The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

What do we make of the WW picture now? Top guys left without a dance partner are Colby-Burns-Thompson-Luque-Chiesa

Colby isnt fighting anyone but maybe Burns or Thompson and even that he might just sit

Burns v Colby would be sweet

Thompson need a fight and not another up and comer

Luque just fought and did get clipped although nothing too major I think, he wouldnt fight Wonderboy again that makes no sense for Stephen.

Chiesa would gladly fight anyone

7 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What do we make of the WW picture now? Top guys left without a dance partner are Colby-Burns-Thompson-Luque-Chiesa

Colby isnt fighting anyone but maybe Burns or Thompson and even that he might just sit

Burns v Colby would be sweet

Thompson need a fight and not another up and comer

Luque just fought and did get clipped although nothing too major I think, he wouldnt fight Wonderboy again that makes no sense for Stephen.

Chiesa would gladly fight anyone

first and foremost, i hate the edwards/diaz fight. Diaz is nothing more than a big name, hes 5-5 in his last 10 fights and that goes back all the way to 2012, hes not a top 5 ww, he may not even be top 10. WHat bothers me most is edwards ducked wonderboy and gave the excuse he needs to win a fight first and it didnt make any "sense". Now the much easier fight with a far sketchier record is okie dokie?

Luque and Chiesa is interesting but im not sure they make that, that just derails one of the two upcoming title contenders. What I think happens is colby sits and fights usman next, Luque sits and maybe fights Masvidal assuming Usman does what he should do and Wonderboy/Burns for a title shot eliminator. Chiesa gets left out in the cold in this scenario though.

Jon Jones wants more than 10 mil guaranteed to fight Ngannu if im understanding correctly. Conversely, jon jones top PPV buy ranks 26th(?) all time for the ufc. I dont think Jon is scared to fight Francis, i just think hes delusional to his worth. People dont like him, but not enough so they want to see him lose, hence why he doesnt sell well. Hes not even the A side of a=the potential Francis fight....

14 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

first and foremost, i hate the edwards/diaz fight. Diaz is nothing more than a big name, hes 5-5 in his last 10 fights and that goes back all the way to 2012, hes not a top 5 ww, he may not even be top 10. WHat bothers me most is edwards ducked wonderboy and gave the excuse he needs to win a fight first and it didnt make any "sense". Now the much easier fight with a far sketchier record is okie dokie?

Luque and Chiesa is interesting but im not sure they make that, that just derails one of the two upcoming title contenders. What I think happens is colby sits and fights usman next, Luque sits and maybe fights Masvidal assuming Usman does what he should do and Wonderboy/Burns for a title shot eliminator. Chiesa gets left out in the cold in this scenario though.

Agreed 100% on both fronts. Leon takes the Diaz fight after he took the Belal fight but wont take on Wonderboy? Idk if Wonderboy is recovering, I thought maybe he got hurt in the Neal fight but its not a good look

And agreed, Chiesa and Luque are hot shouldn't be put against each other since there are semi-fresh faces towards the top. Feed them to Colby/Burns and see what happens

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 6:23 PM, GSUeagles14 said:

Jon Jones wants more than 10 mil guaranteed to fight Ngannu if im understanding correctly. Conversely, jon jones top PPV buy ranks 26th(?) all time for the ufc. I dont think Jon is scared to fight Francis, i just think hes delusional to his worth. People dont like him, but not enough so they want to see him lose, hence why he doesnt sell well. Hes not even the A side of a=the potential Francis fight....

There have only been 8 fighters in UFC history to secure $1M+ guaranteed purses: Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey, Nate Diaz, Khabib, GSP, Brock Lesnar, Stipe, and DC. 

The UFC knows that Francis has the potential to be a 1M+ PPV fighter regardless of his opponent because of how he has been running through guys as of late. Francis as the HW champion is also great for business because it helps the UFC's expansion into the African market. 

Jones getting a guaranteed $8-10M purse would be the largest of all time. When his last 3 fights have been snooze fest's where he barely did enough to beat pretty average competition. 

Of all of Francis' potential opponents Jones is probably the one with the best chance to beat him because of his grappling and cardio. And if Jones does beat him it's bad for business as he's not likely to be active at HW and doesn't have a ton of drawing power. 

Edited by NYRaider

On 3/31/2021 at 10:54 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Colby likely just sits and then gets the winner of Usman/Masvidal because it'll be a big fight either way. The first Usman fight was one of the best WW title fights in history, they have bad blood, and they'll both actually sell the fight. And if Masvidal wins a Colby fight would be huge as well because it'd solidify Masvidal's star status, they have a great back story, and they'll both sell the fight. 

Masivdal/Colby pressers leading up to the fight would be top tier banter.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, Big Snack said:

Kevin Holland says he has agreed to step in. Just waiting on vetori. If he makes that walk it'll be 7 times in the last 11 months.  Horrible match up imo but the boy likes to scrap.

It appears that this fight is now official.  Standing?  It will be a war....if Vettori takes it to the ground?  Holland will be in trouble!

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303