Is Patrick Mahomes the new face of the NFL?

Danger

Patrick Mahomes is super popular around the league right now, and he's probably going to be front and center once Brady and Rodgers are done.  

Brady is just about washed up at this point.  Rodgers is getting there too, but still has multiple years ahead of him.  

From the defensive perspective,  Aaron Donald is kind of the face of the league in the same vein that Joe Greene was in the 1970s.  

He may not have popularity on the level of Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson, but there's a strong, general consensus that Donald is one of the most important players in football today. 

21 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think come next year Lamar and Mahomes will be the new Manning and Brady where both guys are the face of the NFL.

I have my concerns with Lamar Jackson.  

He's incredibly entertaining to watch play the game, but his years could be numbered due to his style of play.  

He's tough, he can take the big hits.  He gets enough of those, and he may come off of a major injury never being the same player again.  

That's definitely why Baltimore is trying to get him into the habit of passing the football more.  

Right now, yes. Not because he is the best player in the league, like you nerds think. But because he is very marketable and has a ton of hype behind him and is already in alot of commercials.

I really wonder if Mahomes 2018 season was nearly identical to his 2019 season, what would the book be out on him.

Queue smartass to reply with "well it wasnt so it doesn't matter". <--- if that is your reply, meet me at wrestlemania tough guy.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 6:34 PM, Dome said:

Derrick Henry is the new face of the NFL

I feel like people have just started to talk about Derrick Henry.  

Not that he isn't an awesome football player, because I'm a huge fan myself.  

But, I don't think his talent has been fully appreciated until now. 

6 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Right now, yes. Not because he is the best player in the league, like you nerds think. But because he is very marketable and has a ton of hype behind him and is already in alot of commercials.

I think what's obvious is his need for ketchup on the steak.

There's actually a lot of everyday people who like ketchup on steak, but because Mahomes does it, they're going to market that.  

53 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

I have my concerns with Lamar Jackson.  

He's incredibly entertaining to watch play the game, but his years could be numbered due to his style of play.  

He's tough, he can take the big hits.  He gets enough of those, and he may come off of a major injury never being the same player again.  

That's definitely why Baltimore is trying to get him into the habit of passing the football more.  

Yawn. We heard this all year. How many big hits did Lamar take all year? I can name maybe 3-5 all year long, and one of those was literally the run to break Vick's record. The 2nd biggest hit he took this year was a hit against the Bengals where he was standing the pocket and threw a TD pass.

This narrative that he takes big hits because he runs is so laughably false and rooted in stereotypes it's not even worth entertaining beyond this.

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yawn. We heard this all year. How many big hits did Lamar take all year? I can name maybe 3-5 all year long, and one of those was literally the run to break Vick's record. The 2nd biggest hit he took this year was a hit against the Bengals where he was standing the pocket and threw a TD pass.

This narrative that he takes big hits because he runs is so laughably false and rooted in stereotypes it's not even worth entertaining beyond this.

Hey, the more he runs, the more vulnerable he is.  

That's all I'm saying.  

Granted, Michael Vick had an injury like that and it didn't faze him. 

But, that doesn't mean it can't happen to Jackson either.  

24 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Hey, the more he runs, the more vulnerable he is.  

That's all I'm saying.  

Granted, Michael Vick had an injury like that and it didn't faze him. 

But, that doesn't mean it can't happen to Jackson either.  

It's about being smart. Pocket QB's with bad OL's get blind-sided all the damn time (see: Andrew Luck) and nobody says a word. Scrambling QB takes 1 hit while running and everyone's like "Yeah he's gonna get injured". Lamar is getting smarter about the hits he takes and how he slides/dives to avoid major contact.

It's a non-issue.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's about being smart. Pocket QB's with bad OL's get blind-sided all the damn time (see: Andrew Luck) and nobody says a word. Scrambling QB takes 1 hit while running and everyone's like "Yeah he's gonna get injured". Lamar is getting smarter about the hits he takes and how he slides/dives to avoid major contact.

It's a non-issue.

If I were him, I would just keep using the sidelines.  

I wouldn't even trust sliding with the chance for late hits.  

I have not been keeping up with the numbers but I am 99% sure that Mahomes is now the best statistical QB in NFL history through 34 combined starts.

This was pretty much true from games 3 through 34.

Yes, he is the face of the NFL.

And the face of the NFL really likes ketchup.

Edited by SkippyX