2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm torn on this. Talent wise I say heck ya. But a WR with that ego is not good for a young QB.

Agreed. I’m not a fan of his at all other than his ability. I do think Sam has made strides with his command and I’m less worried about him dealing with a diva now than I would’ve been a year or 2 ago... last year he dealt with a lot and overcame it, don’t think Odell would be so hard for him to deal with. 

The biggest issue with him is contract. He’s going to want a raise (currently averaging $15m a year). The only comfortable way to give him a raise while avoiding a long term commitment would be loading up his 2020 payables (guaranteed roster bonus + signing bonus), but such would limit our cap flexibility in 2020 as it would likely mean he carries a $25m cap hit. 

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Agreed. I’m not a fan of his at all other than his ability. I do think Sam has made strides with his command and I’m less worried about him dealing with a diva now than I would’ve been a year or 2 ago... last year he dealt with a lot and overcame it, don’t think Odell would be so hard for him to deal with. 

The biggest issue with him is contract. He’s going to want a raise (currently averaging $15m a year). The only comfortable way to give him a raise while avoiding a long term commitment would be loading up his 2020 payables (guaranteed roster bonus + signing bonus), but such would limit our cap flexibility in 2020 as it would likely mean he carries a $25m cap hit. 

Which in turn could make us not as aggressive in the OL, Edge and CB market. I have WR as our 2nd biggest need after OL but I never really was in the thought process of us spending huge for a guy. Hence why you haven't heard me screaming to sign Cooper (partly bc I think he stays in Dallas).

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Which in turn could make us not as aggressive in the OL, Edge and CB market. I have WR as our 2nd biggest need after OL but I never really was in the thought process of us spending huge for a guy. Hence why you haven't heard me screaming to sign Cooper (partly bc I think he stays in Dallas).

Exactly. It’s exactly why execs preach that you can’t “fix” every position in one offseason. The Jets will probably seek to avoid going over $100 million in new cash for 2020 (not cap hits, cash*), so assuming you were to add Odell at a $35 million payout in 2020, you’re left with $65 million in cash for other FAs. A top OL is going to cost $50M guaranteed alone... however, contracts are interesting- assuming the Jets are committed to an OL or two over the long haul, they can imbed guaranteed roster bonuses in year 2/3 to reduce the overall payouts and cap hits in year 1, delaying how much ownership needs to put in escrow for 2020 until 2021/2022. Still, you’re left with very little to address the rest of the roster. Besides, still have to start thinking about Adams. 

Most likely/prudent option IMO is to commit the “mega” deals in 2020 to no more than 2 players: either 1 OL and a 1 OL/CB/EDGE (or 1 OL and 2 OL/CB/EDGE on intermediate contracts) with the rest of the money for lower priced FAs to plug holes/re-signings. Use the draft to address the WR position. Then next year when Bell’s, Enunwa’s, and Anderson’s contracts are off the books we can focus that money on a top-notch player at a position of greatest needed whether it be WR (Allen Robinson, Keenan Allen, Curtis Samuel, JJSS, Golladay, Lockett...), EDGE (Tyus Bowser, Derek Barnett, Tak McKinley...), or CB (Chidobe Awuzie, Marshon Lattimore, Darius Slay, Patrick Peterson, Adoree Jackson...). By then, you’ll know what you have at each position, and if it’s clear more juice is needed at say WR, there will be no short of talent available via FA/trade. 

Edited by jetskid007

20 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Exactly. It’s exactly why execs preach that you can’t “fix” every position in one offseason. The Jets will probably seek to avoid going over $100 million in new cash for 2020 (not cap hits, cash*), so assuming you were to add Odell at a $35 million payout in 2020, you’re left with $65 million in cash for other FAs. A top OL is going to cost $50M guaranteed alone... however, contracts are interesting- assuming the Jets are committed to an OL or two over the long haul, they can imbed guaranteed roster bonuses in year 2/3 to reduce the overall payouts and cap hits in year 1, delaying how much ownership needs to put in escrow for 2020 until 2021/2022. Still, you’re left with very little to address the rest of the roster. Besides, still have to start thinking about Adams. 

Most likely/prudent option IMO is to commit the “mega” deals in 2020 to no more than 2 players: either 1 OL and a 1 OL/CB/EDGE (or 1 OL and 2 OL/CB/EDGE on intermediate contracts) with the rest of the money for lower priced FAs to plug holes/re-signings. Use the draft to address the WR position. Then next year when Bell’s, Enunwa’s, and Anderson’s contracts are off the books we can focus that money on a top-notch player at a position of greatest needed whether it be WR (Allen Robinson, Keenan Allen, Curtis Samuel, JJSS, Golladay, Lockett...), EDGE (Tyus Bowser, Derek Barnett, Tak McKinley...), or CB (Chidobe Awuzie, Marshon Lattimore, Darius Slay, Patrick Peterson, Adoree Jackson...). By then, you’ll know what you have at each position, and if it’s clear more juice is needed at say WR, there will be no short of talent available via FA/trade. 

Ya we'd have to get creative to get everything we need. I am (as you said) ok with stretching out some contracts payouts if they guy getting that contract has youth on his size and is proven. I mean I'd have no issue stretching out the contract of Conklin, Thuney, Scherff or Glasgow. They're all 28 or younger and are proven. I'm ok with going cheaper at edge and cb than I am at WR. 

2 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Another idea could be to send them a 4th and Henry Anderson. Clearing up cap space and not as high of a pick. Not sure how much leverage Cleveland has with him with his salary, antics and a down year (given he still had 1k yards).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Another idea could be to send them a 4th and Henry Anderson. Clearing up cap space and not as high of a pick. Not sure how much leverage Cleveland has with him with his salary, antics and a down year (given he still had 1k yards).

Can’t imagine they’d go for that. If they did I’d cry!! Odell is my favourite college player of all time (LSU fan) so I’d be so happy if we traded for him. I expect it would take a lot more draft picks though 

49 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Can’t imagine they’d go for that. If they did I’d cry!! Odell is my favourite college player of all time (LSU fan) so I’d be so happy if we traded for him. I expect it would take a lot more draft picks though 

I think it would take more too. But the thing is is that he is an issue. And having him there with what that organization was expected last year and cleaning house. He might be part of that. So his price could go way down. 

1 hour ago, DowNY said:

Not only would acquiring Odell ease my pain of passing in Jeudy &/or Lamb, but I’m pretty sure that any team that trades for him acquires a decently team friendly deal at this point. Seen that somewhere. I’ll post link if I find it.

His guaranteed money is nearly done in his contract (I think he’s guaranteed 2.5mill this year). On 3/20 though he’s guaranteed the rest of his salary this season. So expect a decision on trading him before then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

His guaranteed money is nearly done in his contract (I think he’s guaranteed 2.5mill this year). On 3/20 though he’s guaranteed the rest of his salary this season. So expect a decision on trading him before then.

2.75m is guaranteed salary right now.  On 3/18, 2.75m becomes 11.5m injury guarantee (out of 14m base salary).  These figures are no objection to any team but he wants bigger new cash ala Darrelle Revis.   For Jets, it is clearly a hard pass.

7 hours ago, JetsandI said:

2.75m is guaranteed salary right now.  On 3/18, 2.75m becomes 11.5m injury guarantee (out of 14m base salary).  These figures are no objection to any team but he wants bigger new cash ala Darrelle Revis.   For Jets, it is clearly a hard pass.

Depends on price. If we could get him for 1 of our 2 3rd rounders and make his new deal in essence the same price of his current deal... I’d be ok with that. For example that would only be paying him a couple more mill per season than Robby will get. And OBJ is A LOT more talented than Robby. 

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Not a chance they'd take that deal. Technically the Browns can cut him prior to March 18 and experience no dead cap as it is; there's no added advantage for them to take on Henry Anderson, let alone with a lower draft pick. Maybe if the Jets gave more than market value + Anderson, not less.

My guess is he won't get traded in this offseason because the Browns have a lot of options. They'll give him the fresh start, and his $14.25m salary will become guaranteed. If their season gets off to a rocky start, they can look into trading him at any point, and could potentially net more than they would now because teams will (1) know what they have post-draft; (2) injuries come into play; (3) teams in the hunt could be willing to overpay; and (4) Browns are able to take on additional salary in a trade any time after March 18. They can also wait until next offseason to reevaluate depending on how things go in 2020.