The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

I had a crazy idea in my head on the way to pick up my kid from school - 

Assuming there is no Conor, Brock, Ronda megastar type fight who could realistically headline 300...

I don't think Alex Pereira has enough star power to carry 300 by himself. He needs a dance partner like an Izzy or maybe an Aspinall, but that's undeserved.

Same problem trying to sneak Izzy into the main. Not really deserved at 205 and even at 185, DDP is not really the megastar dance partner you want, despite the little rivalry.

Almost every 'deserved' fight they have is intriguing, but not really enough star power match to carry 300.

---------------------------------

So, my thought is - 

What about Izzy vs Khamzat for an INAUGURAL 175 title?

Then co-main it with Belal vs Leon at 165?

You get the star power matchup you want. You get a legit belt on the line. You get another belt and division to spread more title fights around the year. You get more Champ vs Champ possibilities. You get to get Belal vs Leon done in a big spot without having to feature them. 

I know Dana has said he would never split the WW division but [insert video of Dana talking about WMMA never coming to UFC].

-------------------------------------

idk just rando thoughts

Edited by Soggust

12 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Assuming there is no Conor, Brock, Ronda megastar type fight who could realistically headline 300...

I don't think Alex Pereira has enough star power to carry 300 by himself. He needs a dance partner like an Izzy or maybe an Aspinall, but that's undeserved.

Same problem trying to sneak Izzy into the main. Not really deserved at 205 and even at 185, DDP is not really the megastar dance partner you want, despite the little rivalry.

Almost every 'deserved' fight they have is intriguing, but not really enough star power match to carry 300.

So, my thought is - 

You get the star power matchup you want. You get a legit belt on the line. You get another belt and division to spread more title fights around the year. You get more Champ vs Champ possibilities. You get to get Belal vs Leon done in a big spot without having to feature them. 

I know Dana has said he would never split the WW division but [insert video of Dana talking about WMMA never coming to UFC].

idk just rando thoughts

nvm i typed all this bs then I realized afterwards that, even though I think Izzy + Khamzat could make 175, I don't think the UFC would be willing to bank 300 on Khamzat making championship weight.

But I do think splitting the division could be an ace up their sleeve that opens up some possibilities.

8 hours ago, Soggust said:

So, my thought is - 

idk just rando thoughts

I'm all for a new belt being added even if it waters things down. With that said, why would Leon/Belal be anywhere but 170?

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm all for a new belt being added even if it waters things down. With that said, why would Leon/Belal be anywhere but 170?

Because if you make a 175 belt you have to have 165 instead of 170 (although arguably Leon and/or Belal might prefer 175 to 165, but I'm trying to make Izzy Khamzat for a belt so I was moving them down).

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Because if you make a 175 belt you have to have 165 instead of 170 (although arguably Leon and/or Belal might prefer 175 to 165, but I'm trying to make Izzy Khamzat for a belt so I was moving them down).

True, although like you said will they risk Chimaev missing weight again?

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

True, although like you said will they risk Chimaev missing weight again?

Probably not. But literally right on queue I just saw this on reddit and it was posted 3 hours ago lol

THIS READS AS SPECULATION TO ME NOT CONFIRMED JUST FYI TO FUTURE READERS

but still lol that people thinking same as me

6 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Would be so typical for the UFC to create a new weight division and give it to Conor. Would be super interesting to see who would go to 165. 

It would probably be the most meme worthy thing they've ever done, and they put James Toney against Randy Couture. 

Be hilarious if they gave it to Conor and the fight was his first defense.