Offseason Thread

Elky

On 26.4.2020 at 12:54 PM, ChazStandard said:

Trent Williams for a 3rd and 5th.

Hopkins for David Johnson.

Different circumstances, obviously, but it seems every trade going makes Sanu for a 2nd look frickin' terribad.

one of the dumbest trades in Patriots history. 

On 4/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, SBLIII said:

one of the dumbest trades in Patriots history. 

No there have been many just as bad if not worst. Pats trade pick with San Fran, take OL Trevor Matich  San Fran uses the pick to take Jerry Rice !

https://www.americaninno.com/boston/worst-trade-in-patriots-history-possibly-jerry-rice-the-49ers-in-the-1985-nfl-draft-video/

Edited by m haynes

• 3 weeks later...

Not to pat myself on the the back. :D  This is the major problem with Harry.  I knew it when I watched him last year. I could not believe this wasn't address before this off season.  Now, if it works we might see a much better player going forward.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nkeal-harrys-new-trainer-details-how-patriots-wr-can-improve-2020

11 hours ago, m haynes said:

Not to pat myself on the the back. :D  This is the major problem with Harry.  I knew it when I watched him last year. I could not believe this wasn't address before this off season.  Now, if it works we might see a much better player going forward.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/nkeal-harrys-new-trainer-details-how-patriots-wr-can-improve-2020

"understanding where his foot should be"

First round pick, that is.

33 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

What should the appropriate response be?

Not calling his rookie season a complete waste nor labeling him a bust who is incompetent as far as being a true wide receiver. The expectations after he got hurt should have been what we saw essentially.

What I saw was a players that ran like a duck in quick sand. Yes I over exaggerate my point but I'm using it as a visual.  He is slow and lacks quickness.

X WR   "He's on the line of scrimmage, he cannot go in motion, and so, when he's facing a cornerback, as he almost always is, the cornerback can jam him at the line. So, your X receiver, he better have the profile of a guy that has the speed to get down the sideline, he better have the quickness to get away from the corner, and he better be good coming off a press."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/17/3165517/breaking-down-the-x-z-and-slot-receiver

I know he was hurt however he came in as a 4.59 speed guy which I consider slow for the position. Now you add the choppy steps, he look even slower. Some of it had to do with injury however IMO is just a excuse.  His biggest skill is size however if he can't put fear in a corner he's done and his effectiveness will be average at best.

We are talking about a 1st round pick. I want to see more than what he has shown in his limited time on the field.

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

What I saw was a players that ran like a duck in quick sand. Yes I over exaggerate my point but I'm using it as a visual.  He is slow and lacks quickness.

X WR   "He's on the line of scrimmage, he cannot go in motion, and so, when he's facing a cornerback, as he almost always is, the cornerback can jam him at the line. So, your X receiver, he better have the profile of a guy that has the speed to get down the sideline, he better have the quickness to get away from the corner, and he better be good coming off a press."

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/17/3165517/breaking-down-the-x-z-and-slot-receiver

I know he was hurt however he came in as a 4.59 speed guy which I consider slow for the position. Now you add the choppy steps, he look even slower. Some of it had to do with injury however IMO is just a excuse.  His biggest skill is size however if he can't put fear in a corner he's done and his effectiveness will be average at best.

We are talking about a 1st round pick. I want to see more than what he has shown in his limited time on the field.

Michael Thomas ran a 4.57 his 40 time isn't as bad as it might seem. But I agree that he looked slow at times but at other times he looked pretty good. it could have been a result of his injury, not being sure of himself as to what read to make, or he could just be bad. I think letting him have a healthy season will go a long way to making that determination. 

10 minutes ago, jofos said:

Michael Thomas ran a 4.57 his 40 time isn't as bad as it might seem. But I agree that he looked slow at times but at other times he looked pretty good. it could have been a result of his injury, not being sure of himself as to what read to make, or he could just be bad. I think letting him have a healthy season will go a long way to making that determination. 

Michael Thomas is an elite route runner and has hands covered in honey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elky said:

Michael Thomas is an elite route runner and has hands covered in honey.

That doesn't change the fact that he is only .02 seconds faster than Harry and that's what we were talking about.

16 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Not calling his rookie season a complete waste nor labeling him a bust who is incompetent as far as being a true wide receiver. The expectations after he got hurt should have been what we saw essentially.

He shouldn't be labelled as incompetent, he clearly isn't incompetent. And as @jofos said, we need to give him a FULL season before lowering the hammer of justice.

HOWEVER, we are certainly allowed to criticise a season where, as a first round pick (not his fault), he averaged 15 yards per game, and failed to gain the confidence of the greatest QB ever. Not an easy task, but he spent A LOT of time with him in the off-season and when he was healthy in practice, by all accounts.

And when you read articles like the above where it mentions 'we helped N'Keal get his feet in the right place' you have to question the pick in the first instance. Was this really a first round talent?

More of a criticism of the pick rather than the player - the player, in his limited time resembled a 4th or 5th round pick WR. He was suppose to Deebo Samuel, wasn't he. Not the fastest, but a monster after the catch and box defenders out. I reiterate we need to see a whole season, I am NOT writing him off at all, but I do criticise what we've seen so far.