List of the Movies you Would pay to Own

DoleINGout

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

And are you saying this is how you happened upon most if not all of these movies of the 40's and 50's?

I'd like to know which movies from the last decade or so you like the most too.

no, that's not how I came across them, but I'm suggesting it for you since the information is easily complied .

last decade or so :  Kings Speech, Black Swan, Winters Bone, Fighter, the Town, Kick-***, Melancholia, ZDT, Blue is the Warmest Colour, Gravity, Under the Skin, Wolf of Wall Street, Nightcrawler, Birdman, Edge of Tomorrow, Revenant, Sicario, Big Short, Ex Machina, Arrival, GotG/Thor3/InfinityWar/Endgame/, Logan, JohnWick1-3, Killing of the Sacred Deer, Vice, The Favourite, Roma, Annihilation, JojoRabbit, Once Upon a time in Hollywood

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

no, that's not how I came across them, but I'm suggesting it for you since the information is easily complied .

last decade or so :  Kings Speech, Black Swan, Winters Bone, Fighter, the Town, Kick-***, Melancholia, ZDT, Blue is the Warmest Colour, Gravity, Under the Skin, Wolf of Wall Street, Nightcrawler, Birdman, Edge of Tomorrow, Revenant, Sicario, Big Short, Ex Machina, Arrival, GotG/Thor3/InfinityWar/Endgame/, Logan, JohnWick1-3, Killing of the Sacred Deer, Vice, The Favourite, Roma, Annihilation, JojoRabbit, Once Upon a time in Hollywood

And. What's your opinion of those films compared to the ones you'd start your collection off with?

10 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

And. What's your opinion of those films compared to the ones you'd start your collection off with?

that none of them is as important to me as any of the 20 I listed. That doesn't mean they suck.   Again, I said that I interpreted this as  "the ___X___  number of films I'd start rebuidling my collection with if I lost it.  I think those are the 20 films that most encompass the evolution of filmmaking while reflecting character studies/etc that impact me emotionally/etc. 

2 hours ago, SlevinKelevra said:

that none of them is as important to me as any of the 20 I listed. That doesn't mean they suck.   Again, I said that I interpreted this as  "the ___X___  number of films I'd start rebuidling my collection with if I lost it.  I think those are the 20 films that most encompass the evolution of filmmaking while reflecting character studies/etc that impact me emotionally/etc. 

I wasn't implying or suggesting that any of the films of the last decade replace any of the films on your list of movies you'd start a collection with. Maybe I should rephrase what I am asking. How do you feel the films of the last decade or so stack up to the older 40's and 50's films? What do you think of the film industry and it's affect now versus then? Is there anything to glean from how movies are directed, filmed, and acted over the history of cinema?

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I wasn't implying or suggesting that any of the films of the last decade replace any of the films on your list of movies you'd start a collection with. Maybe I should rephrase what I am asking. How do you feel the films of the last decade or so stack up to the older 40's and 50's films? What do you think of the film industry and it's affect now versus then? Is there anything to glean from how movies are directed, filmed, and acted over the history of cinema?

I would say there's absolutely many things to be gleaned by watching the development of cinema, changes in the industry spurred innovation by directors, and vice versa.  I mean just think of how various things that could only be shot in black and white can be shot differently in color.  The advent of super panavision 70mm and its theoretical 2.76:1  aspect ratio to destroy the old 14/9 and Academy ~4/3 .  How such technologies made the epic and the western far more believable due to the immersive cinematography possible.   The creation of new use camera angles and shots, such as Hitchock's dramatic stair scene in Notorious, the excessively high contrast of Citizen Kane and Third Man which helped (indirectly) inspire the massive chiarascuro-type lighting in 50s film noir.  How Citizen Kane and Rashomon helped revolutionize acceptance of non-linear narrative storytelling in wildly successful and acclaimed films.  How Rashomon also helped revitalize interest in the use of the unreliable narrator in storytelling in cinema.  How the rise of the 60's counterculture movement and post-Vietnam angst fueled the rebellion in storytelling compared to the Hayes code era standards.  All these things, understanding how visual storytelling evolved to what it is today is very valuable; it leads context to many things you might take for granted, or wonder why it is done a certain way.   Anyways, with that said,  if I were ranking decades by their 20 best films or so,  I'd say  50's, 70's, 40's, 90s, 30s, 60s, 00s, 10s, 80s.  The 20s had some very good films, but very few overall, so not 20 great ones. 

Edited by SlevinKelevra
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 8:55 AM, Deadpulse said:

I got a Fast and Furious box set for my birthday (still in its original shrink wrap!)

I have probably definitely watched these more than any other movie or movie series. So rewatchable. You hurt me. 

On 2/13/2020 at 4:17 PM, SlevinKelevra said:

I would say there's absolutely many things to be gleaned by watching the development of cinema, changes in the industry spurred innovation by directors, and vice versa.  I mean just think of how various things that could only be shot in black and white can be shot differently in color.  The advent of super panavision 70mm and its theoretical 2.76:1  aspect ratio to destroy the old 14/9 and Academy ~4/3 .  How such technologies made the epic and the western far more believable due to the immersive cinematography possible.   The creation of new use camera angles and shots, such as Hitchock's dramatic stair scene in Notorious, the excessively high contrast of Citizen Kane and Third Man which helped (indirectly) inspire the massive chiarascuro-type lighting in 50s film noir.  How Citizen Kane and Rashomon helped revolutionize acceptance of non-linear narrative storytelling in wildly successful and acclaimed films.  How Rashomon also helped revitalize interest in the use of the unreliable narrator in storytelling in cinema.  How the rise of the 60's counterculture movement and post-Vietnam angst fueled the rebellion in storytelling compared to the Hayes code era standards.  All these things, understanding how visual storytelling evolved to what it is today is very valuable; it leads context to many things you might take for granted, or wonder why it is done a certain way.   Anyways, with that said,  if I were ranking decades by their 20 best films or so,  I'd say  50's, 70's, 40's, 90s, 30s, 60s, 00s, 10s, 80s.  The 20s had some very good films, but very few overall, so not 20 great ones. 

Rating systems themselves also had their say in the evolution of film.  Hayes Code, Anatomy of  a Murder, PG-13 rating...  A lot of movies made today couldn’t be made 60 years ago.  Same for a lot of subject matter.  Before, movie ratings were essentially whether or not the movie could be shown at all.  

I’m really excited for Mank.  Not only because of Oldman, but also because hopefully it dives into just how much Citizen Kane changed things with deep focus cinematography alone.

6 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

it's nice to know that people who provide something you enjoy should be paid $.25 per hour .

They are already overpaid for their acting. I can live without a Meryl Streep drama or a Robert Downey Jr action movie. I'd rather pay the military, police, teachers, and first responders those salaries. I need their services.