Want To Win A Super Bowl? Don't Pay Your QB.

MacReady

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Jimmy Garroppolo just beat Aaron Rodgers by attempting less than a dozen passes when Rodgers had his best Championship game of his career.  If you pay your QB less, you can pay the rest of your team more. 

aren't the salaries of those 2 close though? spotrac say JG has a higher cap hit xD

• Like 1

I mean seriously, am I crazy for suggesting it like everyone in the Packer sub forum thinks I am?

Imagine what the Rams could have gotten for Goff.  They’d have all that right now PLUS all that cap space.  Same for Wentz.

Mahomes probably gets you 5 first round draft picks.  That kind of capital is how dynasties are built. 

It's been said that the QB's are getting paid too much, most of them. There are the ones that are legit and will play at the elite level in big games.  Thats what has happened and as a result I would d prefer the league have the QB's salary not a part of the cap.

5 RD1's, but there's no guarantee it will be another Hershel walker trade.  Mahomes is exceptional, just keep him and see if he wins with less talent.  Maybe he can make mediocre WR's really good and a good one elite. If there was a QB I had to pick to do that, it would be him and then prime Marino. 

Trade Mahomes to the Bengals and your QB is Burrow for 5 years.  Then do it again.

if you were a great GM/coach with the ego , maybe this would work. BB might be able to pull this off,  Jimmy and Jerry, maybe that's it though. Shanny seems good too, he has drafted really well. 

Your point is that a QB with good talent and surrounded by lots of talent should win it all. Then the difference in cap hit would be about $25M less.  Of course that's about 2 good players but if you have several RD1 picks to work with in trades, it could get interesting. 

Mahomes is special, just ride out this decade with him, and see if he can win with a lack of talent. I wouldn't be shocked.   Then what if players take a pay cut to stay or get signed by KCO.o 

Want to win a SB WR? Go play for the chiefs for a few years. 

These WR's Mahomes has a good, but others have had better and with less results. Lets give Mahomes praise at least for one more day

✌
5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Mahomes might be THE exception though. I think the OP is saying that quality other players are required, rather  than the higher % cap QB's. I think Mahomes would be the lone exception though, he is that good. 

Nice thread and info OP, good one.

What if the league removed the QB from the cap, let the owner pay the QB's whatever, yet not ruin the cap for the rest of the team? CBA table ever mention this?

It's not though. The OP is suggesting on trading him and using the big haul that KC would get for Mahomes in return plus the amount of cap space that it would save and then use those resources to rebuild, reload, or however you wanna phrase it, in order to remain competitive. 

There a few problems with this though and I don't care how many additional resources you have.

1) Finding a QB who is good enough to get you to a SB is VERY hard <---These dudes don't grow on trees.

2) Finding good players in the draft is a crapshoot.

3) Finding players who are available in FA that fit a team's specific needs who fit the scheme are not always going to be there in any given year. And if they are available, it's going to be much tougher to lure them in when your team is still uncertain about who is going to play QB -- aka "is this team even a contender".

4) The NFL is the ultimate team sport and it takes a certain bond and trust that certain players in certain positions need to have with one another in order for the entire unit to succeed, and this sort of thing takes time to build. Especially, a relationship between a QB and his OL, RB's, and WR's. Now how you do build this relationship between them all when you are constantly swapping out moving parts all in fear of paying your QB? Where's the long-term planning in all of this?

• Like 1

Jimmy Garoppolo did damn near nothing in the NFC Championship game and it was still a blowout.  That's not typical, though.  The Niners have an insanely talented team.  They're kind of like the Seahawks the year they won the Superbowl.  The interesting thing is, Garoppolo is paid a lot.  When he signed his deal it was massive.

Cap isnt a issue, teams can maneuver around it.

What is important is investing in the right positions, creating an identity,  and drafting well. 

The 49ers have like 5 high 1st rounders on their dl and built a beast ol. Kyle Shanahan is great at game planning.  They throw any rb back there and they produce like they did with mike Shanahan. 

Smash mouth football still lives, especially vs defenses that are smaller and built for spreads. 

Chiefs made significant moves to improve their defense.  Patrick Mahomes is the best QB in football, and has a ton of great weapons on offense. 

Andy Reid is one of the best offensive minds in nfl history,  just been snake bitten and I'd like to see him.finally win.

1 hour ago, showtime said:

Jimmy Garoppolo did damn near nothing in the NFC Championship game and it was still a blowout.  That's not typical, though.  The Niners have an insanely talented team.  They're kind of like the Seahawks the year they won the Superbowl.  The interesting thing is, Garoppolo is paid a lot.  When he signed his deal it was massive.

Excuse me, but he made a ton of handoffs without botching one or getting a cramp. And he did while being very pretty. He's worth every penny! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Excuse me, but he made a ton of handoffs without botching one or getting a cramp. And he did while being very pretty. He's worth every penny! 

Of his 8 pass attempts, he only completed 6.

He's a stone cold loser, and you should cut him before the Super Bowl.  Its the only chance your team has.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Of his 8 pass attempts, he only completed 6.

He's a stone cold loser, and you should cut him before the Super Bowl.  Its the only chance your team has.

The problem is, the team has too much respect for Andy Reid to unleash Nick Mullens on him. We all know how that would play out, and the NFL probably doesn't want us shattering the confidence of it's next superstar in Patrick Mahomes by having Mullens put him in his place. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

WTF is wrong with this forum? I can't edit, quote, or nothing in my post to fix the weird peace sign and huge blank space that is there in 3rivers post. This has been happening a lot lately. So annoying. 

that's alright dude, the peace sign is on the house todayB|

1 hour ago, showtime said:

that's how good they draft and find value rather than overspend. It's a testament to the FO and the talent evaluation as well as the coaching. Thats what I like about the 49ers, they run the team the way I would like. The chiefs are a bit different, they are pass happy but can do it since they have such a gifted QB . What a game this should be, and I normally don't care for the SB's and it's too bad there will only be 1 winner unless this turns into the Epic in Miami.2 .