The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

On 9/2/2023 at 11:00 AM, JonStark said:

I think he knows what he's doing by having his two HW fights be a kickboxer like Gane and a 41 year old Stipe who hasn't fought in 2.5 years. He can say he was 2-0 after moving up to HW and have a claim on the GOAT status forever without really facing someone that poses a big threat to him. Gane and Stipe obviously both can pull off an upset, but it's smart matchmaking on his part. 

The sad truth is the talent at LHW and HW sucks and has almost always sucked. The technique/skill and quality gap between those classes and others is astronomic. Which is why you see fighters maintain 'world class' form into their late 30s and even 40s in some cases. It's a sh*t show. 

I do agree that Jones' move up in weight comes off as opportunistic though, similar to GSP poaching the MW belt off Bisping, and that he likely avoided the more serious challenges he would've encountered 7-8 years ago.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The sad truth is the talent at LHW and HW sucks and has almost always sucked. The technique/skill and quality gap between those classes and others is astronomic. Which is why you see fighters maintain 'world class' form into their late 30s and even 40s in some cases. It's a sh*t show. 

I do agree that Jones' move up in weight comes off as opportunistic though, similar to GSP poaching the MW belt off Bisping, and that he likely avoided the more serious challenges he would've encountered 7-8 years ago.

Idk i think HW and LHW has been better now than it has been in years. For the longest time it was: DC/Stipe/Ngannou and that was it and then it was DC/Bones/Rumble/Gusty at 205

21 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Idk i think HW and LHW has been better now than it has been in years. For the longest time it was: DC/Stipe/Ngannou and that was it and then it was DC/Bones/Rumble/Gusty at 205

Yea I think there's some decent names currently, my point was more about comparing the general talent gap between those higher weight classes and the demon filled divisions like 145 or 155. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yea I think there's some decent names currently, my point was more about comparing the general talent gap between those higher weight classes and the demon filled divisions like 145 or 155. 

The heavier weight classes definitely arent as deep but the higher you go the easier it is to finish the fight with 1 punch right? so I mean that has to be taken into account too

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 5:31 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

The heavier weight classes definitely arent as deep but the higher you go the easier it is to finish the fight with 1 punch right? so I mean that has to be taken into account too

I totally agree with this. 

I can't think of a great analogy offhand, but it seems to me kind of like NBA vs WNBA. In the NBA, you don't have to be quite as skilled shooting, because a 6'9 260 5%bf guy whos driving down the lane and slamming it in the net is just as damn good lol.

Now before you crucify me - no I'm not saying there are better shooters in the WNBA, just making an awful analogy about how strategies can often change when size/strength is involved. I don't think bouncing around and playing the point-fighting game is quite as effective when you are facing Ngannou deathtouch power.

But with all that being said, I do still agree there is a talent gap from the lower to higher divisions. I just don't agree its quite as astronomical as others, I guess.