Weekly Bets Thread

BStanRamFan

OK 2 plays already booked in ATS, and some early leans:

PIT +10 @ KC (pre-Covid) - I got this 2 mins before the book closed it down.  Tried to get it into a parley but the book locked me out then (Dammit!).    Pretty self-explanatory

LAR -3 @ MIN - got this before the game, and for 1 simple reason - the Rams are likely clear of any major Covid losses, having gone through a mini-wave.   I know their roster should be stable.   I already like the line for LAR, but I also now have the security that their Covid risk is pretty benign.    MIN is at risk along with every other team that hasn't had a big wave.   That, along with LAR being at a critical number, is enough for me to take now.

TEN +3.5 vs. SF (TNF) - I know, this seems crazy, right?  Well consider this - the Titans are monsters as home dogs, and this is a typical situation.  The Niners' still have one the highest penalized D's, and their O is still mistake prone.  The talent gap means I won't take TEN straight up, but as it's over 3 pts, I'll back the trends, and the excellent coaching work the TEN staff does (the only reason they lost last week was literally turning it over 4x in a 10-offensive play sequence.  I don't see that happening with the SF D). 

IND +100 ML @ ARI (already -110), RACE to 25/30/35 (+175/+300/+450) SAT PM - I do not get this at all.   Indy's run game is exactly the type of O that gives ARI's D fits, ever since they lost JJ Watt.   And the D has Leonard who can spy Murray, and now Conner is hurt.  The team's pass O was totally lost without Nuk Hopkins being the alpha, which negates IND's weakness (secondary CB's) a LOT.    I think the line's going to move to IND unless they go through a Covid wave.   Willing to take it given the payouts for what I think is the wrong team being favored, I'd have IND as a clear -2 to -3 right now.

JAX +130 ML vs. NYJ - I know, I know, it's the Jags.  And they absolutely laid a dud against HOU (for which it paid off nicely even though Urban Meyer's firing had me unnerved).   But there are 3 main reasons I back JAX.  First off, the Jets are the worst run D.  Second, they lost their only remaining playmaker, Michael Carter, to Covid-list, and that's a concern more are coming.   Finally, as bad Trevor Lawrence has been, Zach Wilson and the Jets O have been far worse.   Finally, the Jets OC Mike Lafleur looks completely lost.  I'm not convinced enough to take RACE's, given how inept both teams are, but I'll sit on this for a bit, and settle on the ML. 

CIN -2.5 vs. BAL - this is a matchup that the Bengals just have so many edges on the current version of BAL's team.   The Bengals will likely get their T Prince back, and should get CB Chibode Awuzie back.   It sounds like Joe Mixon will play, and that combo with BAL continuing to lose more CB's, is just a bad combo here.

I couldn't get PIT+10 in parleys, but I was able to secure a LAR-7 / PHI -8 / TEN +3.5 TNF / IND ML +100 / LAR -3 / CIN -2.5 / JAX ML +130 for +6200 0.5U and LAR -7 / PHI -8 / TEN +3.5 TNF / IND ML +100 / LAR -3 / CIN -2.5 / BUF ML +130 0.5U for +6200 0.5U as well.   Just wanted a bite of BUF +ML for now.

The IND ML/RACE's, PIT +10 & LAR-3 single-bet picks are locked in, while I have the other 3 in the parleys above, where I think I can wait on the line for now.    Will post more TNF & ATS/ML / RACE plays as more info emerges.....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

OK 2 plays already booked in ATS, and some early leans:

PIT +10 @ KC (pre-Covid) - I got this 2 mins before the book closed it down.  Tried to get it into a parley but the book locked me out then (Dammit!).    Pretty self-explanatory

LAR -3 @ MIN - got this before the game, and for 1 simple reason - the Rams are likely clear of any major Covid losses, having gone through a mini-wave.   I know their roster should be stable.   I already like the line for LAR, but I also now have the security that their Covid risk is pretty benign.    MIN is at risk along with every other team that hasn't had a big wave.   That, along with LAR being at a critical number, is enough for me to take now.

TEN +3.5 vs. SF (TNF) - I know, this seems crazy, right?  Well consider this - the Titans are monsters as home dogs, and this is a typical situation.  The Niners' still have one the highest penalized D's, and their O is still mistake prone.  The talent gap means I won't take TEN straight up, but as it's over 3 pts, I'll back the trends, and the excellent coaching work the TEN staff does (the only reason they lost last week was literally turning it over 4x in a 10-offensive play sequence.  I don't see that happening with the SF D). 

IND +100 ML @ ARI (already -110), RACE to 25/30/35 (+175/+300/+450) SAT PM - I do not get this at all.   Indy's run game is exactly the type of O that gives ARI's D fits, ever since they lost JJ Watt.   And the D has Leonard who can spy Murray, and now Conner is hurt.  The team's pass O was totally lost without Nuk Hopkins being the alpha, which negates IND's weakness (secondary CB's) a LOT.    I think the line's going to move to IND unless they go through a Covid wave.   Willing to take it given the payouts for what I think is the wrong team being favored, I'd have IND as a clear -2 to -3 right now.

JAX +130 ML vs. NYJ - I know, I know, it's the Jags.  And they absolutely laid a dud against HOU (for which it paid off nicely even though Urban Meyer's firing had me unnerved).   But there are 3 main reasons I back JAX.  First off, the Jets are the worst run D.  Second, they lost their only remaining playmaker, Michael Carter, to Covid-list, and that's a concern more are coming.   Finally, as bad Trevor Lawrence has been, Zach Wilson and the Jets O have been far worse.   Finally, the Jets OC Mike Lafleur looks completely lost.  I'm not convinced enough to take RACE's, given how inept both teams are, but I'll sit on this for a bit, and settle on the ML. 

CIN -2.5 vs. BAL - this is a matchup that the Bengals just have so many edges on the current version of BAL's team.   The Bengals will likely get their T Prince back, and should get CB Chibode Awuzie back.   It sounds like Joe Mixon will play, and that combo with BAL continuing to lose more CB's, is just a bad combo here.

I couldn't get PIT+10 in parleys, but I was able to secure a LAR-7 / PHI -8 / TEN +3.5 TNF / IND ML +100 / LAR -3 / CIN -2.5 / JAX ML +130 for +6200 0.5U and LAR -7 / PHI -8 / TEN +3.5 TNF / IND ML +100 / LAR -3 / CIN -2.5 / BUF ML +130 0.5U for +6200 0.5U as well.   Just wanted a bite of BUF +ML for now.

The IND ML/RACE's, PIT +10 & LAR-3 single-bet picks are locked in, while I have the other 3 in the parleys above, where I think I can wait on the line for now.    Will post more TNF & ATS/ML / RACE plays as more info emerges.....

With the NE & NYJ Covid cases that have emerged (and Bourne added to both Agholor/Harry leaving the game with likely concussions, and already in the protocol - leaving NE only Gunner & Meyers as the healthy WR's), I've taken BUF ML +130 & JAX ML +130 at 2U each for now, with my book I can void the bet as long as the line remains at +2.5 or improves.    

Edited by Broncofan

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FYI I got caught by the other Michael Carter being positive, and not the one who impacts the O lol.  My take is the same, though, because the run D got a lot worse with the absences, as did their OL (which is even more important than remaining skill position players).

Edited by Broncofan

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I came here to post the same thing. Colts should be favored by 4 points. The cardinals let the Lions run all over them last week. A lot of the holes were absolutely massive. Taylor is going to have a monster game. Colts are pretty stout up front on both sides of the ball and teams who have been able to get to murray with their front four have been able to have success against that offense.

Colts have an extra day to prep, thats also huge. They are the better coached team right now. 

Sometimes you just need to ride the hot hand. 

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Going to have to disagree with you here. I get that the titans are a home dog on primetime, and that the niners have to travel multiple timezones to the east to play on a Thursday, but it's just a bad matchup for the titans for a few reasons:

1) Barring AJ Brown coming back this week after only a few short days of practice (possible), the titans dont have the WRs to take advantage of the niners defense's only weakness - corners. If Julio and AJB were 100% healthy this would be a completely different conversation. The titans WRs are a bottom 5 group if AJB doesn't play. The majority of the niners D penalties have come on DPI from their corners, but its been happening less and less as the season has gone on. 

2) Titans OL has been pretty bad this year and the niners DL has been on fire recently. Nick Bosa is not getting enough attention for DPOY/CPOY but hes been stellar. You basically cant leave him 1v1 with your tackle and that opens up a lot for other guys. DJ Jones is quietly becoming one of the best penetrating DTs in the NFL. Arden Key moves inside on pass rushing situations and has 1+ sacks per game for like 4-5 weeks straight. The niners DL is rounding into form at the right time and should be able to cause a lot of problems for the titans from start to finish. Its a deep group. 

3) The niners offense is very multifaceted and will be difficult for a non-familiar opponent to prepare for on a short week. The niners utilize a lot of motions/shifts to put pressure on defenders and to force defenses to tip their hand pre-snap. You really need to be disciplined and disguise coverages to try and bait Garoppolo into a turnover, or into holding the ball too long. It is a lot harder to do this on a short week when you aren't a divisional opponent because of the lack of familiarity.  

For this reason I think Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Jauan Jennings are going to give the titans secondary a lot of problems. Garoppolo seems to have found a rhythm. Kyle has been calling some great games. The niners just have more firepower than the titans do, and they have the better defense. 

I really love the under 45 in this game. I have already said that the niners D matches up very well with the Titans. Niners have shown they will run the ball and chew clock, especially with a lead. They prefer to play a ball control offense. Titans DL will give the niners OL a lot of problems and Garoppolo will take sacks if he isn't comfortable. This feels like a grind it out, slow paced game for both teams. 

I really like the Bengals -2 as well. I think this is a week their offense explodes. Chase feels due for a big game and Tee higgins has really started to establish himself. Ravens secondary is very depleted and the bengals are not a team you want to face if you are worried about your corners

• Like 1

1 hour ago, N4L said:

I came here to post the same thing. Colts should be favored by 4 points. The cardinals let the Lions run all over them last week. A lot of the holes were absolutely massive. Taylor is going to have a monster game. Colts are pretty stout up front on both sides of the ball and teams who have been able to get to murray with their front four have been able to have success against that offense.

Colts have an extra day to prep, thats also huge. They are the better coached team right now. 

Sometimes you just need to ride the hot hand. 

Going to have to disagree with you here. I get that the titans are a home dog on primetime, and that the niners have to travel multiple timezones to the east to play on a Thursday, but it's just a bad matchup for the titans for a few reasons:

1) Barring AJ Brown coming back this week after only a few short days of practice (possible), the titans dont have the WRs to take advantage of the niners defense's only weakness - corners. If Julio and AJB were 100% healthy this would be a completely different conversation. The titans WRs are a bottom 5 group if AJB doesn't play. The majority of the niners D penalties have come on DPI from their corners, but its been happening less and less as the season has gone on. 

2) Titans OL has been pretty bad this year and the niners DL has been on fire recently. Nick Bosa is not getting enough attention for DPOY/CPOY but hes been stellar. You basically cant leave him 1v1 with your tackle and that opens up a lot for other guys. DJ Jones is quietly becoming one of the best penetrating DTs in the NFL. Arden Key moves inside on pass rushing situations and has 1+ sacks per game for like 4-5 weeks straight. The niners DL is rounding into form at the right time and should be able to cause a lot of problems for the titans from start to finish. Its a deep group. 

3) The niners offense is very multifaceted and will be difficult for a non-familiar opponent to prepare for on a short week. The niners utilize a lot of motions/shifts to put pressure on defenders and to force defenses to tip their hand pre-snap. You really need to be disciplined and disguise coverages to try and bait Garoppolo into a turnover, or into holding the ball too long. It is a lot harder to do this on a short week when you aren't a divisional opponent because of the lack of familiarity.  

For this reason I think Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk, and Jauan Jennings are going to give the titans secondary a lot of problems. Garoppolo seems to have found a rhythm. Kyle has been calling some great games. The niners just have more firepower than the titans do, and they have the better defense. 

I really love the under 45 in this game. I have already said that the niners D matches up very well with the Titans. Niners have shown they will run the ball and chew clock, especially with a lead. They prefer to play a ball control offense. Titans DL will give the niners OL a lot of problems and Garoppolo will take sacks if he isn't comfortable. This feels like a grind it out, slow paced game for both teams. 

I really like the Bengals -2 as well. I think this is a week their offense explodes. Chase feels due for a big game and Tee higgins has really started to establish himself. Ravens secondary is very depleted and the bengals are not a team you want to face if you are worried about your corners

Re: TEN, I totally get the argument.  If it's any other team than the Titans, I'd be backing the 49ers.   But I think when they're at home, and they're the dogs, under the present coaching tenure, they're just overperformers.    

The thing that helps TEN's D limit SF's O are 3 factors - first, as you mentioned the TEN DL can give the SF OL a lot of problems.  Secondly, their secondary will be boosted with Janoris Jenkins' return - with Fulton & Jenkins on the corners, it doesn't give the obvious "pick on this side" CB.   The final part is that Kittle is now the guy who drives the pass game bus (as it should be) - and there, having Keith Byard helps TEN match up better than most teams to mitigate Kittle's damage (Kittle will get his, but less likely to have the SEA-type smash spot game we've seen the 2 of the last 3 weeks). 

My most likely scenario is SF winning on a last second FG, 20-17 would be my guess.    If the number was inside 3, I'd probably just pass.   But being outside the margin, well it's why I went TEN.     FWIW, it appears more & more likely AJB plays, which did factor in my lean here.   I also lean to the U45 as well.

Edited by Broncofan

Locked in 49ers+4 / U51 / GB+1 Teaser (+120) so I'm very much of the same thinking as N4L. I think both DLines whip both OLines in tomorrow's game and we see a defensive slugfest. The Titans are also strong against opposing TEs, so I don't expect Kittle to dominate the way he has recently. 

FWIW, here's some data on the difference between Thursday, Sunday, and Monday games: 

THURSDAY
ATS = 53% favorite / 47% underdog
ML = 82% favorite / 18% underdog 

SUNDAY 
ATS = 49% favorite / 51% underdog 
ML = 61% favorite / 39% underdog 

MONDAY 
ATS = 29% favorite / 71% underdog
ML = 57% favorite / 43% underdog 

TAKEAWAY
The more time a team has to prepare for a game, the higher likelihood that the underdog will cover the spread. You'll see that the highest single-instance hit rate is ML Favorites on Thursdays. And yet, despite an 82% win rate, they are only covering the spread 53% of the time. This would lend credence to BF's point that, while the 49ers should win, Tannehill's Titans should be able to keep it within 3.5 points. 

I leveraged this data to create my teaser. Considering the 82% hit rate for favorites on Thursdays, I'm very comfortable teasing the 49ers to +4. Since Henry went out, the Titans have averaged 37 total points per game (49 being the highest total), so I feel good about an U51. Additionally, the Titans themselves have posted an average of 14.75 points per game over their last 4 games, and the only time they exceeded 13 points was against the Jaguars (20). 

• Like 1

@N4L Thoughts on Jauan Jennings O19.5 yards? He's easily exceeded that number in each of the last 2 games and just saw a career-high 65% snap share last week. Looks like in addition to his 3 catch, 6 target day, he also had 2 drops which suppress his total line a bit. With Deebo's increased looks in the backfield, it seems as though Jauan is gaining a lot of trust from Jimmy G. 

Currently ones I'm eyeing are...

Jauan Jennings O19.5 Receiving - Just mentioned my thinking in my previous post on this one. Might wait to see if Eli Mitchell is out or not to determine how many backfield snaps Deebo might see. 

Ryan Tannehill U216.5 Passing - Tannehill had 323 passing yards against the Texans in what turned out to be AJ Brown's last game. In the 3 games since then, Tannehill has averaged about 146 passing yards per game, with his highest being 191 and his lowest being 93. Last week he played a very beatable Steelers secondary and netted just over 150 yards. Even with Julio expected to be back, I don't see the offensive fire power here to get him over the hump. With Lewan and Saffold out, Tannehill should be focused on getting the ball out fast and running. Which brings us to our next prop. 

Tannehill O15.5 Rushing - Those 3 games without AJB have been bad for Tanny's passing, but good for his rushing. He's averaged 23.5 rushing per game over those 3 with a low of 18 and a high of 29. He's ran the ball 14 times over those 3 games, which represents his highest 3-game total this season. Tannehill has 6 games this season where he's ran the ball at least 4 times. Half of those instances are in his last 3 games. In games where Tannehill runs at least 4 times, he averages nearly 26 yards per game, despite a 5 carry 1 yard effort against the Saints top ranked run defense. This is going to be a critical home game for the Titans and I see Tannehill doing whatever it takes to move the ball. 

Obviously those last 2 will be somewhat dependent on whether AJ Brown plays or not. 

21 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

@N4L Thoughts on Jauan Jennings O19.5 yards? He's easily exceeded that number in each of the last 2 games and just saw a career-high 65% snap share last week. Looks like in addition to his 3 catch, 6 target day, he also had 2 drops which suppress his total line a bit. With Deebo's increased looks in the backfield, it seems as though Jauan is gaining a lot of trust from Jimmy G. 

LOVE it 

He is quietly becoming Jimmy's favorite target behind Kittle with Deebo being limited off the groin injury. Its not just that deebo is used more at RB, its that he is extremely limited with the groin injury and when they do bring him on the field, they want him to touch the ball. Very easy to control that when he is playing RB lol 

JJ has a big catch radius and plays with an edge. Hes very clearly establishing himself as a viable target. 20 yards is like 2-3 catches at most

Edited by N4L

47 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

28 minutes ago, N4L said:

LOVE it 

He is quietly becoming Jimmy's favorite target behind Kittle with Deebo being limited off the groin injury. Its not just that deebo is used more at RB, its that he is extremely limited with the groin injury and when they do bring him on the field, they want him to touch the ball. Very easy to control that when he is playing RB lol 

JJ has a big catch radius and plays with an edge. Hes very clearly establishing himself as a viable target. 20 yards is like 2-3 catches at most

Just chiming in that @SaveOurSonics point about roles being preserved would be important.  As long as Deebo is eating into the RB share then it's easy to project him as #2/#3 (always the shadow of Aiyuk).   If Eli returned, I'd be a little concerned about the bounces just making him the #4 guy behind Kittle/Deebo/Aiyuk.   You're the resident 49ers fan so I'd defer to you - but Deebo going into de facto RB mode seems to have triggered this change, no?   If the roles are the same, seems like a Josh Palmer / Gabriel Davis smash spot again...

Edited by Broncofan
Fixed right Davis lol
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, N4L said:

Great analysis, thanks for sharing. I'm taking the 49ers either teased down from -3 to -2.5 or ML for sure. I'm honestly surprised that the line is even that small. When I look at the Titans and 49ers I see two teams that are trending in opposite directions. Tennessee started hot but is starting to fade now because they have zero offensive firepower. While San Francisco is starting to find their groove as their defense has picked it up, their run game is excellent and travels well, Jimmy has been solid, and then you have two unstoppable offensive weapons in Deebo and Kittle. 

Over the last month the Titans are 1-3 with their only win coming against the Jaguars. They got destroyed by the Texans/Patriots and just lost an absolutely horrible game against the Steelers. Over that span, IIRC, they also have like 15 turnovers and are averaging 14.5 ppg. Their offense just isn't very good without Derrick Henry to lean on. I get that AJ Brown's return may help them some but it's not like he was just some dominant force before he got hurt. 

The 49ers on the other hand are 4-1 over their last 5 and have averaged 29 ppg. The run game is starting to pick it up, Kittle/Deebo are playing at All-Pro levels, and the defense has done what they've needed them too. 

• Like 1

@N4L I'm also considering throwing some money on the 49ers to win the NFC. They're currently sitting at +1,400 but I think it's a strong play with those odds. We've already seen this 49ers core group win the NFC two years ago. And with the Bucs/Cardinals fading due to injuries, the Cowboys somewhat regressing offensively, I think the 49ers have a great shot against anyone in the postseason. Your running game will travel well and having Deebo and Kittle makes your offense so difficult to slow down. I personally think that the NFC will come down to the 49ers and Packers.

• Like 1