The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What are some good bets to make on the card tonight? Both in terms of winners and O/U rounds?

I love Godinez, Rodrigues/Vergara U2.5, Gatto ML, Roberts, Brown, Lauzon, OSP inside the distance, Carla, and the under 2.5 in the main. If you have the option for finish only (where a decision voids), I'd hammer Gatto. Good chance it sees the cards but if it ends early, it'll be Gatto the winner and if it goes to the cards, you get your money back, 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

If they knew the scale in the back was bad, why would they use it to gauge his weight again? If it said the exact same thing the 2nd time, it means he cut nothing. This makes no sense, my man. 

What's more reasonable to assume? That a man that's missed weight 4 times missed weight again because he and his team miscalculated the cut due to the muscle mass/body change or that the scale was so ****ed up that it couldn't calculate a half pound in an hour?

Yeah you're right on the first part, but the issue is that the scales clearly didn't match. That's a problem for the UFC. You can see Charles was really confused on his first attempt. 

For the second part, he never missed at 155 so I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. I just think it's odd that 18 fighters weighed in 0.5lb over the target weight. The only difference is that it didn't matter for the other fights. Should he have got an extra half pound or so off after the first attempt? Definitely, but you still have to feel for him weighing the right amount backstage and failing up front twice. 

1 minute ago, JonStark said:

Yeah you're right on the first part, but the issue is that the scales clearly didn't match. That's a problem for the UFC. You can see Charles was really confused on his first attempt. 

For the second part, he never missed at 155 so I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. I just think it's odd that 18 fighters weighed in 0.5lb over the target weight. The only difference is that it didn't matter for the other fights. Should he have got an extra half pound or so off after the first attempt? Definitely, but you still have to feel for him weighing the right amount backstage and failing up front twice. 

But it's really not hard to math, my man. That's my point with the second comment. If his team knew the scale was off, and nothing changed, why would you assume that the scale was right the 2nd time and go back out there officially? I mean, I want to see what comes of all this and find out the actual details but he's the only person that seemed to have a problem adjusting to the scale being off. Dumont is the only other fighter that missed weight and she's missed before as well albeit at 135 not 145. They were both the last to weigh in as well, which tells me that the weight cut was the issue more so than the scale. I know they've said why the scale was the issue but they both also took more time than the others to hit weight. So, sure, put some emphasis on the scale but that doesn't give Olives the full benefit of the doubt.

It sucks, for sure, but there's more to this than just the hotel scale being off.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

But it's really not hard to math, my man. That's my point with the second comment. If his team knew the scale was off, and nothing changed, why would you assume that the scale was right the 2nd time and go back out there officially? I mean, I want to see what comes of all this and find out the actual details but he's the only person that seemed to have a problem adjusting to the scale being off. Dumont is the only other fighter that missed weight and she's missed before as well albeit at 135 not 145. They were both the last to weigh in as well, which tells me that the weight cut was the issue more so than the scale. I know they've said why the scale was the issue but they both also took more time than the others to hit weight. So, sure, put some emphasis on the scale but that doesn't give Olives the full benefit of the doubt.

It sucks, for sure, but there's more to this than just the hotel scale being off.

I would imagine he ran out of time and had to try regardless of if the scale in the back said he had lost anything, right? 

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I would imagine he ran out of time and had to try regardless of if the scale in the back said he had lost anything, right? 

Perhaps but why did both the parties (Dumont and Olives) that missed weight weigh in last?

Just now, beekay414 said:

Perhaps but why did both the parties (Dumont and Olives) that missed weight weigh in last?

It would make sense that a scale that was marginally off (200g) would most affect the fighters who were cutting it closest (pun intended), I think?

But yep, I agree that maybe if we weren't in this stupid game of cutting 20+ lbs prior to fight night, we wouldn't be here.

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

It would make sense that a scale that was marginally off (200g) would most affect the fighters who were cutting it closest (pun intended), I think?

Sure, which would suggest that the cut for Olives wasn't as smooth as people are presenting it. LIS before, he changed and put muscle mass on and that easily could've effected his cut. The scale probably didn't help but, as I've said before, it doesn't absolve Olives of all blame.

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

But yep, I agree that maybe if we weren't in this stupid game of cutting 20+ lbs prior to fight night, we wouldn't be here.

I agree. It's the one thing that ONE Championship does right. Everybody fights at their natural weight classes.

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The man has missed weight 5 times. He doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. None of the other title fighters missed weight due to the scale. Knowing his issues with weight cuts, his team should've known better than to change up what they were doing. He had no reason to add muscle mass for this fight. He wasn't going up a weight class nor was he fighting a huge lightweight. Why put on muscle mass for Gaethje but think you're fine for Poirier, who is the larger 155er?

The fact that he never missed weight before at his natural weight class and the fact that you're acting like he's Yoel Romero or Rumble Johnson missing by 15 lbs is comical  

This fight happens in Vegas or Texas or Florida and I guarantee you there wouldn't have been a problem. 

18 fighters were at the .5 mark. 

3 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

The fact that he never missed weight before at his natural weight class and the fact that you're acting like he's Yoel Romero or Rumble Johnson missing by 15 lbs is comical  

I'm not acting like anything, my guy. It's not my fault that's how you're interpreting legitimate conversation. 

4 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

18 fighters were at the .5 mark.

And yet only two missed their marks.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

I'm not acting like anything, my guy. It's not my fault that's how you're interpreting legitimate conversation. 

And yet only two missed their marks.

Didn't know there was another way to interpret him missing weight in a class he had no business competing in. It's just stupid to keep bringing it up

on the Olives scandal, it does sound like the scale was a little dodgy, and it sucks for him that he's gonna lose a lot of money because of 0.5 pounds.

BUT. I feel like we see the top champions today often come in a little below the weight limit. Volk, Usman for example. and that's for a reason. When you're champion, you can't leave it so close, where some buggery with the scale can cause you to be over.

He should be aiming to get to 154.5 (or 154) with his cut, not 155. leaves a bit of room for error or scale mishaps. the 0.5 extra he gets from weighing in at 155 on the dot is not worth the extra risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Didn't know there was another way to interpret him missing weight in a class he had no business competing in. It's just stupid to keep bringing it up

It means him and his team have questionable ability to weight cut when they make changes to his camp. That's relevant as he added muscle mass. This isn't hard to figure out.

I get that Olives is your dude but he missed weight and 24 other fighters didn't.

but honestly all that Olives' weight miss changes is his purse. going forward, I don't think it changes anything for the division. Gaethje wins, he's champ. Olives wins, he fights the top contender (or Conor) for the belt, the same as he would if he was still champ.

only difference is to his paycheck.

I guess it does give slight leeway for Dana to pass him up for Conor, even if Olives wins. but that would mean doing Conor vs Islam, and they don't want that. Olives vs Conor is a much more exciting fight, and more winnable for Conor.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Oh there's definitely more to it than just the scale and he should have been able to go farther than needed to lock it down, but the scale was definitely apart of it and that's unacceptable from a UFC standpoint. 

• Like 2

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303