Telvin Smith and the future at WLB

.Buzz

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Wait what? How is Telvin mismatched vs Ellington? Dude runs like a gazelle

Not really a mismatch in our minds since Telvin isn't your typical LB, but normally a LB shouldn't be on a guy like Ellington.

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I get that but you would think a mismatch is based on the player not the position. 

No idea who Scott Klein is/if he's a Jaguars fan though. From an outside perspective that doesn't know everything there is to know about Telvin/our defense than I can get why he said it.

I just think Telvin is awesome. Cool to see him challenge Savage a bit there, breakup the pass, than start jawing in his direction like that. This dude needs to be a lifetime Jaguar. Get it done TC/Caldwell and co.

Telvin’s closing speed (as showcased in that gif) is downright insane. And his hip flexibility is ridiculous. Dude moves like a slot corner. Definitely not a mismatch for him. Only real mismatch he has in the passing game is big physical receiving TEs.

That's the thing, we want to be a very fast and physical defense yet we're going to let one of the fastest and most physical guys go? 

Doesn't make sense if that's what we want our identity to be. Myles and Telvin need to be long term pieces.

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Too big of an impact player and leader for us to let him walk. Been a key player in building our defense.

I mean, he's one of the handful of real impact pieces they've managed to draft.  If they're just going to let impact players go, why even bother drafting at all tbh?

19 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, he's one of the handful of real impact pieces they've managed to draft.  If they're just going to let impact players go, why even bother drafting at all tbh?

Pretty much just because of the position he plays as to why it's in question (which I think is dumb). I get WLB isn't the toughest spot to fill/a big money spot on a team we need to keep him around. We have a pretty damn good looking nucleus and if Fowler builds on this past week, Ngakoue continues doing his thing, Jack builds on this past week, etc. than this defense really has some serious talent/going to be a potential elite defense. 

As I said above, if we are all about being physical/fast, why let go of someone that brings exactly that?

36 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Yes but with caldwell being from the polian line which they don't really value wlbers. It also makes the Brown pick fairly dumb cuz coughlin is a needs drafter

Drafting for need in the 5th round doesn’t mean that player is a starter. It’s a 5th round pick on a position where there’s literally no depth at all.

Other 5th round picks by Coughlin

• RB Ryan Christopherson, after drafting James Stewart at #19
  • Jimmy Herndon - didn’t even make the roster
  • CB Jason Craft - after drafting Fernando Bryant in the first, and having Aaron Beasley and Dave Thomas on the roster
  • P David Leaverton when Chris Hansen was still on the roster

Thats half of the guys he brought in via the 5th round during his tenure with us the first time having no means to make it to a starting role. Depth is a need.

4 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Yes but with caldwell being from the polian line which they don't really value wlbers. It also makes the Brown pick fairly dumb cuz coughlin is a needs drafter

What a coincidence.  With me being from the Good Football Team Wanter line, i don't really value Dave Caldwells.

Archived