List of the Movies you Would pay to Own

DoleINGout

18 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I still buy hard copies of movies I really enjoy and have high replay value.  I’m also a huge sucker for additional content- behind the scenes featurettes, director’s commentaries, etc. Some of the blu-rays that excel at this that I own are:

Gravity (arguably the best featurettes ever)
The Social Network
Zero Dark Thirty
The Town
Oblivion
The Last Jedi
(killer 2 hr documentary)
Minority Report
Heat
Good Will Hunting
(exceptional dir commentary track)
MI: Fallout

Okay I definitely think I am on the same page with this list. Could you elaborate a little on the Gravity extras you alluded to? What makes is "arguably the best ever"?

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Okay I definitely think I am on the same page with this list. Could you elaborate a little on the Gravity extras you alluded to? What makes is "arguably the best ever"?

This blu-ray is essentially film school.  The amount of featurettes and the in depth look at technique, invention, etc are fantastic.  Over 2 hrs worth!!  Here are just a few examples of the special features. 

• Gravity: Mission Control (Disc 2, HD, 107 minutes): Gravity's previously released extras kick off with a wonderfully extensive and revealing behind-the-scenes documentary that touches on every aspect of the production, from the original script to the various previsualization stages, the shoot itself, obstacles and difficulties encountered along the way, and the delicate marriage between editing, performances and visual effects. Segments include:

• It Began with a Story (16:21)
    • Initial Challenges: Long Shots and Zero G (10:12)
    • Previsualizing Gravity (11:38)
    • The Hues of Space (10:41)
    • Physical Weightlessness (7:48)
    • Space Tech (13:02)
    • Sandra and George: A Pair in Space (9:37)
    • Final Animation (15:01)
    • Complete Silence (12:13)
  • Shot Breakdowns (Disc 2, HD, 37 minutes): Calling this series of scene-specific featurettes "Shot Breakdowns" is a bit of a misnomer. While they do indeed break down key shots in the film, each one is more of an extension or addition to the "Mission Control" production documentary than a simple FX short. And each one is as fascinating as the next. I only wish there were more. Breakdowns include: 

• Behind the Visor (6:50)
    • Fire in the International Space Station (5:42)
    • Dr. Stone's Rebirth (7:54)
    • The Sound of Action in Space (7:55)
    • Splashdown (8:24)

On 2/10/2020 at 5:35 AM, MWil23 said:

I own a decent amount of movies, but there's one that sticks out that if I found for a good price, I'd legitimately pay to own it:

Warrior (Nick Nolte, Tom Hardy) checks almost every box for me.

I love this movie. So much passion. You really connected with both characters and the conflicting rooting interests really capture you 

Good choice 

For me, it's probably interstellar. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I do a lot of not so legal means to 'own' movies on a dedicated movie external hard drive buuuuut

Before Disney+ my roommates and I went out and bought all the MCU movies in 4k, so we have everything except for Infinity War, Captain Marvel, and Endgame. 

The box set for Star Wars episodes I through VI

I got a Fast and Furious box set for my birthday (still in its original shrink wrap!)

Jurassic Park box set (pre-World)

All the John Wick movies

I think those are the only notables. I really dont buy movies, and its not because I rely on streaming... I just own them in a different, free like way lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I do a lot of not so legal means to 'own' movies on a dedicated movie external hard drive buuuuut

Before Disney+ my roommates and I went out and bought all the MCU movies in 4k, so we have everything except for Infinity War, Captain Marvel, and Endgame. 

The box set for Star Wars episodes I through VI

I got a Fast and Furious box set for my birthday (still in its original shrink wrap!)

Jurassic Park box set (pre-World)

All the John Wick movies

I think those are the only notables. I really dont buy movies, and its not because I rely on streaming... I just own them in a different, free like way lol

Are those all movies you have frequently watched or do you have some others that you would like to see again and again and again?

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Are those all movies you have frequently watched or do you have some others that you would like to see again and again and again?

My most rewatched movies are:

MCU flicks

Star Wars flicks

Good Will Hunting

Nolan Batman

Role Models

Jurassic Park

Die Hard

Pulp Fiction

Breakfast Club

Ferris Buellers Day Off

The Big Lebowski

Easy A

Mean Girls

Step Brothers

Karate Kid (original)

Elf

The Santa Clause

FIght Club

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs

The Town

The Departed

Taxi Driver

The Birdcage

Office Space

Field of Dreams

Mighty Ducks (all of them)

Treasure Planet

Toy Story franchise

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (I know, but it makes me happy)

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Crazy. Stupid. Love.

Inception

The Wolf of Wall Street

AMERICAN HUSTLE

Silver Linings Playbook

The Fighter

Baby Driver

Blade Runner

Jo Jo Rabbit

Inglorious Bastards

Shaun of the Dead

School of Rock

Creed 1 and 2

The Incredibles

Knives Out

The Lego Movie

Logan

Kill Bill 1 and 2

Up

American Beauty

American Psycho

Zombieland

Gangs of New York

Ocean's Eleven

Fargo

The Usual Suspects

Se7en

American History X

Clerks

Terminator 2

Dead Poet's Society

Rudy

Radio

Blindside

The Princess Bride

Moneyball

Remember the TItans

The Sandlot

Dodgeball

SpaceJam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

My most rewatched movies are:

Good Will Hunting

Die Hard

Pulp Fiction

The Big Lebowski

Easy A

Mean Girls

Step Brothers

Goodfellas

Reservoir Dogs

The Departed

Taxi Driver

The Birdcage

Office Space

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (I know, but it makes me happy)

Crazy. Stupid. Love.

AMERICAN HUSTLE

The Fighter

Blade Runner

Jo Jo Rabbit

Inglorious Bastards

Shaun of the Dead

Creed 1 and 2

Knives Out

The Lego Movie

Logan

Kill Bill 1 and 2

American Beauty

American Psycho

Zombieland

Gangs of New York

Ocean's Eleven

Fargo

The Usual Suspects

American History X

Terminator 2

Rudy

Blindside

I haven't seen these yet.

On 2/10/2020 at 5:24 PM, SlevinKelevra said:

1) well, if apple went out business tomorrow, you wouldn't  "own those forever", since you only stream them

2) not sure I've watched these the most in the last year, but if I were starting my collection from scratch I'd go with them

cheated, had to go with 11

Notorious

the Third Man

Rashomon

Seventh Seal

the Ballad of Narayama

Once Upon a time in the West

Solaris

Chinatown

Santa Sangre

Dark City

Amelie

1.) True but it's Apple

2.) How did you discover these films, many are from the 1950's, and which Notorious film are you alluding to? The Biggie Smalls film from 2008? I take it the Solaris and Dark City in your collection would start with the originals? Is there something about that time period that you like in particular?

9 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

1.) True but it's Apple

2.) How did you discover these films, many are from the 1950's, and which Notorious film are you alluding to? The Biggie Smalls film from 2008? I take it the Solaris and Dark City in your collection would start with the originals? Is there something about that time period that you like in particular?

1) yes, probably, but I was just emphasizing the point.  Maybe apple per se going under is extreme, but imagine for example they deplatform Weinstein movies due to public outrage. So apple/itunes is still there, but you can't watch certain movies anymore.

2) Anyways,  the Hitchcock Notorious from 1946.  Yes the original Solaris, not hte terrible remake.  I like that beginning in the mid-late 40s and through the 50s  film began to much more realistically portray negative ideas, emotions, themes, etc in the wake of an emergent postWW2 world.  There were many great movies made before then, but (as a whole) one would say they were more childlike and naive in their exuberance, positive vision of the future/world, etc; granted a large chunk of that can be atrributed to mores, the zeitgeist, following the Hayes Code etc. But overall why I listed and selected those films is I think they provide both individual and societal character studies on who and what we really are  and can be, across culture, experience, etc. It's particularly interesting to see how negative and dark experience and emotion , societally transgressive behavior, were portrayed in the era of learning how to subvert the Hayes Code, for example.   If you're really interested, I'd say just work through the Criterion Collection and Ebert's list of "Great Movies"   in chronological order.   Neither of those are perfect (they both have some terrible films and omit some great ones),  but as simple and largely comprehensive resources, you can't do much better for the minimal effort required.

Edited by SlevinKelevra
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SlevinKelevra said:

If you're really interested, I'd say just work through the Criterion Collection and Ebert's list of "Great Movies"   in chronological order. 

And are you saying this is how you happened upon most if not all of these movies of the 40's and 50's?

I'd like to know which movies from the last decade or so you like the most too.