Bears at Lions Thanksgiving Turkey.

diehardlionfan

This was a very different game than what I expected. Blough looked really good in his debut. Scarborough has shown to be a competent runner, which we haven't had for a while. I'd like to see us add another guy, maybe Najee Harris, in the draft. Scarborough has some injury questions of his own but his style of play meshes well with what we've been trying to do. 

It was a competitive game. We were playing a 3rd string UDFA QB with our star UDFA, mid-season acquisition RB against a Bears team that still has Khalil Mack and most of their starters in the game. The fact that we didn't get manhandled and it came down to a play at the end is a victory in itself. It's a lost season. A meaningless win against Trubisky wasn't going to change anything. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

This was a very different game than what I expected. Blough looked really good in his debut. Scarborough has shown to be a competent runner, which we haven't had for a while. I'd like to see us add another guy, maybe Najee Harris, in the draft. Scarborough has some injury questions of his own but his style of play meshes well with what we've been trying to do. 

It was a competitive game. We were playing a 3rd string UDFA QB with our star UDFA, mid-season acquisition RB against a Bears team that still has Khalil Mack and most of their starters in the game. The fact that we didn't get manhandled and it came down to a play at the end is a victory in itself. It's a lost season. A meaningless win against Trubisky wasn't going to change anything. 

If the Lions draft a skill position player in the first three rounds it would be so typical. Hey, maybe they could draft another 1st round TE or wide receiver because that’s been so darned effective for them.

They make the same mistake year after year after year expecting they might win a few games. The blue print has been a disaster.

Fix the $&#@& lines. Find a middle linebacker that can at least pretend to cover a receiver and find another outside CB. 

Until they have acceptable line play every other position is pretty much immaterial. 

As for not being manhandled being a victory those are the types of results dismal, failing, losing organizations cling to. Trying desperately to find a shred of hope in what’s been another failed season. 

The Lions organization is incompetent from top to bottom and every single one of them should be turfed at seasons end. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

If the Lions draft a skill position player in the first three rounds it would be so typical. Hey, maybe they could draft another 1st round TE or wide receiver because that’s been so darned effective for them.

They make the same mistake year after year after year expecting they might win a few games. The blue print has been a disaster.

Fix the $&#@& lines. Find a middle linebacker that can at least pretend to cover a receiver and find another outside CB. 

Until they have acceptable line play every other position is pretty much immaterial. 

As for not being manhandled being a victory those are the types of results dismal, failing, losing organizations cling to. Trying desperately to find a shred of hope in what’s been another failed season. 

The Lions organization is incompetent from top to bottom and every single one of them should be turfed at seasons end. 

If they stay on this track, Chase Young could be a realistic option as could Andrew Thomas. The protection was actually quite good today. They could have a pretty good OL if Wagner gets swapped out for someone competent. 

A lot of us complained about Ebron over OBJ. Marvin Jones isn't getting any younger and Jeudy is drawing OBJ comparisons. Depending on how things shake out, it's not entirely out of the question that Jeudy could be a Lion next season. 

The 49ers are in year 3 of Shanahan. 

2017 - 6-10

2018 - 4-12

2019 - 10-1 and a top team in the league

There was talk about Shanahan potentially being fired after two bad seasons. Garropalo's injury probably saved his job. Now look at them. Sometimes you just have to give it some time and see what you really have. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

If they stay on this track, Chase Young could be a realistic option as could Andrew Thomas. The protection was actually quite good today. They could have a pretty good OL if Wagner gets swapped out for someone competent. 

A lot of us complained about Ebron over OBJ. Marvin Jones isn't getting any younger and Jeudy is drawing OBJ comparisons. Depending on how things shake out, it's not entirely out of the question that Jeudy could be a Lion next season. 

The 49ers are in year 3 of Shanahan. 

2017 - 6-10

2018 - 4-12

2019 - 10-1 and a top team in the league

There was talk about Shanahan potentially being fired after two bad seasons. Garropalo's injury probably saved his job. Now look at them. Sometimes you just have to give it some time and see what you really have. 

At this stage you’re just being an apologist. There is no comparison between where the Lions were with Caldwell and the Niners were with Harbaugh. San Francisco didn’t publicly claim the roster was good enough and the coach wasn’t maximizing the talent. The Niners were 8-8 and regressing.

Quinn fired the winningest Detroit coach in the Super Bowl era because he wasn’t maximizing the talent on the roster.

Each subsequent year, with Quinn as GM and Patricia as Coach the Lions have regressed. There is no excuse.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/shawn-windsor/2019/11/19/detroit-lions-bob-quinn-matt-patricia/4229662002/

These guys need to be accountable. Especially Quinn who let his ego totally over rule his intelligence. He made claims, he has fallen well short of publicly stated objectives for the team. He needs to go............preferably NOW!

Im not criticizing his firing of Caldwell but I am critical of the results of his decision when taken in context with his publicly stated reason for firing Caldwell. 

He held Caldwell accountable and has failed miserably.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lionized said:

Chase Young opposite of Flowers would be huge.

Thomas across from Decker

Cee Dee Lamb or Jeudy across from Golladay 

Tau healing up behind Stafford 

Extra draft capital if we traded out. 

I hope they don’t ruin Cee Dee Lambs future by drafting him.

Young would be a great addition. I have little faith in the Lions coaches ability to maximize the line performance. They have sufficient talent to create pressure now they choose to rush three linemen who play the run on the way to the QB. Without a scheme change there won’t be a material difference on most snaps.

Jeudy across from Golladay is simply a waste. They wasted CJ’s career. They’ve  wasted Staffords career. They just don’t need more highly skilled players until the line play is improved sufficiently and they find a middle linebacker that can cover. Currently they couldn’t cover a ball with a blanket. 

For the past decades Detroit has suffered from inadequate line play. They haven’t been able to run the ball since Sanders retired. Perhaps it’s time to change the way they construct a team because this sure isn’t working.

11 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

At this stage you’re just being an apologist. There is no comparison between where the Lions were with Caldwell and the Niners were with Harbaugh. San Francisco didn’t publicly claim the roster was good enough and the coach wasn’t maximizing the talent. The Niners were 8-8 and regressing.

Quinn fired the winningest Detroit coach in the Super Bowl era because he wasn’t maximizing the talent on the roster.

Each subsequent year, with Quinn as GM and Patricia as Coach the Lions have regressed. There is no excuse.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/shawn-windsor/2019/11/19/detroit-lions-bob-quinn-matt-patricia/4229662002/

These guys need to be accountable. Especially Quinn who let his ego totally over rule his intelligence. He made claims, he has fallen well short of publicly stated objectives for the team. He needs to go............preferably NOW!

Im not criticizing his firing of Caldwell but I am critical of the results of his decision when taken in context with his publicly stated reason for firing Caldwell. 

He held Caldwell accountable and has failed miserably.

I'm not being an apologist. My main point is that this is a wholesale organizational shift, that may or may not work given the appropriate amount of time. It hasn't worked up until this point. Transforming an organization and a roster can take time. It takes roughly 3 years to implement a program. The 49ers tossing out Shanahan after two poor seasons would have been a mistake. I'm willing to give Patricia/Quinn one more off-season and 4-6 games with their guys to see if this thing can click. It might pay off and it might not. We can't do a regime change every two years and expect we'll find success. 

There's a situation where Quinn could stay while Patricia gets fired. I don't think there's any chance that Patricia stays and Quinn gets fired. If anything, they will both be fired once the decision that this experiment has failed is made. 

It's easy to criticize the firing of Caldwell now. A lot of us had our legit complaints about Caldwell. I don't fault Quinn for going after his own guy. However, when he made that decision he also made the decision to own it. If Patricia fails, so will Quinn and both guys are likely gone. 

Apologist. Seriously what a perfect term. I can't think of a better description. 

My only hope is/are these two are let go and they hire someone who can bring in a solid HC and draft well. I'd give Tony Dungy a blank check if he'd come. 

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Apologist. Seriously what a perfect term. I can't think of a better description. 

My only hope is/are these two are let go and they hire someone who can bring in a solid HC and draft well. I'd give Tony Dungy a blank check if he'd come. 

I just don't invest a lot of time and energy into trying to fix something that I don't have control over. None of the complaints in this forum is going to fix anything. 

I'm also a big history person. I like to understand why things are what they are and how that came to be. When I break down where things are at, it's not because I'm happy to see the team lose. It's that I try to gather an understanding of the thought process behind particular decisions, whether they're good or bad. Patricia wasn't hired with the expectation that the team would be looking to hire a new coach in 3 or less years. Hockenson wasn't drafted at 8 with the expectation (by management) that he would be a bust. This is important work for people who are directly impacted by these decisions not working out. Patricia, Quinn, coaches, scouts, etc. all have families that are directly impacted when things don't work out. It's just a few lost hours a week and some grumbling on the internet for the rest of us.