The MMA Thread | Jones-Miocic officially set for UFC 309 at MSG in November

beekay414

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Ok so i like Rountree i do…and its not like im an Ankalaev stan but seriously how is he not fighting Alex next if he wins

i know he has a fight lined up but that never should’ve happened either

Yeah everyone saying "well Ank already has a fight booked" are just conveniently leaving out that that fight never should've been made. He should be fighting for the title, but they want to milk this Alex run for all they can. 

Just now, JonStark said:

Yeah everyone saying "well Ank already has a fight booked" are just conveniently leaving out that that fight never should've been made. He should be fighting for the title, but they want to milk this Alex run for all they can. 

Its crazy to me that they are doing it though. They lined up Conor to fight RDA, Alvarez and Khabib. Jones fought everyone there could be, same goes for Izzy, Volk etc. idk why they are doing this

8 hours ago, JonStark said:

The crazier take is - I'm not sure Ank gets a title shot with a win over Rakic.

If Stipe/Jones both retire, I could see them doing Poatan/Aspinall next.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Soggust said:

The crazier take is - I'm not sure Ank gets a title shot with a win over Rakic.

If Stipe/Jones both retire, I could see them doing Poatan/Aspinall next.

Make an interim title at least if thats the case. Throw Ank a bone. He isnt a terribly boring fighter like some who have gotten title shots

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 1:22 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Poatan v Rountree at UFC 307

On 8/16/2024 at 2:04 PM, JonStark said:

So random. 

23 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Ok so i like Rountree i do…and its not like im an Ankalaev stan but seriously how is he not fighting Alex next if he wins

i know he has a fight lined up but that never should’ve happened either

19 hours ago, JonStark said:

Because it’s in SLC and Dana doesn’t have any other marquee names who can headline - Poataj gets the SLC-proof matchup.   Ank at altitude would be a massive test.   Instead he won’t have to worry on grappling or the gas advantage.   

I do think there’s a title matchup if Ank beats Rakic but it won’t be at altitude.    If Dana had anyone else who could headline a title shot with any buzz we probably wouldn’t have seen this matchup.   But this is def Dana giving back to Pereira for stepping in and saving the promotion 2x on short notice.  

MGM has a casual crowd compared to other books - and I wish they’d publish volume (as not each fight will be close to each other) - but the really interesting part is if other books are seeing similar action - the books are backing Dricus hard vs. Izzy tonight.    Same with Tafa vs. Walker & Jairzinho vs. Tai tonight.    Doesn’t mean they’re right every time but it’s really noteworthy regardless.  

Edited by Broncofan

16 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

MGM has a casual crowd compared to other books - and I wish they’d publish volume (as not each fight will be close to each other) - but the really interesting part is if other books are seeing similar action - the books are backing Dricus hard vs. Izzy tonight.    Same with Tafa vs. Walker & Jairzinho vs. Tai tonight.    Doesn’t mean they’re right every time but it’s really noteworthy regardless.  

I was all over Izzy beating DDP at first because it’s a stylistic nightmare for him in theory, but Izzy has been way off in interviews and the presser imo and I have gone full 180 and am betting ddp as well tonight

Edited by Soggust

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I feel like the HW fight could simply be, both guys have 1 punch KO power and are Top-10 HWs…might as well back the dog?

28 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like the HW fight could simply be, both guys have 1 punch KO power and are Top-10 HWs…might as well back the dog?

Except they're backing the fave (Tafa) and inviting more dog action, for books that's a pretty bold stance.   Maybe there's not enough bet volume (unlike the main event, which is for sure getting a ton of action).   Again, books are far from infallible, but taking stands is rarely a random occurence on their part.   Worth seeing if there's info they have we don't (injury, etc.)