Offseason Talk:

whodatworm23

Updated

Chiefs win Super Bowl over 49ers basically told me that having a special special quarterback on a rookie deal is the only kryptonite to a top NFL defense with the best defensive front in football. Moving forward, Mahomes is one of a kind and will soon to be on a 40+ million per year deal and we all know as Saints fans what happens to the roster once that happens. 

Having said that, it’s my opinion that moving forward the Saints should take the 49ers model not the Chiefs in their quest to get back to the big game. The Saints days of having that supremely special quarterback talent is over but they are in a position to move into the other direction. Sadly as Saints fans we all know we will have to lallygag through another season of Brees padding his stats in the regular season and being exposed in the playoffs next year but after that hopefully we will move on and finally take this organization into another direction... let’s discuss which direction we all would like to see this franchise go.  

Ill go on record first with how I’d love to see our quarterback situation play out this offseason...

Drew Brees - Retires and moves into ESPN booth as Monday Night Football commentator.

Teddy Bridgewater - Signs multi-year deal with franchise outside of NFC South.

Taysom Hill - Is tendered at the highest level and is retained as starting quarterback in a prove it year in 2020.

Now what I think will happen...

Brees and Hill return in a transition year as Brees farewell tour while Hill becomes a more vocal point in the offense at quarterback while Bridgewater signs a multi-year deal elsewhere.

You need a good passing game.  It's just that you also need a good(great) defense.  And it's hard to have both at the same time.  But our passing attack will be limited regardless of who is at QB.  Brees can't throw deep, Teddy aint no air warrior and neither is Taysom.  We won't be bad enough to draft anybody special for a while.  

10 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

You need a good passing game.  It's just that you also need a good(great) defense.  And it's hard to have both at the same time.  But our passing attack will be limited regardless of who is at QB.  Brees can't throw deep, Teddy aint no air warrior and neither is Taysom.  We won't be bad enough to draft anybody special for a while.  

This is why I feel Hill should be the guy... Brees is done, he just haven’t realized it yet (even Payton finally admitted that he can’t push the ball down the field anymore), Teddy would be a decent starter but I see more of 8-8 to 9-7 type seasons under him keeping us in the purgatory of the NFL draft. Hill is the classic boom or bust post Brees. Hill can either be the power version of Lamar Jackson, if his passing has improved as much as Payton wants us to believe he can be a more athletic Steve Young or he can completely fall flat on his face as a starting quarterback possibly setting the franchise up in a position to be in striking distance of a young quarterback in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

Taysom Hill won’t survive a full season as a starter. He’s far too reckless with his body.

I tend to agree with you... let me pose a theory I have.

Do you believe that their is any chance Payton has spent the past week talking up Hill as a future starter in an effort to convince a team to give up a 2nd or 1st round pick for him once they tender him?

2 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I tend to agree with you... let me pose a theory I have.

Do you believe that their is any chance Payton has spent the past week talking up Hill as a future starter in an effort to convince a team to give up a 2nd or 1st round pick for him once they tender him?

I think I said this exact thing in NFL General

its exactly what they’re doing, IMO. At least trying to.... Trade Taysom for a 2nd and gear up for one more run with Brees

i don’t think our QBotF is on the roster, and if I had my way we’d be trying to find him right now rather than fooling around with a plan to get Brees one more run

Edited by Dome

1 minute ago, Dome said:

I think I said this exact thing in NFL General

its exactly what they’re doing. Trade Taysom for a 2nd and gear up for one more run with Brees

I could see it but we still need the heir on the team if that’s the case... I actually do like some of the QBs in this draft. I like Eason and Love, I’d take either but it’s kinda hard to believe Payton would put his name openly on this guy only to ship him out.

If Brees retires, I'm 100% on board with Teddy Bridgewater getting a chance next year as our starting QB not a believer in Hill being a starting QB at this point. Bridgewater obviously did what needed to be done this season when he was unexpectedly thrown into a starting role with Brees getting injured leading us to a perfect record in some tough environments as a starting QB. His stats weren't always pretty, but he was pretty good about protecting the football, and the last 3 weeks or so that he was a starter it really looked like he was getting some confidence in the system. He was even making some nice downfield throws as well his last few weeks a starter going for 7 touchdowns and 1 interception. 

8 hours ago, Dome said:

i don’t think our QBotF is on the roster, and if I had my way we’d be trying to find him right now rather than fooling around with a plan to get Brees one more run

Who would we be able to find?  I don’t see a lot of options.

If the plan is to make one more run with Brees, I think Taysom is more valuable than a second round pick.  Taysom Is perfect for the role we’ve been using him in, and does help our offense.  Taysom is legitimately a guy the defense can’t ignore, not just an every now and then gimmick guy.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

Who would we be able to find?  I don’t see a lot of options.

“Trying” to find is the key word. It’s going to be very hard for us to land a top flight QB as long as Brees is here to help keep our head above water. IMO we need to cut ties and bring in youth, we can’t just sit back waiting for someone to fall into our laps, it’ll never happen.

As hard as it is to say, I think the window has closed for Brees. One final push next season (which is what I fully expect us to do) is just a year wasting all the rest of the talent on the roster. This is just my opinion.

21 hours ago, Dome said:

Taysom Hill won’t survive a full season as a starter. He’s far too reckless with his body.

Perhaps...but there have been lots of guys before him with similar styles...Tebow, Newton, Jackson, Allen, and Culpepper who lasted a handful of years. Granted...he doesn’t have a huge window, but history has shown that you can have pretty significant immediate success. 

35 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Perhaps...but there have been lots of guys before him with similar styles...Tebow, Newton, Jackson, Allen, and Culpepper who lasted a handful of years. Granted...he doesn’t have a huge window, but history has shown that you can have pretty significant immediate success. 

I know its only preseason... I get it. However, ive been really studying Hills preseason performances over the last 3 seasons. The guy has arm talent! He also threw for 60% completion percentage in limited passing oppertunities at BYU due to the style of offense. Also, another thing that stands out is his ability to make things happen when the play breaks down. He also takes better care of his body while playing the quarterback position. He actually knows how to slide.

Just studying his progression over last 3 years all be it preseason and limited snaps in the regular season, i can see what has Payton excited about hill. Couple that with the favt that for the last 3 years Hill has adapted Brees preparation regimen and has been a true student to Brees makes me want to give the kid his shot especially considering his upside if it works.