Want To Win A Super Bowl? Don't Pay Your QB.

MacReady

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol, yeah.  Of course not.  I'm suggesting they trade him.  Can you imagine what you would get if you traded Mahomes right now? 

I'm fully prepared for a veritable avalanche of hate for this opinion, but the Rams paid Goff, the Eagles paid Wentz, the Packers paid Rodgers, the Seahawks paid Wilson, the Steelers paid Roethlisberger...

How many times will a team pay their QB?

Up to 2007 it made sense.  Now?  It doesn't.  Quarterbacks are busting at a lesser and lesser rate.  Hell, the BROWNS have a franchise QB right now.  The BILLS have a franchise QB.  The RAVENS have a franchise QB. 

This is no longer pre-2007 where finding a franchise QB is impossible. 

Rams were a Taylor Rapp-blown coverage or a Greg Zuerlein-made FG from making the playoffs, the Seahawks have made the playoffs year in and year out with Wilson, the Steelers have made the playoffs year in and year out with Ben, and the Eagles made the playoffs (obviously, the biggest concern for them is Wentz' durability). These are poor examples.

Kansas City is looking at a decade of being guaranteed of being in the playoff hunt as long as Mahomes is healthy if they pay him. It would be foolish not to pay him.

• Like 1

I mean seriously, am I crazy for suggesting it like everyone in the Packer sub forum thinks I am?

Imagine what the Rams could have gotten for Goff.  They’d have all that right now PLUS all that cap space.  Same for Wentz.

Mahomes probably gets you 5 first round draft picks.  That kind of capital is how dynasties are built. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

Rams were a Taylor Rapp-blown coverage or a Greg Zuerlein-made FG from making the playoffs, the Seahawks have made the playoffs year in and year out with Wilson, the Steelers have made the playoffs year in and year out with Ben, and the Eagles made the playoffs (obviously, the biggest concern for them is Wentz' durability). These are poor examples.

Kansas City is looking at a decade of being guaranteed of being in the playoff hunt as long as Mahomes is healthy if they pay him. It would be foolish not to pay him.

It’s not about playoffs, it’s about making the playoffs and beating 3 or 4 other teams, likely 2 or 3 of which have a QB on a rookie deal and have money for other positions.  

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s not about playoffs, it’s about making the playoffs and beating 3 or 4 other teams, likely 2 or 3 of which have a QB on a rookie deal and have money for other positions.  

2 out of 32 teams in a given year make the Super Bowl. The odds are stacked against any single team making it. If you have the capacity to make the playoffs every year because of your QB, you're in a better position than most w/r/t your odds. So yes, it is very much about making the playoffs. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I mean seriously, am I crazy for suggesting it like everyone in the Packer sub forum thinks I am?

Imagine what the Rams could have gotten for Goff.  They’d have all that right now PLUS all that cap space.  Same for Wentz.

Mahomes probably gets you 5 first round draft picks.  That kind of capital is how dynasties are built. 

And who would be their QB?

Just now, BayRaider said:

You’ll get a lot of negative replies but every team that has paid their QB big bucks has not fared well at all. Can’t argue with facts/results. 

No, you can't argue with facts. Teams that paid their QBs and posted winning records:

Saints

Rams

Eagles

Patriots

49ers

Packers

Vikings

13 teams had winning records this year. That's 7 of them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

No, you can't argue with facts. Teams that paid their QBs and posted winning records:

Saints

Rams

Eagles

Patriots

49ers

Packers

Vikings

13 teams had winning records this year. That's 7 of them.

Who cares about winning records? Aaron Rodgers is a Top 3 QB and that was the WORST 13-3 team/roster of ALL time.  But Rodgers led them to 13-3, cause he’s that good. We said it going into the playoffs. Tom Brady is on a bit of a discount and so is Jimmy G. They are probably the two friendliest QB contracts and you can talk to 49er fans about that. 

Paying your QB at or above market rate will cause you to be in 6-11 win purgatory and not make a Super Bowl. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Who cares about winning records?

About 32 owners and millions of fans and players....that's who.

Aaron Rodgers is a Top 3 QB and that was the WORST 13-3 team/roster of ALL time

Yet, to use Rodgers as an example. If the Packers had actually invested money into FA over the last 10 years to build a defense around him then I bet we would not be having this conversation.

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

Who cares about winning records? Aaron Rodgers is a Top 3 QB and that was the WORST 13-3 team/roster of ALL time. We said it going into the playoffs. Tom Brady is on a bit of a discount and so is Jimmy G. They are probably the two friendliest QB contracts and you can talk to 49er fans about that. 

Paying your QB at or above market rate will cause you to be in 6-11 win purgatory and not make a Super Bowl. 

There's no such thing as 6 to 11 win purgatory. 6 to 8 wins is purgatory. The Packers still went 13-3 and made it to the NFCCG. If the only acceptable goal is the Super Bowl, you don't understand the NFL very well. The Patriots under Brady, Steelers under Bradshaw, 49ers under Montana, etc. are the exceptions, not the norm. You're blessed if your team makes a Super Bowl every ten years and is in the playoff hunt 8 out of those 10 years.

• Like 6

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

About 32 owners and millions of fans and players....that's who.

Yet, to use Rodgers as an example. If the Packers had actually invested money into FA over the last 10 years to build a defense around him then I bet we would not be having this conversation.

Invest what money? Too late now that they paid him. You always need cap room for draft classes and preferably 15% for wiggle room. 

Invest what money? Too late now that they paid him. You always need cap room for draft classes and preferably 15% for wiggle room. 

They did not always need the money and were not only strapped for cash because they had to pay Rodgers. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Trade Mahomes to the Bengals and your QB is Burrow for 5 years.  Then do it again.

And there's no guarantee that Burrow is a great QB. That could easily leave you as a mediocre franchise. Whereas Mahomes elevates the Bengals into a legit contender.

EDIT: You're putting a lot of faith in your QB evaluating ability. Odds are that you aren't batting over .500 with first round QB evaluations.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 3

I feel like people don't appreciate the variance that comes with single elimination tournaments such as the NFL playoffs. A lot of stuff can happen. Have to have those winning records to have a chance. After that, it's a matter of winning 3 games (I'd say 4, but it's just so rare that it happens, your chances are kind of shot if you don't have that bye week) 

• Like 10