BDL Discussion Thread 2020

TedLavie

OK, so let me level with you all here. You decide whether you want me to continue in the league or whatever, but let me lay this all out for your honestly.

So I really had no idea what I was walking into when I took this team over.

I started with the season ready to begin and only a vague idea of what the rules were. From my understanding this team was abandoned for most of the offseason and didn't add any talent through free agency. All my picks were traded before I took this team over. My team is so riddled with injuries that I can barely field a team. This roster needs to be ripped up and re-shaped. There is no tactical advantage to me "tanking" because I have no picks, but me really spending all the time figuring out how to write up a detailed game plan is pretty pointless because my team really can't compete the way it is currently constructed and with the injuries I've endured and now this week I am losing several more starters from my already depleted team due to the COVID cancellation. The idea of spending all this time crafting a game plan, when none of you should vote for this injured riddled roster, seems rather daunting. 

So I'm not going to. My efforts this season will go to tearing down this mess and the building the team back when I have an real understanding of how this thing works next season. I'd rather spend my time learning how to build my roster, reading all of your gameplans and figuring out what is successful and not successful and then being ready to go for next season.

I realize that makes a competitive imbalance with whoever plays me getting a free win, so I get it if this isn't cool with the league and you'd rather replace me. But I figured, I would be up front and honest with how I am looking at this right now. 

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

building the team back when I have an real understanding of how this thing works

This is the hardest part, for everyone. You almost feel like you're drowning. A lot of people came into ownership from being a co-owner. I was a co-owner for just a little while before I took over an abandoned team a couple weeks into a season, and it took me most of that full season to really get a handle on what i was doing. I maybe pulled off 1 or 2 surprise wins that year, so I totally understand what you're saying. 

I think we'd all like you to attempt to strategize a gameplan, simply forfeiting every week sucks. I know from watching you operate all these other sim leagues that if you had a real squad you're a great addition to the league, and have the type of dedication the league needs. 

10 minutes ago, Jlash said:

This is the hardest part, for everyone. You almost feel like you're drowning. A lot of people came into ownership from being a co-owner. I was a co-owner for just a little while before I took over an abandoned team a couple weeks into a season, and it took me most of that full season to really get a handle on what i was doing. I maybe pulled off 1 or 2 surprise wins that year, so I totally understand what you're saying. 

I think we'd all like you to attempt to strategize a gameplan, simply forfeiting every week sucks. I know from watching you operate all these other sim leagues that if you had a real squad you're a great addition to the league, and have the type of dedication the league needs. 

@EaglesPeteC the way you’ll get better is writing the plans. Prepares you for when you have put your own mark on the team. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Also I would like to see you get some wins. Coming from the guy who owns your first and second it’s better for the league. 

Seriously. Losing games is the way I came up with the way I formulate game plans now. It's not fun, I get where he's coming from. But a lot of us have gone through full overhauls and sympathize. 

edit: And actually, looking at EPC's roster, once he gets healthy he's got a very good roster. I know he can win some games.

Edited by Jlash
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

OK, so let me level with you all here. You decide whether you want me to continue in the league or whatever, but let me lay this all out for your honestly.

I started with the season ready to begin and only a vague idea of what the rules were. From my understanding this team was abandoned for most of the offseason and didn't add any talent through free agency. All my picks were traded before I took this team over. My team is so riddled with injuries that I can barely field a team. This roster needs to be ripped up and re-shaped. There is no tactical advantage to me "tanking" because I have no picks, but me really spending all the time figuring out how to write up a detailed game plan is pretty pointless because my team really can't compete the way it is currently constructed and with the injuries I've endured and now this week I am losing several more starters from my already depleted team due to the COVID cancellation. The idea of spending all this time crafting a game plan, when none of you should vote for this injured riddled roster, seems rather daunting. 

So I'm not going to. My efforts this season will go to tearing down this mess and the building the team back when I have an real understanding of how this thing works next season. I'd rather spend my time learning how to build my roster, reading all of your gameplans and figuring out what is successful and not successful and then being ready to go for next season.

I realize that makes a competitive imbalance with whoever plays me getting a free win, so I get it if this isn't cool with the league and you'd rather replace me. But I figured, I would be up front and honest with how I am looking at this right now. 

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

@EaglesPeteC the way you’ll get better is writing the plans. Prepares you for when you have put your own mark on the team. 

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Also I would like to see you get some wins. Coming from the guy who owns your first and second it’s better for the league. 

These are both good points from Counselor. Gameplanning can be tough in this league so this is a good time to try out some different stuff and see what works and what doesn't and get feedback from people. And speaking from experience, it's tough to go winless. People will usually get a win at some point in the season if for pity if nothing else. There will be someone who has an injury riddled or bad team and it'll be close enough to people give you the win in a close one or something like that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rackcs said:

People will usually get a win at some point in the season if for pity if nothing else.

So to recap for me last year. 

Voted one of the worst rosters to start the year because of my QB situation.

Started ok, got dominated by WW who may have been winless at the time?

Went on to win the chip. Anything is possible.

• Like 1

@EaglesPeteC I don’t want to replace to you. As Jlash said you are great and will be great for this league going forward. We need dedication. It takes a lot to be in this league but that’s why it’s my favorite. The time and effort it requires. It creates a love/hate at times but it has kept me sane for four years now (some of you may argue about my sanity). A lot in my life has changed over that time but this has really been a therapy for me regardless of how I spout off or have tried to quit (some of you know what I was going through) but this has been a blessing. I’d like to see you keep with it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I think those of us that know you know you were and are a great addition to BDL.  You got put in a tough spot to start out, especially because of this season.

I absolutely get not investing too much into this season because that would get very frustrating.

I think you have the right general approach.  Add guys on the waiver wire(you will have the first waiver wire choice most weeks so focus on adding young players getting playing time), maybe trade away some vets you can get draft capital for, and work on learning the ins and outs of the league.

The one thing I would say is that I do think working on some game plans would help you practice for next season.  As others have said, play around with different ideas and schemes.  I find that part of BDL as fun as anything.  Plus, you learn a ton about players on teams you may not watch as much.  I'm not saying you need to spend 3 hours on a game plan, but see if you can't set aside time during the week to try a few things.  I usually work on my gameplan over the course of the week so it isn't as daunting.

You'll be fine and I definitely want you to stay around.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm not saying you need to spend 3 hours on a game plan, but see if you can't set aside time during the week to try a few things.

That's what I do. Right around Tuesday I start looking at my next opponent. Areas I know they're strong, areas I know I can exploit. Then periodically throughout the week I'll think of some key points in going after those advantages, so on game day it doesn't take me much more than 30-40 minutes all said and done. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

@EaglesPeteC I don’t want to replace to you. As Jlash said you are great and will be great for this league going forward. We need dedication. It takes a lot to be in this league but that’s why it’s my favorite. The time and effort it requires. It creates a love/hate at times but it has kept me sane for four years now (some of you may argue about my sanity). A lot in my life has changed over that time but this has really been a therapy for me regardless of how I spout off or have tried to quit (some of you know what I was going through) but this has been a blessing. I’d like to see you keep with it. 

I want to keep with it, but I just wanted to be real with you all with where I am at.

• Like 2