This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

7 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

More complaints about time passage in GoT.  It's one thing to write chapters about time passage.  You can get into the mindset of the characters.  That doesn't work in a show.  You aren't about to have a time lapse of Jon Snow rowing his boat to Dragonstone or show an inner monologue the whole time Arya is traveling from place to place.  You need to suspend disbelief a little bit.  Actually... No you don't.  You have to use your imagination muscles to get to a point where you can understand that the show doesn't show everything. 

It's not about time passage. It's about inconsistencies that shouldn't be there.

Spoiler:

The Iron Islands were a nothing tribe that was barely on anybody's map. Ned Stark kept them down without even the faintest effort. They lost a fair portion of their army to Ramsey. They lost a fair portion of their fleet when Theon and sister took those ships (enough ships to land a big *** army of Dorthraki). And yet they now have enough ships to destroy basically every fleet on the seas other than their own. How/when were theses ships built? Where did this army come from that is manning the ships? How do they know where to make these attacks (unless there's a traitor in Dany's camp)? None of this is explained.

And it's not explained because there isn't a reasonable explanation. The writers were just painted into a corner with Cersi only having the Lannister army (the Lannister army that suffered significant losses to Rob's Northern army). Dany had Highgarden, Dorn, the Dorthraki, the Unsullied and the Dragons. Meanwhile the Vale and the North are remaining neutral in the battle of the queens. 

There was nobody left on the board for Cersi to ally with. Hence Euron and the iron Islands needed a significant upgrade. The fleet of the Iron Islands being all powerful and everywhere is the complaint. The timing is just one aspect of it. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

^Constraints of a budget and time honestly.  Gotta live with them. 

I'm not walking away from the show or anything, but similar to Aaron Rodgers, the competition isn't him vs the average. He's chasing the ghosts of the greatest of all time. GOT is better than a lot of shows currently running. But it should be pushing to be one of the greatest shows of all time, and it's falling flat in a lot of aspects. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not walking away from the show or anything, but similar to Aaron Rodgers, the competition isn't him vs the average. He's chasing the ghosts of the greatest of all time. GOT is better than a lot of shows currently running. But it should be pushing to be one of the greatest shows of all time, and it's falling flat in a lot of aspects. 

Oh, it lost its chance of being the GOAT TV show as soon as Dorne happened on the show.  Really, the show hit its peak at the end of season three.  After season three it's just been a really, really good show. 

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Oh, it lost its chance of being the GOAT TV show as soon as Dorne happened on the show.  Really, the show hit its peak at the end of season three.  After season three it's just been a really, really good show. 

I won't disagree with you on that, but I think it still has the potential to be a pantheon show, if not necessarily for critical acclaim than for cultural exposure. 

6 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

first of all, thanks for the shoutout about my taste in movies

i'm an avid reader of ASOIAF 

the way they ruined Dorne is so frustrating 

there are a lot of problems with the show, but because the source material is so strong, it's still very good. but yes as AG20 said, it could have truly been the greatest show ever. it had that potential, easily

for example: imagine if we as an audience hadn't known who poisoned Joffrey until Olenna reveals it at the end of the last episode. there are many small things like this that the show could have taken advantage of, but they fall short 

Edited by persiandud

6 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

sorry, could you explain the Rodgers analogy? I was under the impression he's already one of the best QBs in NFL history 

3 hours ago, persiandud said:

sorry, could you explain the Rodgers analogy? I was under the impression he's already one of the best QBs in NFL history 

He is, IMO if you were to only incorporate consistent on-field performance he is the best ever. But typically GOAT conversations encompass career achievements as well.

Rodgers is competing against Brady, Montana, and Manning. Similar to how GOT is competing against The Wire, The Sopranos, etc. At this point I still think it's worse than BSG, BtVS, The X-Files, and a few others depending on how you rate certain aspects just in the SciFi/Fantasy genre.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

Hey hey. Someone who likes the x files.

I actually just finished the wire last night. I watched it was on until season 3 or so and finally started over a while back and just got through it.

Now to find something else.

4 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

The new Netflix original "Ozark" has been good so far. Jason Bateman does a pretty good job in it.

I watched that first ep when it came out. Thought it was alright. Just wondered what the evolution of the storyline would really be.

1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I watched that first ep when it came out. Thought it was alright. Just wondered what the evolution of the storyline would really be.

It's definitely worth watching a few more to see how you like it. The first episode does have that feel of a story with a cliche plot, (in trouble with drug kingpin, get his money. yadayada) but it all comes together pretty quick. It will be interesting to see which way the show goes. If you were a fan of Bloodline I would definitely recommend it. 

And speaking of Bloodline, the end to that show was super disappointing to me. Anyone else feel the same way?

23 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Reading through the favorite movie section of the introduction thread was a whirlwind of emotions.  Made a mental note to not judge @persiandud too harshly for his views on the Packers considering his solid taste in movies, but... I won't mention names... Yeah I will.  @Csraverage... How do you sleep at night?

Half of the movies were acceptable favorite movies.  The other half... And I'm counting those of you who can't pick one. 

I wonder how many of you have even seen my favorite.  ;)