How did our defense become so rotten?

sonny44

And yeah, as @LETSGOBROWNIES said about running zone, it's useless with our players.

First of all, a heavy zone defense gives up way too many cheap completions. It's very hard to get 3 & outs and play a field position game that way. You could have all the talent in the world and play one of the crappiest teams in the world offensively and still give up points if you stay in zone the whole game. The Bengals had no business putting up 30+ points on us. But it's easy to run into a wide open space, sit down, and catch a pass. It requires you to have timing rather than to have good athletes.

Also, you can't freaking run zone inside the 20 yard line. There are too many damn holes right down the seams when you do that. We were exploited between the linebackers and the safeties all year long in the red zone because of that voided area. I have no ungodly idea why Wilkes ran the scheme the way he did. He was our worst coach, IMO.

The entire purpose of zone is to keep everything in front of you and then rally up and hit. You don't need speed to play it, but you certainly need toughness and instincts. It's the polar opposite of what we employed on defense. It made literally no sense to be a zone team with our current setup of players. I can't wait to see Ward and Greedy playing press man and eliminating the simple throws that have plagued us for what seems like an eternity.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

And yeah, as @LETSGOBROWNIES said about running zone, it's useless with our players.

First of all, a heavy zone defense gives up way too many cheap completions. It's very hard to get 3 & outs and play a field position game that way. You could have all the talent in the world and play one of the crappiest teams in the world offensively and still give up points if you stay in zone the whole game. The Bengals had no business putting up 30+ points on us. But it's easy to run into a wide open space, sit down, and catch a pass. It requires you to have timing rather than to have good athletes.

Also, you can't freaking run zone inside the 20 yard line. There are too many damn holes right down the seams when you do that. We were exploited between the linebackers and the safeties all year long in the red zone because of that voided area. I have no ungodly idea why Wilkes ran the scheme the way he did. He was our worst coach, IMO.

The entire purpose of zone is to keep everything in front of you and then rally up and hit. You don't need speed to play it, but you certainly need toughness and instincts. It's the polar opposite of what we employed on defense. It made literally no sense to be a zone team with our current setup of players. I can't wait to see Ward and Greedy playing press man and eliminating the simple throws that have plagued us for what seems like an eternity.

Zone and BS 10 yard cushions drive me nuts, especially against crap QB’s.

If you’re playing the Chiefs and want to avoid being roasted deep, mixing in some zone is cool.  But when you’re playing rookies and guys like Dalton and Duck whateverthehellhisnameis, we need to be nose to nose, bump and run and make their QB thread some needles.

Will they? Yep, you bet, they’re pros too.

But they’re gonna miss too, and sometimes miss bad enough it’s going the other way.

Nobody throws picks when they’re throwing to WR’a running 5 yard outs when coverage is still 5 yards away, it’s just pitch and catch at that point.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Zone and BS 10 yard cushions drive me nuts, especially against crap QB’s.

If you’re playing the Chiefs and want to avoid being roasted deep, mixing in some zone is cool.  But when you’re playing rookies and guys like Dalton and Duck whateverthehellhisnameis, we need to be nose to nose, bump and run and make their QB thread some needles.

Will they? Yep, you bet, they’re pros to.

But they’re gonna miss too, and sometimes miss bad enough it’s going the other way.

Nobody throws picks when they’re throwing to WR’a running 5 yard outs when coverage is still 5 yards away, it’s just pitch and catch at that point.

And we just never learned. We were shredded this way by almost every team we faced this year and didn't change up the looks. It reeked of incompetence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

And we just never learned. We were shredded this way by almost every team we faced this year and didn't change up the looks. It reeked of incompetence.

Greggggg did that same dumb ish year 1 too.

I was screaming at my tv as we played 12 yards off on 3rd and 5 and Hundley just through the out repeatedly for first downs.

I get making them march down the field, bend but don’t break, yada yada, but you have to make it tough for them, not just “execute your offense till you get in FG range and then dial up a blitz”.

• Like 1

He is probably gone and a lot of us support it but Kirksey >>> any LB we have not named Schobert.

Teams will expose and defense that runs a base nickel, see Arizona 2018. They ran base nickel in goaline D and I'm pretty sure we did too.

That defense probably works if you always have a 2 score lead but our offense stuck and it still isn't a good base defense.

We had a good pass rush seemingly 10% of the time with Myles and 2% without. You can't let QBs be comfortable whether it's Tom Brady or some scrub. They are all good and pitch and catch. You at least have to have the QB believe there is potential pressure, we couldn't even do that. It didn't seem like our D line did anything but occpy blockers and we didn't blitz often so there wasn't much going on.

Greedy has a little to learn but a better scheme will do wonders.

We couldn't tackle. We don't wrap up.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

He is probably gone and a lot of us support it but Kirksey >>> any LB we have not named Schobert.

The other guys are rookies though to be fair.

Teams will expose and defense that runs a base nickel, see Arizona 2018. They ran base nickel in goaline D and I'm pretty sure we did too.

Yeah, to some degree for sure. 

You need a stud box safety to run it, and we didn’t.

That defense probably works if you always have a 2 score lead but our offense stuck and it still isn't a good base defense.

We had a good pass rush seemingly 10% of the time with Myles and 2% without. You can't let QBs be comfortable whether it's Tom Brady or some scrub. They are all good and pitch and catch. You at least have to have the QB believe there is potential pressure, we couldn't even do that. It didn't seem like our D line did anything but occpy blockers and we didn't blitz often so there wasn't much going on.

Can’t get pressure when they can throw it to an uncovered WR for easy yards.

Greedy has a little to learn but a better scheme will do wonders.

Agreed.  He and Ward were drafted for press, not zone.  Wilks pounding the square peg in the round hole was frustrating.

We couldn't tackle. We don't wrap up.

In defense of the players, when you’re in zone and not near the guy with the ball, it’s tough to tackle some of these guys.

4 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

@NudeTayne.

I would think this deserves a formal warning.

Perhaps in the past, but in 2019 those practicing an LGB posting lifestyle are a protected class, like it or not.

And that's a formal warning for being a bigot.

Edited by NudeTayne
Sorry, buddy. The masters say it's bad optics.
  • Like 2