Sign in to follow this  
whodatworm23

Offseason Talk:

I know Rankins didn't get to play much this year and he was already recovering from a serious Achilles injury. Did anyone pay attention to him? I'm concerned that his ceiling might have shrunk with that injury and he won't make it to a second contract with us. If that's the case then that'll be really disappointing not because of draft position but because he really was showing a breakout in year 3 before his injury. Some of his highlights from that Minnesota game in 2018 were insane.

1 hour ago, Fray32 said:

I know Rankins didn't get to play much this year and he was already recovering from a serious Achilles injury. Did anyone pay attention to him? I'm concerned that his ceiling might have shrunk with that injury and he won't make it to a second contract with us. If that's the case then that'll be really disappointing not because of draft position but because he really was showing a breakout in year 3 before his injury. Some of his highlights from that Minnesota game in 2018 were insane.

This is a great question pertaining to the offseason. Rankins seemed to be headed for great things with the Saints but he just can’t seem to stay healthy and his injuries are major ones. The Saints have some major decisions to make at defensive tackle... they paid top dollar for a NT in Malcolm Brown, Rankins is a former top 15 pick headed to his 5th year option who can’t stay healthy, Onymatta is a solid rotational player who will likely find greener pastures in FA, Shy Tuttle was a great find as a UDFA but he’s more of a fit at the 1 tec. The situation becomes more complicated because this is a great interior defensive line class in the draft and the meat of the position will come off the board towards the middle to back end of round 1 where the Saints are picking.