The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

If Pereira does go to 205, what's next for Izzy? Bobby Knuckles 3? Du Plessis? Khamzat? Does Jan go to 185?

Can Jan make 185? Chimaev can’t possibly be next right? He has to fight someone good at MW after his WW weight miss debacle. Probably is Knuckles 3 unfortunately. DDP needs to win another

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

It's reasons like that why I feel as though mma is the easiest sport to gamble on. Because most of the time the odds makers are dumb

In theory its smart though right? I mean the public backs the fighter who won his last fight and the sharps back the better fighter. Books manage risk and clean up on the vig

12 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I mean you cant blame him. No amount of mental toughness can realistically leave no doubt when you’re down 3-0, 2 of which by stoppage

Oh I 100% understand…was just noticing the celebration was a lot more of just straight raw emotion than anything else

Was watching some GSP highlights earlier and while it’s crazy to say, it’s really not that crazy to say, that he was one of the best wrestlers mma has ever seen. 

He’s one of the few all-time greats from years back that I can see competing and beating the top guys today. Dude was just unbelievably well rounded. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 7:32 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Can Jan make 185? Chimaev can’t possibly be next right? He has to fight someone good at MW after his WW weight miss debacle. Probably is Knuckles 3 unfortunately. DDP needs to win another

Problem here is you are operating based on logic and merit. I've finally come to accept the UFC is not a real sports organization based upon the Belal snubbing. When you look through that lens, the picture becomes much clearer, imo.

DDP has 100k insta followers. For context, Belal has 300k and Chimaev has 5.1m.

DDP is no where near a title shot and Khamzat is the clear fight to make imo.

9 hours ago, Soggust said:

Problem here is you are operating based on logic and merit. I've finally come to accept the UFC is not a real sports organization based upon the Belal snubbing. When you look through that lens, the picture becomes much clearer, imo.

DDP has 100k insta followers. For context, Belal has 300k and Chimaev has 5.1m.

DDP is no where near a title shot and Khamzat is the clear fight to make imo.

I understand they dont always operate under logic and merit but if you just assume crazy things will happen every time then you'll be wrong more often than not lol

Chimaev very well might be next but it is interesting given what we know about how the UFC operates with fighters missing weight, it wouldnt surprise me if Chimaev has to fight 1 MW before the champ

Now the Belal stuff I get to a point, he isnt particularly exciting but Belal has checked alot of other boxes though by being active and now he is running his mouth. 

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I understand they dont always operate under logic and merit but if you just assume crazy things will happen every time then you'll be wrong more often than not lol

Chimaev very well might be next but it is interesting given what we know about how the UFC operates with fighters missing weight, it wouldnt surprise me if Chimaev has to fight 1 MW before the champ

Now the Belal stuff I get to a point, he isnt particularly exciting but Belal has checked alot of other boxes though by being active and now he is running his mouth. 

I don't know that it's that crazy right? I mean the trilogy seems like the obvious fight to make at MW, but assuming for purposes of discussion that Alex is moving up or the UFC doesn't want that fight....

What else is there besides Khamzat? Rob III? DDP?

I would bet every dollar I have that the UFC pushes for a Chimaev fight over both of them for the reasons I mentioned. Now, if there was a hot undefeated contender with a great resume, I 100% think you would be right. On paper, Chimaev needs a big win at 185, no argument from me. But given the barren landscape and his popularity comparably, I would be absolutely stunned if the UFC didn't play up the Burns win and sell Khamzat vs Izzy as the ultimate Wrestler vs Striker style matchup. 

edit - in hindsight i dont like my framing of "playing up the Burns win". That's a very solid, legitimate win that absolutely deserves a title shot at 170. I don't know that it's enough to warrant a shot at the weight class above, which is how i meant this, but Burns is obviously a good win in general.

Edited by Soggust

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303