Why are people saying the 1-seed is the main beneficiary of this new playoff format?

Bolts223

42 minutes ago, mission27 said:

The only team that benefits from the new format is the new 7 seed tbh 

Any other take is dumb

And clearly the main team that is hurt is the #2 seed 

Based on Skippy's numbers on average any given #1 seed has a 25% chance of winning the SB, a #2 seed has a 12.5% chance, #3-6 seeds have way less in the single digits

Obviously there is a team quality bias but putting that aside for a second

Basically what this does is adds another team in each conference with a single digit chance of winning the Super Bowl and the #2 seed goes from being a worse version of the #1 seed to being a lot more similar to a #3 or #4 seed

Basically I think the #1, #3-6 seeds are probably hurt marginally because there is an extra team in the playoffs and therefore an extra team that can get hot at the right time and go on a run. But there could also be marginal knock-on effects in the other direction. Likely doesn't change their odds by a statistically significant amount.

The #2 seed is hurt enormously. Like, maybe 30% less likely to win the Super Bowl. 

The #7 seed is obviously infinitely more likely to win the Super Bowl and is the only real beneficiary. 

The chance of the #1 seed having to play the #2 seed is drastically reduced as well.

Assuming the #2 being favored in each game at a 67% chance the odds go from 67%(1 game) to 45%(2 games)

The #2 seed gets kicked in the pants.

Note: You can run the numbers at 80%(64%) or 55%(30%) they will be awful for the #2 seed in any case.

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Basically I think the #1, #3-6 seeds are probably hurt marginally because there is an extra team in the playoffs and therefore an extra team that can get hot at the right time and go on a run. But there could also be marginal knock-on effects in the other direction. Likely doesn't change their odds by a statistically significant amount.

The #2 seed is hurt enormously. Like, maybe 30% less likely to win the Super Bowl. 

The #7 seed is obviously infinitely more likely to win the Super Bowl and is the only real beneficiary. 

A 3-seed now has a realistic chance to host a divisional round playoff game. I'd say that helps them quite a bit. 

Edited by Bolts223

It hurts the 2nd seed a lot, but why do we care so much? 
go out and win the 1st seed...it’s a reward for being the best in your conference. 

Like Saints missed out this year because they couldn’t finish off the win against the Niners, Niners got the #1 because they did and beat the Seahawks to cap off the year. Do we feel bad for them?

I guess I just don’t see the big deal.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

It hurts the 2nd seed a lot, but why do we care so much? 
go out and win the 1st seed...it’s a reward for being the best in your conference. 

Like Saints missed out this year because they couldn’t finish off the win against the Niners, Niners got the #1 because they did and beat the Seahawks to cap off the year. Do we feel bad for them?

I guess I just don’t see the big deal.

It's not. If anything this will make every game including week 17 for most teams a game that must be played. Whether it's to remain #2 or drop. No more resting because you won your division early knowing you get a Bye as a 2.

The #1 Seed should have every advantage including less games played then the rest of the field. Love the change in format.