hargraves given he's been awful this year and target Schoebert in coverage when the opportunity presents itself.

Freeman will be used as McCaffrey's relief option to keep him fresh, still expect McCaffrey to play 85% of the snaps and line up out wide on occasion, probably in 4 wide and 3 wide depending on the play. We'll use Patrick Ricard as a FB to help in the running game as well our TEs since they offer nothing in the passing game due to injuries at the position and they'll more or less be used as blockers. Expect a decent amount of play action since we feel Anchorage will be expecting us to feed the ball to McCaffrey in this one, we'll also try and keep Mahomes more in the pocket so he doesn't have to run on that Ankle. 

Anchorage has a pretty good defense all round even if it weaker after some trades and injuries this year, but we feel our O-line is up to the task and should be able to win their match ups in the trenches and let us establish the running game as well as keep Mahomes protected. Mahomes will adjust protection and audible as needed to take advantage of Anchorage's defense, look for our WRs to run deeper routes since we feel Anchorage won't be able to get home much while our RBs/TEs run shorter routes so Mahomes has a quick option if need be.

The Running Game: 

McCaffrey will of course be the workhorse back in this but expect a 85:15-ish split so he can remain fresh throughout the game, Freeman and company will mix in to run the ball to keep McCaffrey fresh for the 4th Q as well as be used as pass catchers, both will see time on the field at the same time. As for the running attack we'll be running this game we'll be focused on attacking Anchorage's edge since they still have a solid interior and a weaker edge thanks to the departure of Jordan.

The Blocking Unit: 

We'll execute the blocking assignments as necessary. In a pinch Ben Jones will plays C/G, Dotson plays OT etc. 

Ricard will be our FB in this one and be used in obvious run situations as well as be potentially a goalline back (he's 305-ish and plays d-line IRL)

TDLR; 

Control the trenches, Win against Defenders, make plays in key situations, no penalties, long drives via running the ball, execute our assignments, finish in the redzone, score points, capitalize on turnovers, win the TOP battle, control the clock, win on 3rd down etc. 

Portland Defensive Gameplan:

Cover 1 man, Cover 3 zone with the focus of keeping Anchorage's running game in check. Dominate the LOS and control the game from there, we expect our d-line to win and get after Cousins? who is fairly weak to pressure and until recently has been blegh this year.

Formations:  4-3 [Base Defense] / 4-2-5 [Nickel] along with other various formations that depend on down&distance&situation| Scheme: 50% man to 50% Zone coverage, Cover 1, Cover 3, Cover 2 etc. 

Pass Coverage: 

Our defense is far from full strength but we should be able to handle an Anchorage offense lacking any elite healthy weapons, we'll play even man and zone this week.

Desmond Trufant is out this week and that sucks sure he hasn't been great this year but he's still a good no.1 CB,  Logan Ryan will step up as the no.1 CB and will cover the right side in zone he'll also pick up Boyd in man coverage. Eli apple will cover the left side in zone as well as cover the no.2 WR in man. Alexander will man the 3rd CB spot and the slot again this week, Alexander is a functional CB so he should be able to handle his assignment.  Reshad Jones is out again so Marcus Maye starts because next man up, Malcolm Jenkins will be tasked with being the SS who plays whatever role is allotted to him depending on the coverage, Jenkins will also occasionally cover TEs as well as the defensive signal caller in the secondary.

There is no denying Anchorage has a good stable of RBs even if none of  them play more than 60% of the snaps IRL, still they're all solid runners especially Ingram. Pretty sure Anchorage will look to go pass heavy given Counselor's nature to be aggressive. Anchorage's TEs are almost as devoid of talent as mine who so I don't expect them to be a threat in this one. Anchorage's bench WRs are terrible but they're hardly difference Makers

In dime packages Blake Martinez remains on the field, he will also be the defensive signal caller for this game and make adjustments if needed, he'll also play the majority of snaps.

Front Seven/Run Defense: 

We trust our front seven to be able to control the running lanes and the LOS in this game, with some defenders on IR Linval Joseph adds some reinforcements to help Pierce and our d-line to handle the run game.  Ford starts again this week he'll be used more often as a pass rusher as well as rotate with Beasly. Our front seven should be able to handle Anchorage's offensive line, as well as free up our LBs to make the plays they need to change the tide of the game. 

Their RBs are pretty talented but at all so we'll put the effort into keeping them in check, Javon Brown draws the start at WLB and has quickly proven himself to be one of the Titan's best young LBs. We'll rotate our DL+LBs+DBs etc as necessary to keep them fresh and change personnel for coverages/schemes/situations as needed. 

The Pass Rush: 

Cousins  isn't exactly skittish but he has been known to be shaky when confronted with a good pass rush so we hope to take advantage of that by getting after him early and often. Vic Beasly will be used as a blitzing LB on occasion and will rotate in with Mercilus+Ford on occasion as well to keep them fresh. 

TDLR; Play good defense, control the LOS, dominate the running lanes, force turnovers, get after the QB, don't blitz often, contain Anchorage and the running game, play smart football, mind the down&distance etc. 

I like Anchorage here. Pat Mahomes as good as he is, is going to get pressured and hit in this game.  He is going to struggle on a bum ankle and idk if he even survives 4 qtrs. In fact, I'm going to predict he doesnt and that means Portland made a fatal mistake in not providing a back up QB option. Even if he does, I like him for at least 2 turnovers. But if he doesnt and you have...who the hell knows at QB, I mean...itll turn into a blow out. I think CMac has some success but not enough to alter the fate of Mahomes.

31-17 Anchorage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I like Anchorage here. Pat Mahomes as good as he is, is going to get pressured and hit in this game.  He is going to struggle on a bum ankle and idk if he even survives 4 qtrs. In fact, I'm going to predict he doesnt and that means Portland made a fatal mistake in not providing a back up QB option. Even if he does, I like him for at least 2 turnovers. But if he doesnt and you have...who the hell knows at QB, I mean...itll turn into a blow out. I think CMac has some success but not enough to alter the fate of Mahomes.

31-17 Anchorage.

......I got no words just lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

You have no words because he is right and you just want to oppose it because you are the other team. So carry on.

I have no words because it's just bad logic lol. Like sure if Mahomes had a really bad ankle injury or something I could see the logic but it's a minor sprain, it didn't affect him at all in his IRL matchup.

I get faulted for not having a backup QB who would see zero snaps in this game it's just mind numbing. 

As for the rest of that jusitifcation your pass rush isn't that good, Mahomes's ankle injury wasn't the reason he was knocked out even the it's addressed in my gameplan, my o-line is the best unit on my team and Mahomes isn't going to get hit that much if at all. 

• Like 1

On 22/10/2019 at 6:20 AM, SwoleXmad said:

I have no words because it's just bad logic lol. Like sure if Mahomes had a really bad ankle injury or something I could see the logic but it's a minor sprain, it didn't affect him at all in his IRL matchup.

I get faulted for not having a backup QB who would see zero snaps in this game it's just mind numbing. 

As for the rest of that jusitifcation your pass rush isn't that good, Mahomes's ankle injury wasn't the reason he was knocked out even the it's addressed in my gameplan, my o-line is the best unit on my team and Mahomes isn't going to get hit that much if at all. 

1. Not necessarily true. There definitely could be an impact between the ankle and knee injury. I'm not doctor but having tore my ACL before, I know for a fact that an issue you have anywhere on the lower leg increase your chances of suffering a knee injury. Not sure about the kneecap though.

2. You have 2 OL listed as backups. How many snaps do they see here?

3. Mahomes was injured on a QB sneak. You don't need a big hit to injure yourself