The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

9 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’m not the biggest UFC guy. What chances do you guys give Justin this weekend?

decent, idt he is gonna stop the takedowns more than most guys but khabib in pretty much every fight stands up a decent amount to preserve energy, most dudes are also super tired at that point tho lol and focused on stopping the TDs instead of striking. if justin can go zombie mode per usual and stay aggressive striking he has a good shot 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

If Cannonier loses, Ariel saying ufc would probably book Izzy-Jan Blachowicz over Izzy-Whittaker 2. Interesting.

If he's going up to 205 he should fight Jon Jones. It's the biggest fight they can possible do outside of Khabib/Conor 2. And if they do that fight it gives someone time to earn a true #1 contender spot at MW and doesn't hold up the middle weight or light heavyweight division. Because if Izzy does fight and beat Jan, what happens after that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

i think it will also be pretty bad for justin if khabib gets on top (and he's not able to scramble out quickly,) doubt justin has high level bjj. if i were to bet on it I would bet khabib via submission 

I'm rooting for Gathje to win but if I had to bet I'd say Khabib wears him out and then submits him in the 4th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If he's going up to 205 he should fight Jon Jones. It's the biggest fight they can possible do outside of Khabib/Conor 2. And if they do that fight it gives someone time to earn a true #1 contender spot at MW and doesn't hold up the middle weight or light heavyweight division. Because if Izzy does fight and beat Jan, what happens after that? 

Agreed but it's clear Izzy's coach, Eugene, won't let him or doesn't think he's ready for Jones yet.

I think Justin is a "live dog" as they say in the betting world.  lol

It may appear that his only path to victory would be a KO, but I think if he strings together some rounds where he keeps it standing (for the most part) he could get a decision.

I just think the more likely scenario is that Khabib either submits him, or keeps him on the mat for the majority of the fight, and wins a decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

I think Justin is a "live dog" as they say in the betting world.  lol

It may appear that his only path to victory would be a KO, but I think if he strings together some rounds where he keeps it standing (for the most part) he could get a decision.

I just think the more likely scenario is that Khabib either submits him, or keeps him on the mat for the majority of the fight, and wins a decision.

I don't see any way he wins a decision. If it goes 25 min, it won't be because they are on their feet.

Then again, I would've bet my life on Stipe/DC not going to a decision in the smaller octagon, so who really knows. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I don't see any way he wins a decision. If it goes 25 min, it won't be because they are on their feet.

Then again, I would've bet my life on Stipe/DC not going to a decision in the smaller octagon, so who really knows. 

I don't see it as a LIKELY scenario, but I think it's possible.  Remember that Connor was able to win a round against Khabib on their feet?  Connor was so worn out, however, that his punches didn't have the same "pop"  It could potentially happen again, but I do agree that a decision isn't the likely way that Justin could win.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Khabib can say what he wants but at the end of the day money talks. Especially if he's looking to retire soon, a Conor rematch would be a HUGE payday to end his career on and might even be equal to or more than his total career earnings combined. 

Money talks but he's not exactly controlled by the almighty dollar the way alot of people are

• Like 1