A New Concept For Improving The Running Game?

soulman

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

How are Mitch's mental issues the fault of Nagy? He's simplified the concepts about as much as any pro coach can simplify them and Mitch is still missing wide open targets that are right in front of him.

Nagy isn't consistently simplifying things, and while he shouldn't have to do that, there's a difference between running all that gimmicky motion--heavy line call ****, and a more normal offense. Also, it's pretty well established that, until last Sunday, Nagy has thrown out a pathetic run game plan, which doesn't help ANY QB, young or old. 

31 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Nagy isn't consistently simplifying things, and while he shouldn't have to do that, there's a difference between running all that gimmicky motion--heavy line call ****, and a more normal offense. Also, it's pretty well established that, until last Sunday, Nagy has thrown out a pathetic run game plan, which doesn't help ANY QB, young or old. 

Alshon Jeffery was bitching about the offense in Philly being too complicated this season. The 2015 Chiefs were 1-5 and had the same issue before they simplified things for Alex Smith and proceeded to win 11 of their next 12 games (2 were playoffs). Not saying this is what is going to happen here -- or what needs to happen here -- but there is precedent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

When he has simplified things, Mitch has still missed the read.

There are plenty of analysts out there who have documented this. Mitch misses wide open guys. He comes off his primary read before he's even finished his drop. We're not talking about Mitch making a poor decision on a complicated play. He literally can't even read the RPO correctly. He can't read a curl/flat combo correctly. He throws the ball away on 4th down. Are those things Nagy's fault or should we maybe expect a bit more of a professional QB?

8 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Long runs always bolster a RB's average, pretty much. You know that as well as I do, dude. The chunk play runs are why you have to be persistent in running the ball.

As to the turnovers, neither was acceptable, but the fumble was at least understandable, with his own guy running into Trubisky, and all. 

And sure, can't really argue that most NFL teams would score more than 16 points with all those yards, and all those trips to the red zone. That's why we're tapping away at our keyboards and sending massive floods of words out to the internet. 

Mitchell overcoming his panic issues (which, I feel, basically describes the bulk of his problems) will be difficult to do as long as Nagy continues to be so headstrong with his own weirdness. And it's sad to think about in that context. Trubisky with a more understanding, less bizarre head coach (or OC, whatever.) Nagy with a more polished, veteran QB. 

Oh well. 

I agree.  Long runs do boost a RBs YPC but in this case one run alone boosted it by nearly 2 ypc.  The other runs were roughly 1 ypc less than an average RB should get you on 26 carries.  Unfortunately the 55 yard run wasn't a score and only one of Montgomery's other carries was a score.  In this case 27 carries for only 100 yards but three scores would have been far more valuable than 27 for 135 yards but only one score which is why I said that stat is misleading because it didn't actually lead to more scoring.

It's much the same with Mitch where his 253 yards passing didn't actually help produce much scoring.  Compare this to a game where Aaron Rodgers throws for 253 yards.  He'll typically have at least two of those passes or more go for scores.  It seems with Mitch that either his passing is not resulting in increased scoring or when it does it's happening in garbage time after that game has already been lost ala the NOLA game.  So here again is why I said that stats are misleading.  It's basically ineffective yardage.

So I didn't think I was being disingenuous by pointing out that much of the yardage the offense gained produced very little in the way of scoring which is really all that matters on the score board.   By way of comparison it would be like posting a million dollars in sales but of an item whose cost is so high to produce you end up with little or no profit vs only half a million in sales of a far more profitable item.  I wanna see profits not just sales.  So far this offense has not been delivering that and I for one would like to see that change.

Another way to look at it is that old golf adage "drives are for show, putts are for dough".  All the yardage in the world won't make a damn bit of difference 'til the ball's in the cup or in this case the ball's in end zone.  We need to score more points.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

There are plenty of analysts out there who have documented this. Mitch misses wide open guys. He comes off his primary read before he's even finished his drop. We're not talking about Mitch making a poor decision on a complicated play. He literally can't even read the RPO correctly. He can't read a curl/flat combo correctly. He throws the ball away on 4th down. Are those things Nagy's fault or should we maybe expect a bit more of a professional QB?

Not placing all the blame on Nagy. But it seems to me he either shackles Mitch (which hinders them winning) or goes back to normal weirdness, but with a scaled back game plan (which also hinders them winning). I don't think anybody around here is satisfied with Trubisky's play.

14 hours ago, soulman said:

So I didn't think I was being disingenuous by pointing out that much of the yardage the offense gained produced very little in the way of scoring which is really all that matters on the score board.   By way of comparison it would be like posting a million dollars in sales but of an item whose cost is so high to produce you end up with little or no profit vs only half a million in sales of a far more profitable item.  I wanna see profits not just sales.  So far this offense has not been delivering that and I for one would like to see that change.

Another way to look at it is that old golf adage "drives are for show, putts are for dough".  All the yardage in the world won't make a damn bit of difference 'til the ball's in the cup or in this case the ball's in end zone.  We need to score more points.

I was merely pointing out how the running game yardage typically works. And if we get that from Montgomery consistently, it'll be a big boost. (Of course, that won't happen because Nagy will run it 8 times on Sunday.) 

Some of Mitch's most egregious mistakes came in the red zone. He was making risky choices (when safer ones were there) and making bad throws, to boot. 

18 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

He only missed 3 touchdowns against the Chargers. Cut him some slack.