2019 Season Thoughts

dll2000

On 12/26/2019 at 1:29 PM, dll2000 said:

A lot of people puffing out chests at their 2019 Bears negative predictions.

They were right, but their reasoning was mostly wrong.

Most people said kicking game and loss of Fangio were going to be the major concerns to cause Bears to be bad.   Kicking wasn't wonderful, but wasn't really the problem with the team.  Fangio would not have made a lick of difference I think.  A healthy 2019 Bears defense with a mentally functioning R. Smith is a great defense.   

The people saying MT would be bad were mostly right.  But while he was bad, 85% of league QBs would also have been bad.

I think Brady, Rodgers, Brees and Mahomes could have done something with this team with superior pocket presence, quick accurate passing and proper reads, but anyone else would be really arguable.

Actually, people mostly said the defense would regress because they were exceptionally healthy last year and had an unsustainable amount of turnovers/defensive scores -- neither of which was likely to be repeatable two seasons in a row -- and that's exactly what happened.  DVOA wise, they went from one of the 10 best defenses of the past 30 years to a top 10 defense in the 2019 season.  Still good/great, but a clear regression.

Regression =/= they are bad.  

Edited by fortdetroit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Probably both LA's and probably Philly and GB (home) too

They didn't deserve to win any of those games and were never in the lead in any of them save for against GB 3-0 and then didn't score any more points that entire game.

They definitely fumbled the games away vs the Chargers and Raiders.

Either way this team would be going nowhere in the playoffs had they won those games and made it in somehow.  Not with a 30th ranked offense...

Edited by topwop1

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

They didn't deserve to win any of those games and were never in the lead in any of them.

They definitely fumbled the games away vs the Chargers and Raiders.

Either way this team would be going nowhere in the playoffs had they won those games and made it in somehow.  Not with a 30th ranked offense...

Huh? They were beating the Chargers, Packers and Raiders at a point in each of those games.

FWIW, I do somewhat agree. My point was if the Bears had an offense even close to average they would've won all 4.

Edited by beardown3231

Just now, beardown3231 said:

Huh? They were beating the Chargers and Raiders at a point in each of those games.

FWIW, I do somewhat agree. My point was if the Bears had an offense even close to average they would've won all 4.

I meant the games vs LA Rams, Philly and GB

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya 3-0 LOL and then didn't proceed to score any more points that entire game so can't say they should have won that.

I'm just saying they were leading. You can't say they weren't winning at any point if they were. Like I said with that piss poor offense they really should've been 2-14.

Very curious to see what Pace has to say on Tuesday.  If he continues to give us his same spiel about how Mitch is a hard worker and they believe that he is on a good path, etc etc blah blah blah, then I am going to lose faith in him.

Bottom line is significant changes need to made this off season, including legitimate competition and some coaching changes, plus an infusion of talent to the OL and TE positions.

I want to hear that come out of Pace's mouth.

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Very curious to see what Pace has to say on Tuesday.  If he continues to give us his same spiel about how Mitch is a hard worker and they believe that he is on a good path, etc etc blah blah blah, then I am going to lose faith in him.

Bottom line is significant changes need to made this off season, including legitimate competition and some coaching changes, plus an infusion of talent to the OL and TE positions.

Really that PC should be Pace alone and he should be a complete ***. He should say they got nothing positive from the TE's, OL, QB's and coaches. He should put everyone's *** on notice.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm just saying they were leading. You can't say they weren't winning at any point if they were. Like I said with that piss poor offense they really should've been 2-14.

I actually forgot they were leading that game...nonetheless you get my point...they didn't deserve to win any of those 3 games vs GB (both games) and vs Rams and Eagles.

They could have been a lot worse for sure...but they were lucky to play Lions twice without Stafford and basically a backup Vikings squad today...and they still barely won those games.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You know he’s never going to give his position away. Follow his actions not what he says Tuesday.

• Like 1