How I Fix the OL

WindyCity

One free agent that makes a ton of sense for the Bears would be Halapoulivaati Vaitai from Philadelphia

-20 Starts, including a Super Bowl
-Can play LT, RT, or RG
-Knows the system
-Adds some size and power [6'6" 320lbs]

Start him at RG
Draft an OG to Develop
2021 He moves to RT

• Like 1

Another free agent OLmen that makes sense with the budget is OT Dennis Kelly from Ten.

-31 career starts
-Starts at RT and LT
-Adds size [6'8" 320lbs]
-From Chicago
-Not super expensive

Kelly can come in and compete at RT and LT and backup if he does not win one of the competition. Gives the Bears a high end swing OT.

My 2020 OL

RT: Massie, Vaitai
RG: Vaitai, Draft Pick
C: Whitehair
LG: Daniels, Bars
LT: Leno/Dennis Kelly [Ten]

-Sign Hal Vaitai 4 years 32 million/19 guaranteed
-Sign Dennis Kelly 2 years 8 million/5 guaranteed
-Draft an OG in Round 4

My 2021 OL

RT: Vaitai
RG: 2020 Draft Pick/Bars/2021 FA
C: Whitehair
LG: Daniels
LT: Kelly/21 High Draft Pick

-Sign an OG to compete with the 2020 Draft Pick
-Draft a LT high in the draft

• Like 1

Average salaries would roughly match and then drop when the over priced OTs are gone.

Leno 9.25
Daniels 1.7
Whitehair 10.25
Long 10
Massie 7.7
Lucas 1
Larsen 1
Coward .680

Leno 9.25
Daniels 1.7
Whitehair 10.25
Vaitai 8
Massie 7.7
Kelly 4
4th .800
Bars .680

Kelly 4
Daniels 1.7
Whitehair 10.25
2020 4th .8
Vaitai 8
2021 2nd 1.7
Bars .680
FA OG 3

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

-Sign Hal Vaitai 4 years 32 million/19 guaranteed
-Sign Dennis Kelly 2 years 8 million/5 guaranteed

Nice work overall. I always appreciate thought out posts like these with detail.

I disagree with the choices though. And even more so the amount of money given to them.

Vaitai has 20 career starts in 6 years (5 starts/year) and has allowed 16 sacks. Only 4 penalties, but it should be lower given he has mostly played guard.

Kelly has  31 career starts in 7 years (4 starts/yr) and has allowed 16.5 sacks and 7 penalties. 

I don't think either of them are worth the time or money, imo.

I can't edit my post again for some strange reason. I hate this forum sometimes.

To fix the above

Vaitai has 20 career starts in 6 years (5/yr) and has allowed 16 sacks and 13 penalties
Kelly has 31 career starts in 7 years(4/yr) and has allowed 16.5 sacks and 10 penalties

By comparison, Leno has 78 career starts in 6 years (13/year) and has allowed 25 sacks and 42 penalties.

Sacks allowed is a tough stat to use to judge an OLmen if you don’t watch the games.

How many sacks this season were on Mitch?

It also doesn’t account for the fact that Leno gets the 4th most help of any OT in the league.

Or that Mitch spent the least amount of time with the ball in the pocket of any QB in the league.

We are not going to be able to sign clean players in free agency like Joe Thuney or Brandon Scherff.

Edited by WindyCity

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

@WindyCity...

What is your take if Trent Williams and/or Riley Rieff become available, for little, or no, draft capital? My opinion is that the Bears have to be all in, regardless of the 2020 cap hit.

Thoughts? 

Unless Washington releases Williams, he won't be acquired for "little to no" draft capital. He is easily a top 3 LT in football.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:36 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

I can't edit my post again for some strange reason. I hate this forum sometimes.

To fix the above

Vaitai has 20 career starts in 6 years (5/yr) and has allowed 16 sacks and 13 penalties
Kelly has 31 career starts in 7 years(4/yr) and has allowed 16.5 sacks and 10 penalties

By comparison, Leno has 78 career starts in 6 years (13/year) and has allowed 25 sacks and 42 penalties.

Agree. That's way too much for Vaitai.

57 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Unless Washington releases Williams, he won't be acquired for "little to no" draft capital. He is easily a top 3 LT in football.

Agree. That's way too much for Vaitai.

8/season is Bobbie Massie money and he is better than Massie.