The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Right? That division needed this fight to happen so badly since everyone else is staying put or hurt.

Credit to Leon and Belal for taking the fight but crap this sucks. There is no clear cut #1 contender for Usman

They should give Leon Edwards the title shot and let Colby/Masvidal be the coaches on TUF then fight after the show for the #1 contender spot. Colby/Jorge as the coaches would make for great TV and it's a fight that the fans want to see. 

Unfortunate for Leon because that would've been his 9th straight win and made him 11-1 in his last 12 fights with his only loss in that span coming against Usman. 

But it looks like they're going to do Masvidal/Usman as the coaches on TUF and the rematch around August/September. They should schedule Colby/Edwards as the co-main event or as a main event on a fight night card around the same time. 

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not surprised at all by Khabib bc he is lowkey loving the drama

If Conor wins the rematch with Poirier I fully expect them to book the rematch in the fall/early winter. I honestly think the UFC was banking on Conor winning so they could do Conor/Khabib as the coaches for TUF's first season on ESPN. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

They should give Leon Edwards the title shot and let Colby/Masvidal be the coaches on TUF then fight after the show for the #1 contender spot. Colby/Jorge as the coaches would make for great TV and it's a fight that the fans want to see. 

Unfortunate for Leon because that would've been his 9th straight win and made him 11-1 in his last 12 fights with his only loss in that span coming against Usman. 

But it looks like they're going to do Masvidal/Usman as the coaches on TUF and the rematch around August/September. They should schedule Colby/Edwards as the co-main event or as a main event on a fight night card around the same time. 

No, Edwards should not be given a title shot. Sure he looked excellent the first round but it’s a 5 round fight and belals path to victory was wrestling and pushing a pace, meaning if he were to win itd be in the later rounds. Edwards can fight Colby or wonderboy he already dodged, personally I’d like to see him fight wonderboy. Colby I think just works him over, should be entertaining with Thompson.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They should schedule Colby/Leon assuming neither is fighting Usman but idk if Colby would take it

If Conor wins the rematch with Poirier I fully expect them to book the rematch in the fall/early winter. I honestly think the UFC was banking on Conor winning so they could do Conor/Khabib as the coaches for TUF's first season on ESPN. 

Yea the UFC was definitely planning all of that. Conor losing hurt them a ton

20 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

No, Edwards should not be given a title shot. Sure he looked excellent the first round but it’s a 5 round fight and belals path to victory was wrestling and pushing a pace, meaning if he were to win itd be in the later rounds. Edwards can fight Colby or wonderboy he already dodged, personally I’d like to see him fight wonderboy. Colby I think just works him over, should be entertaining with Thompson.

Edwards vs Wonderboy would be fun. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

They should schedule Colby/Leon assuming neither is fighting Usman but idk if Colby would take it

I'm pretty sure Masvidal/Usman 2 is already done. Seems like they're just finalizing the details for TUF and the date. But I agree, I think Colby will probably just sit out and try to fight the winner of Masvidal/Usman. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I'm pretty sure Masvidal/Usman 2 is already done. Seems like they're just finalizing the details for TUF and the date. But I agree, I think Colby will probably just sit out and try to fight the winner of Masvidal/Usman. 

People don’t like the guy but he’s clearly 1b behind usmans 1a. He’s just too good, and for anyone that’s not truly at an elite level of fighting, he’s going to overwhelm them. Burns is an interesting problem because you don’t want to take him down, but masvidal, Edwards, wonderboy, etc just aren’t the same as usman and Colby.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

People don’t like the guy but he’s clearly 1b behind usmans 1a. He’s just too good, and for anyone that’s not truly at an elite level of fighting, he’s going to overwhelm them. Burns is an interesting problem because you don’t want to take him down, but masvidal, Edwards, wonderboy, etc just aren’t the same as usman and Colby.

I agree, Colby is very good and definitely is the #1 contender but Dana doesn't care about the rankings or the integrity of the sport. Especially without revenue from ticket sales, he's just trying to book whichever fights are going to sell the most PPV. With the UFC bringing TUF back for its 1st season on ESPN they need some star power in terms of the coaches. The plan was obviously Conor/Khabib but that fell through so they're going to let Masvidal get another title shot because he's the only marquee name on the roster that can sell 1M+ PPV and actually draw in casual fan interest. 

I think Covington/Masvidal would've made for a great season of TUF as former training partners/room mates. The banter throughout the season would've been fun because both guys love to talk and understand the value of promotion. 

They should've booked Masvidal/Covington but I don't think Jorge wants anything to do with that fight. He'd probably lose in a similar fashion to how he lost to Usman and wants to capitalize on his star power/PPV points while he can. 

I agree, Colby is very good and definitely is the #1 contender but Dana doesn't care about the rankings or the integrity of the sport. Especially without revenue from ticket sales, he's just trying to book whichever fights are going to sell the most PPV. With the UFC bringing TUF back for its 1st season on ESPN they need some star power in terms of the coaches. The plan was obviously Conor/Khabib but that fell through so they're going to let Masvidal get another title shot because he's the only marquee name on the roster that can sell 1M+ PPV and actually draw in casual fan interest. 

I think Covington/Masvidal would've made for a great season of TUF as former training partners/room mates. The banter throughout the season would've been fun because both guys love to talk and understand the value of promotion. 

They should've booked Masvidal/Covington but I don't think Jorge wants anything to do with that fight. He'd probably lose in a similar fashion to how he lost to Usman and wants to capitalize on his star power/PPV points while he can. 

Exactly. The UFC cares about money more than who deserves

No one likes Colbys shtick but he is obviously 1b