BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Top 3 Best 2020 BDL Draft Picks

2. 5.5 - Edge Terrell Lewis - if he can stay healthy this is a steal

Top 3 Worst 2020 BDL Draft Picks

2. 2.5 - QB Justin Herbert - regardless of value, its a #5 QB at #21...enough said 

3. 3.1 - RB Cam Akers -- with Barkley on the roster and Dobbins and CEH still available, this makes no sense given that they have nearly nothing at G. Lloyd Cushenberry would've made far more sense.

Why would you think Lewis is going to stay healthy? He wasn't even a full-time starter last season when he was healthy and wasn't all that productive.

I don't know which interpretation of this is worse: that you have Herbert as QB5 or that you don't understand Herbert could reasonably be the only QB on their roster by draft-time next year.

Don't know why everyone is so high on Edwards-Helaire. Slow, undersized, subpar reps on the bench, and banged up by the end of the season. He deserves to be drafted and can likely carve out a role on a team, but he's hardly a game-changing talent in my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

Slow, undersized, subpar reps on the bench, and banged up by the end of the season.

He's short but being almost 210 lbs at 5'7 he's a pretty thicc boi. Runs with good balance and power, he's got good quickness, he catches the ball well, good lateral agility, makes nice quick decisive cuts. He reminds me of Ray Rice.

I think there's a lot to like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Top 3 Worst 2020 BDL Draft Picks

1. 4.11 RB CEH -- Bell, Carson, Hunt, Conner, Murray... WTF are you doing? You actually gave up a 5th to get Carson. Chose to keep Hunt and Conner AND you draft a RB who immediately enters as your #6 option.

I don't draft based off of need? Nor do I count on rookies performing in their first year. If it happens it's nice but I draft for years 2-3. So it's fine that he's likely not to make the game day roster to start the year.

I got what some pundits consider the best RB in the draft. I have always carried 5-6 RB's as injuries and suspensions happen.

Hell some years I have carried multiple fullbacks.

1 minute ago, Jlash said:

He's short but being almost 210 lbs at 5'7 he's a pretty thicc boi. Runs with good balance and power, he's got good quickness, he catches the ball well, good lateral agility, makes nice quick decisive cuts. He reminds me of Ray Rice.

I think there's a lot to like. 

It's not hugely concerning and I don't think he's a bad player at all; he was impressive when I watched him, and he certainly made a lot of money against Bama in particular. But he's not an impressive athlete by NFL standards. I know 207 lbs sounds big for a 5-7 guy, and it is, but combine that with a 4.6 40 and it's hard to find a successful player with that combination of traits at the NFL level.

As for Rice, he was a lot faster and stronger than Edwards-Helaire tested. Other Combine numbers weren't as good but was basically identical if you take his Pro Day numbers (which, again, I'm not advocating anyone take seriously). It's not a bad comp, though.

• Like 1

Devin Singletary's got a similar athletic profile to CEH and he was pretty good as a rookie. He's not gonna be a burner, but these nugget dudes are shifty and tough to bring down with their low centre of gravity. 

Also the bench isn't particularly useful for most positions. I'd take much more out of seeing what prospects can squat and deadlift. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Devin Singletary's got a similar athletic profile to CEH and he was pretty good as a rookie. He's not gonna be a burner, but these nugget dudes are shifty and tough to bring down with their low centre of gravity. 

Also the bench isn't particularly useful for most positions. I'd take much more out of seeing what prospects can squat and deadlift. 

Exactly, he's a slightly more explosive Singletary (Vert/Broad) with huge hands and is a better receiver. I'm not worried about his 40 as he runs away from guys on tape whereas guys like Swift get brought down more often.

I mean my other drafted RB's had the following 40's so I have a type it seems.

Hunt - 4.62

Conner - 4.65

Bell - 4.60

Free Agents Signings

Carson - 4.58

Murray - 4.38 (Pro Day Only)

Edited by SirA1

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Why would you think Lewis is going to stay healthy? He wasn't even a full-time starter last season when he was healthy and wasn't all that productive.

I don't know which interpretation of this is worse: that you have Herbert as QB5 or that you don't understand Herbert could reasonably be the only QB on their roster by draft-time next year.

Don't know why everyone is so high on Edwards-Helaire. Slow, undersized, subpar reps on the bench, and banged up by the end of the season. He deserves to be drafted and can likely carve out a role on a team, but he's hardly a game-changing talent in my opinion.

I don't think he will stay healthy. 

Also, I get why the Herbert pick was made but if you think he comes in as a rookie and jumps any of those QBs currently on Romes roster I think you're crazy. Also I'm not very high on Herbert.

As far as CEH, I think he is overrated and Mel Kiper isn't a good source of grading players. 

1 hour ago, WFLukic said:

You'd be surprised; bench is important insofar as good players tend to meet a certain minimum relative to their position. It's tough to find good backs in the last ten years who managed fewer than 17 reps. We'll see how Singletary pans out long-term. I largely ignored 2019 results just because we don't really know how good most of those guys are yet.

40 time is one area that doesn't really matter for backs. You don't want a back who is doing a 4.6 flat, but it's not a kiss of death or anything. 4.63 or better is good enough. When I call CEH slow, I mean relative to his size. Going by SirA's list, a lot of those backs have a few inches and about ten pounds or more on Edwards-Helaire.

17 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Also, I get why the Herbert pick was made but if you think he comes in as a rookie and jumps any of those QBs currently on Romes roster I think you're crazy.

Unless you think this league is folding before next season, what does it matter? I don't think anyone except you believes that's why bcb made the pick.

Edited by Blue

43 minutes ago, Blue said:

You'd be surprised; bench is important insofar as good players tend to meet a certain minimum relative to their position. It's tough to find good backs in the last ten years who managed fewer than 17 reps. We'll see how Singletary pans out long-term. I largely ignored 2019 results just because we don't really know how good most of those guys are yet.

I still think its a correlation vs. causation thing. A good bench means you've got a strong chest and triceps. For an OL or DL, sure, you're pushing people a lot but for RBs, glutes, squads and hams are where you need strength. The guys meeting the minimum are likely strong at everything (and why they're good players). If an RB looks good on tape but has a bad bench, I'm not going to sweat it because it's functionally pretty useless in a game.

18 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

I still think its a correlation vs. causation thing. A good bench means you've got a strong chest and triceps. For an OL or DL, sure, you're pushing people a lot but for RBs, glutes, squads and hams are where you need strength. The guys meeting the minimum are likely strong at everything (and why they're good players). If an RB looks good on tape but has a bad bench, I'm not going to sweat it because it's functionally pretty useless in a game.

Sure, it's not important for running with the ball, but modern running backs have to catch and block, too. It's quite the talented back who can catch and block with his feet.