2019/2020 Offseason

Bobby816

Gase summed up how he wants to build the receiver core in principle. Highlighted that everyone loves speed, and this draft is full of it. Values both kinds of receivers - those who can win off the LOS and take a 3 yard completion for a 65 gain, and those who can win over the top. Ideally you have both, and the draft is full of a lot of fast guys, guys with experience, and guys who can do a lot of different things.

The news of Jets wanting Robby back aligns with what Adam says about having receivers who can win over the top and adjust coverage (this is an X/Split End in his offense). If he leaves, look for deep threats to replace him. 

The guy who goes “3 yards and can take it 65” is the Z/Flanker receiver in his offense. This is the biggest hole we have in our receiving core, as Gase traditionally looks at the Z and Y as the primary options with the X serving as the big play / decoy on many plays. 

Here’s what I’ll say about Robby: I don’t think the Jets will re-sign him, but I’m not shocked that they want to. They’re all-in on building around Darnold, and given that Sam is most familiar with Robby, his age and his fit in the offense, the Jets may be willing to pay more than our beat has let up on. Keep in mind that the cap continues to rise, and with that do contracts... $12-14 million per today is $14-16 per next year. From a resource allocation standpoint, Robby + Crowder + cheap but effective receivers on rookie contracts can still fall within their allocation budget, assuming its somewhere under $25-30m per year. 

• Like 1

My recap of Joe Douglas's press conference: 

• The plan is for Jamal Adams to be a Jet for life. Already negotiating with the agents. 
  • Blink and you could've missed it, but Joe Douglas pretty much confirmed Brian Winters to be back in 2020, offering heavy praise. I think there's a good chance he returns on a reduced cap figure that is converted into a guaranteed salary. What will make things interesting is if the Jets are ready to chalk up the starting job to him (assuming healthy), but he certainly made it clear that OL is the teams biggest need, so it will be interesting to monitor how he approaches it. Sounding more and more like LG/C in FA, hopefully Lewis back to compete for a spot, and an OT early in the draft with another lineman or two later throughout the draft... in BAL, it was always draft and develop a pipeline to replace the next guy who was a FA or retiring... could see that start with Winters next year (a 2020 draft pick replacing him). If the Jets don't sign a tackle (i.e. Beachum), you know what they're doing on day 1 of the draft. 
  • High praise for Robby and they're going to talk to his reps throughout combine week. 
  • Le'Veon not getting traded - he and Adam Gase on the same page. 
  • The Jets are hopeful Quincy will be back and they have a good feeling he will be. Second time they said this in the past few months. Really in the hands of the doctors. If he is, I think he'll compete to start, but at the very least will mean we should have fantastic depth for 2020 assuming we add a few WRs in the class.  
  • Joe Douglas feels like there will be Day 1 receivers available throughout Day 2 and really like the class as a whole. That said, I'm not as sold the Jets won't go WR round 1 as I was yesterday, but JD acknowledged they're open to moving up or down in the draft. Making teams think WR is on the table increased the market for the Jets pick, but could also prompt a team to move up before 11 (hence possibly a desired tackle falling). 
  • Joe feels there are "quite a few" OL at the top of the draft that fit the mold of what they're looking for at OL - emphasized smart, durable, tough, explosive... versatile... versatile is key, they have to be able to play multiple positions 
  • Corner and Pass Rush are positions the Jets will keep an eye on very closely. 

Biggest indicator of the rest of our offseason really comes down to the status of Robby Anderson and Kelvin Beachum. I found it interesting that Beachum, Jenkins, and Pool were not mentioned, but not going to read too much into it. 

• Like 2

Part of me really wants Jets to heavily overhaul the team but it is a reality where you have to deal with money and experience for starting gig.   Winters and Enunwa are now basically a cheap option for short term.  Restructure or not. 

Now, with Winters sticking around for another year, we should learn more about Cameron Clark as his future replacement.  As for 1st round selection, Jets may select OL or OT starting with W.

I am curious about JD's thinking about WR during night 2.  Will he sit back and take whoever is available or move up to get certain prospect or go after 1st round grade WR immediately?

Adam Gase: 

• Much better with the media. Seems like he's been working on his people skills lol. 
  • Spoke highly of Bell - sounds like they're going to adjust some things schematically to accommodate him and they will seek to get him more involved in the passing game. 
  • Sounds like he's with Douglas in wanting Robby back... big advantage if they can get him back, but acknowledged free agency makes things unpredictable. It sounds like it will truly come down to how much the market dictates for them. 
  • Gase awkwardly acknowledged/tip toed around the topic, but in answering a question in regards to how critical it was to upgrade the OL via FA and the draft, replied, "I think right now especially with, you know, free agents... that we have... really kind of available its gonna, we have holes just by guys being contracts up... I know Joe.... they have been working on this relentlessly starting during the season... that's just kind of how it goes those guys are working on this year round, they know we got some holes to fill, we gotta do a good job with that, we gotta find the right guys for us, and we gotta make sure that our OL is ready to go and we gotta have a bunch of guys that can help us that can protect the QB." In addressing specifically how to build an OL via FA, Gase acknowledged that one advantage is having a lot of guys on the staff who have worked with a lot of the free agent crop is an advantage (looking at you, Glasgow). What I understood all his comments to mean: they have their own free agents along the OL that create some holes, and the Jets need to fill those holes with guys who are an improvement over what they had while also adding to their depth. My sense is what most of us have acknowledged - add a blend of experience, likely by adding a few FAs (the Bills model) with the draft in order to net the best 5 guys. 
  • When asked directly about how you weigh WR that Sam can grow with vs. an OT he can grow with, Adam responded "what's the best available and what are our options..." Pretty much side-stepping the question.  
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Part of me really wants Jets to heavily overhaul the team but it is a reality where you have to deal with money and experience for starting gig.   Winters and Enunwa are now basically a cheap option for short term.  Restructure or not. 

Now, with Winters sticking around for another year, we should learn more about Cameron Clark as his future replacement.  As for 1st round selection, Jets may select OL or OT starting with W.

I am curious about JD's thinking about WR during night 2.  Will he sit back and take whoever is available or move up to get certain prospect or go after 1st round grade WR immediately?

A few points on this.

(1) I think Douglas is drafting a few lineman this year regardless. He's not relying on Winters long-term, and even if you sign FAs you can't bank on they being here for the full duration of the contract, and Edoga is still a question mark even if the staff loves him. My guess is they're thinking tackle in round 1, and will see what OL are around in day 2-3 as developmental options who can potentially start year 1 if needed.

(2) Douglas emphasized versatility, and of the 4 top OL the only one who hasn't played multiple positions is Wills. Not saying that means anything, but clearly Douglas thinks its an extremely important trait for lineman to play multiple positions. 

(3) He made it clear he's willing to trade up or down. I would think that if there is a prospect they absolutely loved they would trade up. If there is a pocket of receivers all with similar grades and the Jets feel at least one will fall to them they'd probably stick. Otherwise move down. Just a hunch, but I get the sense that Douglas will be picking the OT in Day 1, and Adam will have a strong, strong say in who the team picks at WR somewhere in day 2. If a player falls out of the 1st that they feel is a slam dunk, they'll move up... Adam tried pushing Macc to move up for Mecole Hardman last year and just when he had finally convinced him into moving up to #57, until the Chiefs swooped in and took him #56. You think he lets that happen again? 

If you package all the comments from today's presser and weave them together with what history has told us, the Jets want to add game-breaking YAC at WR, and the only place to get one is in the draft. CeeDee Lamb, Jerry Jeudy, Laviska Shenault, Brandon Aiyuk, KJ Hamler, Devin Duvernay all fit the profile. 

What I’d like to see is us sign Thuney or Scherff to sure up 1 G spot. Sign Glasgow at C or G. Resign Lewis and rework Winters. Really pressure Edoga to push himself to start. Then draft 1 of the 4 OLineman at 11 and grab a versatile G/C in the mid rounds (Hennessy is a name to look out for). Then let them battle it out for a few spots in the OL at a G spot, C spot and even T. But it’s a battle of talented players. Not below average guys.

I took from the interviews today that there’s a very slim chance we go WR at 11 baring something incredible happening in FA. I do hope we go WR multiple times in the mid rounds.

Furthermore... I think we'd be idiotic to rely on Enunwa in any shape or form. Dude needs to hang it up.

• Like 1

Some news from a variety of combine sources

• RG Brandon Scherff most likely returning to Washington. Could help explain the support that Douglas through behind Winters... no sense cutting him if they don't have a solution, considering that the Jets are approaching the offseason as if Glasgow will play C. 
  • A bidding war going to break out for LG Joe Thuney and the Jets are in "hot pursuit" of Jack Conklin. I think the Jets are aiming to come away with one of these guys + Glasgow in free agency. Assuming the new CBA gets ratified, the Titans will only have 1 tag, which makes thing interesting since Tannehill-Henry-Conklin are all free agents.  
  • OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai on the Jets radar. Could be an option for the Jets if they don't sign Conklin and/or Glasgow. 
  • League executives believe Douglas is taking an OL in round 1 and will trade up if the opportunity presents itself. Essentially, don't rule out the Jets moving up to pick 7-9 to jump some teams looking for OTs. 

The smoke keeps piling on for Conklin to NY. If the Jets did add Conklin, I think a few things can happen: Edoga to LT/draft pick to LG, Conklin to LT/draft pick to LG, draft pick to LT/Edoga to LG, or Conklin to LT/draft pick to RT/Edoga to LG. Douglas didn't mince words when he says that his OL must be position versatile, so the amount of line combinations that may be considered will make one's head spin. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Some news from a variety of combine sources

• RG Brandon Scherff most likely returning to Washington. Could help explain the support that Douglas through behind Winters... no sense cutting him if they don't have a solution, considering that the Jets are approaching the offseason as if Glasgow will play C. 
  • A bidding war going to break out for LG Joe Thuney and the Jets are in "hot pursuit" of Jack Conklin. I think the Jets are aiming to come away with one of these guys + Glasgow in free agency. Assuming the new CBA gets ratified, the Titans will only have 1 tag, which makes thing interesting since Tannehill-Henry-Conklin are all free agents.  
  • OL Halapoulivaati Vaitai on the Jets radar. Could be an option for the Jets if they don't sign Conklin and/or Glasgow. 
  • League executives believe Douglas is taking an OL in round 1 and will trade up if the opportunity presents itself. Essentially, don't rule out the Jets moving up to pick 7-9 to jump some teams looking for OTs. 

The smoke keeps piling on for Conklin to NY. If the Jets did add Conklin, I think a few things can happen: Edoga to LT/draft pick to LG, Conklin to LT/draft pick to LG, draft pick to LT/Edoga to LG, or Conklin to LT/draft pick to RT/Edoga to LG. Douglas didn't mince words when he says that his OL must be position versatile, so the amount of line combinations that may be considered will make one's head spin. 

Goof info. I'd be happy with a combo of Conklin or Thuney and Glasgow out of FA. I do find it odd though that JD didn't mention Lewis or Beachum at all.