The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

this just isnt true though. Its just not. And please explain what you mean by "change attacking position".... curious to see what you mean by that. I hope its not stance switches or something,

No I mean attempts, granted mostly faints, to change up where he was swinging from. Trying to give him something he didn't see to find out how Romero would react and then exploit.

Just now, mse326 said:

No I mean attempts, granted mostly faints, to change up where he was swinging from. Trying to give him something he didn't see to find out how Romero would react and then exploit.

he didnt exploit though, so what are you talking about. him throwing punches that he had no intention of landing? this is just silly once again.

no, but blitzing in is. And like i said, he didnt do it much but when he did izzy ran. He had no interest in any kind of engagement, just circle and leg kick. You didnt even dispute that.

He only blitzed like 2 or 3 times going for a takedown, not striking, and didn't get any of them

Dispute what. The interest in engagement I did dispute. Leg kicking no that is definitely how he was ultimately attacking. But I don't see that as the negative you do.

he didnt exploit though, so what are you talking about. him throwing punches that he had no intention of landing? this is just silly once again.

He didn't because Romero didn't do anything to exploit, which I gave him credit for. But he was trying to do something to open it up. Romero wasn't. That is what I was talking about, not that there was a bunch of punches thrown, but that he was at least doing stuff to try to open it up and attack.

12 minutes ago, mse326 said:

pretty sure leg kicks matter. Yoel had zero initiation at all.

every single time someone threw a strike going forward it was yoel blitzing him. literally the only thing izzy did the entire fight was leg kick from a safe distance. 

Just now, mse326 said:

He only blitzed like 2 or 3 times going for a takedown, not striking, and didn't get any of them

Dispute what. The interest in engagement I did dispute. Leg kicking no that is definitely how he was ultimately attacking. But I don't see that as the negative you do.

cool story, its wrong once again as he did blitz with punches as well. you complained that yoel didnt engage but we knew where he was, he was mostly stationary. Izzy was circling and running the entire fight, how someone could blame yoel for that is crazy.

3 minutes ago, mse326 said:

He didn't because Romero didn't do anything to exploit, which I gave him credit for. But he was trying to do something to open it up. Romero wasn't. That is what I was talking about, not that there was a bunch of punches thrown, but that he was at least doing stuff to try to open it up and attack.

this makes so little sense that im done. 

Obviously a disappointing fight from a fan's perspective, but smart from Adesanya. We all know how Romero fights - he does nothing (sometimes literally nothing, not even moving) for minutes at a time, and then explodes. He relies on doing damage in those explosions to either hurt the other guy and finish him, or do enough damage to win the round. Otherwise he's conceding the round to his opponent.

Adesanya just had to keep landing a little and then avoid the blitzes and he wins, and that's what he did. Sure people want to see a war like Whittaker had, but that's not a smart way to fight Yoel and win. Adesanya pretty clearly won, even if it wasn't exciting.

People are going to rip on Adesanya for inactivity, but if you're going to do that you've got to put burden on Yoel to make something happen too. He was significantly less active in this fight. It seems to be in these counter striker vs counter striker matchups, fans have a drastically different perspective on what the champion has to do vs the challenger. Case in point, this fight, Woodley vs Wonderboy, Nunes vs Schevchenko.

• Like 1

good fight, master gameplan from yoel (facing the better striker). 

I think he was just a victim ( too strong of a word but whatever) of circumstances. too little inactivity R1 and R2 for people to give him both rounds prop, even tho I think he for sure won both. if a ref gave izzy r5 that would be crazy imo so it had to be 2,3,4 to izzy. which is fine lol

Phenomenal fight in the co-main though. Truly one of the best fights of all time, yet another great showcase for the strawweight division.

Honestly could have gone either way and I wouldn't argue, but I had it for Weili by a hair. Interested to see now if they make a rematch of this one, or she fights the winner of Rose/Andrade next.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buckrock101 said:

Adesanya pretty clearly won, even if it wasn't exciting

I'm pretty sure him getting boo'd and Yoel getting cheered says people think yoel won

also almost everyone I saw on twitter had it 2-2 going into the 5th and that was easily the most decisive round imo (obvi in favor of yoel)

I'm out now tho lol

I don't think it was a robbery lol

Edited by 11sanchez11