Mock scenarios

jebrick

Lets see what you have at this point. 

What I tend to do for these is pick out a big board.  For the 1st pick (#49) you can go no higher than #44 but any below.  For all their other picks within 10 of the number and below.

big boards change a lot but I will start with this one https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jonah-tuls--2020-nfl-draft-big-boardpositional-rankings

Heavily weighted for the Senior bowl.  Pick any draft board you want.

From Tankathon. Steeler current picks plus a 3rd round comp

3.100(c)

Scenario - Steelers keep zero of their FA.  Lots of holes to fill.

2.49 - Julian Okwara EDGE, Notre Dame - A tough decision for me but I basically went with Bud 2.0.  Has played standing up and has covered in the flat.  Weak point is setting the edge.

3.100(c) - Davon Hamilton IDL, Ohio State - Love this guy.

4.114 - Thaddeus MossTE, LSU - The Steelers like TEs who block first and catch 2nd.  Moss is a very good inline blocker and needs to learn

4.125 - Keith Ismael IOL, San Diego State  Polished player that has played all three positions inside the OL.

6.179 - David Woodward LB, Utah State Have to replace Big Red so I get another try hard LB that will be ST demon

7.210 Xavier Lewis, S, Southeastern Louisiana Take a shot with a small school DB with some talent.

Like your list and would be just fine with that haul.  I'll do one just to be different...

#49: Uche Edge: No Bud makes best OLB here a no brainer imo. 

#100: V. Jefferson WR: Much bigger holes to fill but to good to pass up. 

#115: Akeem Davis-Gaither LB: Not sure what Gilbert offers but this is Baron's replacement.

#125 T. Biadsz OG/OC : Just what the Dr. ordered

#179: Benito Jones DT One of my faves

#210: Octavious Cooley TE: Perfectly happy with Moss @ #125 tho. 

I think we keep Dupree and lose Hargrave. We cut Foster, McDonald and Barron.

#40       CB T.Diggs (to good to pass up)
#100     DL L.Fotu or D.Hamilton
#115     TE B.Hopkins
#125     OL T.Biadasz
#179     S   A.Brooks Jr or R.Floyd
#210     BPA at either WR, OT or RB

2.49 - Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU - I just think that Conner has not proven to be durable, and I am not sure that you can go into next season with a reliable running game. No offense to the guys that pitched in last year, but we need better depth and a guy who can make an impact.

3.100 - Brandon Jones, S, Texas - Replacement for Sean Davis.

4.114 - Thaddeus Moss, TE, LSU - I think McDonald is gone. Vannett will get #1 reps, but I am not sure Gentry is good enough to be in the NFL.

4.125 - Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina - I'd like a better option than Holton.

Frankly, after the 4th, I have no clue. They need OL and DL depth, and it might be worth looking at a guy to replace Nix -- I mean a real candidate and not a converted smallish LB.

• Like 2

(2) 49 - - Kyle Dugger SS Leniore Rhyne - - Safety Depth is paper thin.  Nothing behind Minkah and Edmunds. Edmunds going through the Bud Dupree school of development. I would love to keep Sean Davis as an insurance policy.  This kid has good size and will thump you. He has some straight line speed and coverage ability. He is football smart though.  Edmunds is always a half step away. You hope he makes that up this year, just from being more comfortable and able to read what the QB and/or receiver are doing better.  Steelers like some three safety sets anyway.

(3) 100 - - Damien Lewis OG LSU - - I assume that they cut Foster and can't sign Finney.  They will have to draft a few or sign a free agent, but this is a great pick for the future and present. Won't have to move players around and keep Matt Feiler at RT next to DeCastro.  They were our best Ol's in 2019.

(4) 114 - - Joshua Kelly RB UCLA - - I was tempted to take TE Thaddius Moss here. More insurance and great value.  I have questions with the RB's. I am not enamored with Samuels. Whyte offers something different (speed), but not a starter. Snell did alright, but again not an every week starter.  Connors is health concerns. Kelly is a solid RB prospect and good insurance policy.

(4) 125 - - Tyler Badaisz OC/OG Wisconsin - - :D :D :x:xRunning to the podium with his card. I would've taken him at 49. I am shocked to see this name this far down the ladder. :$I have seen many mocks with him as a top 20 prospect. I love the size, attitude and heck even the name. Yeah I took a OG in round three, but this is my future C and he will compete at OG with Lewis or  rotate with him.  Ground and pound.  Theses guys will move people for Connors. He fits the smash=mouth style the running game needs to adapt to. We lost Finney and Foster. 

(6) 179 - - Tipa Galea'l Edge Baylor - - I am really gambling that Ola and Tupac step up at OLB. Chick is gone. Tipa is insurance as far as depth.  Considered going ILB, but we also have Ulysses Grant to replace Barron and Robert Spillane to replace Dirty Red. If there were a falling WR, I would consider, but I like the guys theu have.

(7) 210 - - Devin Asiasi TE UCLA - - I could've gone WR here as well. I am about helping the offensive ground game with Ben coming back from surgery and our defense showing the ability to make some stops.  Hoping that we can develop a punishing rushing attack with the ability to play action or throw when teams try to put 8 or 9 in the box with Ben back there. Haven't read up on this kid, but looks like he is a blocker.

Regrets: Not taking a WR with the talent there.  However, I like the new "Young Guns!" (Ju Ju, Washington, Dionte, Cain, and Darboh).  As far as DL, I sign Andrew Billings in free agency to replace Hargraves on first and second down. Gotta get rid of McCullers as well. He just doesn't do enough for me when in there. With only six picks, you have to use free agency and the draft. Looking at this it would be hard to cut Tyson. Great back-up, but  kinda high $$$. Hopefully, we could reduce or restructure some salary.