The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

2 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

This what I'm waiting for, getting Gane at the best #

I've been chest-out, bass in my voice sure that Bones winning this fight but man I'm not going to lie - Jones looks pretty bad at HW physically imo.

I'm a lot less confident today than I was yesterday. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I've been chest-out, bass in my voice sure that Bones winning this fight but man I'm not going to lie - Jones looks pretty bad at HW physically imo.

If Jones gets it to the mat (and he should) It's a rap.........  If this fight remains standing....I think Gane wins easily!!!!

8 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

If Jones gets it to the mat (and he should) It's a rap.........  If this fight remains standing....I think Gane wins easily!!!!

Idk why, but I don't think we are gonna get the D1 Jones that some other folks are suspecting.

If the takedown is there, I obviously think he takes it, but I don't think he's going to turn into Islam or anything for a few reasons.

1. I think Jones is arrogant enough that he wants to beat people at their best skillset. He stood with everyone he's fought that I can remember and occasionally makes a point to beat people at their game (e.g. - wrestling DC).
  2. I think Gane is good at range, don't get me wrong, but I think Jones is as well. Jon got tagged by some faster strikers at LHW, but he's always had a good chin and I don't think Gane has the Derrick Lewis type power he needs to be constantly afraid of. Otherwise, this has basically always been his game. 
  3. He's bulked up and going to be in a 5 round fight with a heavyweight. He's simply not going to have the stamina to spam takedowns for 25 mins. He's going to have to be selective.
  4. Gane's movement will be a problem to catch him a place where can grab a leg. 

Jones will have to stand with Gane for some period of time imo.

I don't know that I agree Gane has the striking edge technically (which is where my hesitation has always been), but I do think we will find out tomorrow for sure. 

Edited by Soggust

4 hours ago, Soggust said:

Yea id be lying if i said i wasnt worried after seeing him on the scale

5 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

People are really underrating Gane's ground game based off of one fight that he lost 48-47 against the best HW in the world. When you have to worry about Francis' power, the takedowns come much easier, especially when you're not expecting it. 

Obviously Jones is better in that aspect, but anything thinking that it's over the second it hits the ground is crazy. I think Gane sub at +1600 is absolutely worth a sprinkle. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Soggust said:

I think Jones is arrogant enough that he wants to beat people at their best skillset. He stood with everyone he's fought that I can remember and occasionally makes a point to beat people at their game (e.g. - wrestling DC).

I do believe this....but I think he will wise up, and attempt the takedown before he sees he is outclassed on the feet (and I truly believe this...maybe I'm wrong)

I think Gane is good at range, don't get me wrong, but I think Jones is as well. Jon got tagged by some faster strikers at LHW, but he's always had a good chin and I don't think Gane has the Derrick Lewis type power he needs to be constantly afraid of. Otherwise, this has basically always been his game. 

I don't believe Jones will move as well at Hvy, and I don't think he has seen a striker on par with Gane (ever)..

He's bulked up and going to be in a 5 round fight with a heavyweight. He's simply not going to have the stamina to spam takedowns for 25 mins. He's going to have to be selective.

Yep...basically agreeing with you above...the weight is actually going to be a problem...not help imo.

Gane's movement will be a problem to catch him a place where can grab a leg. 

Yes....movement will definitely be a problem!

I don't know that I agree Gane has the striking edge technically (which is where my hesitation has always been), but I do think we will find out tomorrow for sure. 

This is where I disagree...I believe the edge will be clear cut.  Even Jones at his best at LHW would be slightly less of a strike than Gane.  A bulked up (i am guessing slower) version of Jones, who hasn't fought in 3 years will really be at a disadvantage.  Now watch Jones outstrike him, and prove me wrong...lol

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

This is where I disagree...I believe the edge will be clear cut.  Even Jones at his best at LHW would be slightly less of a strike than Gane.  A bulked up (i am guessing slower) version of Jones, who hasn't fought in 3 years will really be at a disadvantage.  Now watch Jones outstrike him, and prove me wrong...lol

I am having a really hard time defending my Jones take because of this. 

As far as striking, you might be right about prime for prime (don't think I agree, but it's not offensive take).

I am, however, starting to feel you are DEFINITELY right in the fight tonight. I am having a harder and harder time seeing Jones just outpointing him on the feet given his size/shape.

I don't want to say I've come full circle to Gane's side, but I am not happy about betting on Jones atm (I had to take the FanDuel boost bc im a degen lol). 

He looks awful. Like, I would have felt better if he had come in smaller at 235 but more cut. 

I'm really pumped for tonight. Best card of the year so far easily.

Jon Jones vs. Ciryl Gane
Valentina Shevchenko (c) vs. Alexa Grasso
Geoff Neal vs. Shavkat Rakhmonov
Mateusz Gamrot vs. Jalin Turner
Bo Nickal vs. Jamie Pickett

Scared on Jones. I am picking Valentina, but this actually reeks of an upset. I'm not confident enough to bet it, but this is like the perfect sleeper "omg wtf" moment. Shavkat easily, imo, given the weight cut of Neal. I think Gamrot steamrolls Turner who I think will be too willing to play BJJ vs avoiding a TD at all costs. Nickal runs through Pickett who is tailor-made for him, imo.

Cody Garbrandt vs. Trevin Jones
Derek Brunson vs. Dricus du Plessis
Viviane Araújo vs. Amanda Ribas
Julian Marquez vs. Marc-André Barriault

No love gets back to form against a guy whos on a 3 loss skid. Brunson over DDP is my sleeper upset of the night. I think DDP will have problems with the wrestling of Brunson. Ribas/Vivi is a toss up, so I'll give it to my girl Amanda bc shes too likeable to not cheer for. Marquez is a local guy so I'm gonna cheer for him, but honestly I think MAB wins via a boring decision, unfortunately.

Ian Garry vs. Song Kenan
Cameron Saaiman vs. Leomana Martinez
Jessica Penne vs. Tabatha Ricci
Da’Mon Blackshear vs. Farid Basharat

Esteban Ribovics vs. Loik Radzhabov

Only really familiar with Garry, Martinez, Penne, and Blackshear so just riding favs.

Edited by Soggust

you guys are overreacting to how he looked on the scale. At least half of the heavyweights look way worse than he does. 

Gane being as cut as Francis or Gane is an anomaly. And it's not like he had a beer gut. He put on mass. He's not cutting certain liquids out of his diet to look shredded. 

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303