Week 3 GDT - Los Angeles Rams @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

7 hours ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I like PFF on the whole, but they''re work has to be taken with a massive grain of salt.  I actually prefer when they stick to just scouting articles and podcasts. When they start trying to push their ridiculous new stats it gets to be a bit much. Hopefully their growing popularity lends to some more capital, because they really need to invest in more statisticians and less joe schmoe watching a game then making up stats as they go along. Stop mixing the two basically. 

/rant

(I havea  4 hour commute so I listen to way too much football stuff now, PFF has fallen in that rotation)

More proof that PFF sucks: Carlos Hyde currently has a grade of 37.1, suggesting that he is the second worst RB in the league, after David Johnson hahaha

Their RB rankings are always a big weird to me. Hyde got a 80.1 grade in 2015 while was lower last year when he had a better season. And obviously same applies to this season. 

I know Buckner wanted 10 sacks this season but I never thought it was all that attainable. He's not quite that exclusive to get 10 sacks from the interior. But that's perfectly fine as he has been awesome to start the season. Thomas will eventually be the guy with a chance to get double digit sacks. But he's far far away from that. 

Our run defense was a bit disappointing to me. I know Gurley at one point had less than a 3 YPC average, but a lot of that had to do with him getting seven or eight goal line carries. I know we aren't going to have a dominant pass rush, but have to bank on being a top notch run stopping team. Then again, the sub-par LB play didn't help matters either.

Hmmmm...I was considering going to BWWs to watch this...but didn't. Guess I missed the fun. Watched "Dead Poet's Society" with the family instead.

I was hoping our D was tougher than this, as I know many of you were. It is encouraging to see an improvement in the O, though. Perhaps more in the play-calling than in the QB himself.

10 hours ago, John232 said:

My new draft order is 

1. QB

2. CB/DE
2. CB/DE
3. G
4. C

Others seem unbothered by Witherspoon not on the active roster because he doesn't play ST.  I still worry a lot about him.  Our dbs are so bad that I guy taken that high should have had a good chance of becoming the number 2 or 3 CB not merely relegated to a potential role on ST. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

If we don't start using some real money out of our cap space next year, I'll be a little put off. We handed out some "big" deals this year, but they were mostly big paydays for guys who weren't really expecting that much. The only real big money we spent was Garcon.

WHich  is  why drafting a QB would be much more preferable to paying Cousins $25-30 million a year.  There are a lot of holes we could plug with that kind of money.

Here is the thing, he was taken in the 3rd round, NOT the 1st or 2nd round. So no, he wasn't taken THAT high. He's a raw prospect, and since he's not a STs contributor, the only reason to activate him is if he is one of the starters. Now, that could happen later in the season, just not now.

Just now, big9erfan said:

WHich  is  why drafting a QB would be much more preferable to paying Cousins $25-30 million a year.  There are a lot of holes we could plug with that kind of money.

The only problem with that thought is that you're not getting all the big guys. You're going to spending a lot of that money on borderline free agents. Even if we were to throw caution to the wind and signing big time guys, you're probably only getting 1-2. Otherwise, you're going to get a lot of mid and lower level guys who really aren't going to help a ton. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Do we think that there's a likelihood that Armstead gets dealt after this season is over? We would have to decide on his option or he'll be going into his final year. The kid is only 23, so I hate to dump him off, but he's not been overly impressive in this new position so far, albeit only 3 games in. Just isn't a natural enough outside pass rusher. We are starting to see more and more high picks dealt while still on their rookie deals, and we can't be happy with the lack of pressure we are generating at this point in time.

I think one of our three top picks from the past three years should probably be traded.  It's nice to be able to rotate guys, but that's still a lot tied up in a part time player,particularly if they are only average in the role we have put them in. Ah, but that's the problem.  What could we get for Arik?

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I think one of our three top picks from the past three years should probably be traded.  It's nice to be able to rotate guys, but that's still a lot tied up in a part time player,particularly if they are only average in the role we have put them in. Ah, but that's the problem.  What could we get for Arik?

Not an absolute ton. The problem is, he's not putting up "numbers" in a position where "stats" are expected. As a 3-4 end, you don't really need "sexy stats" to be good at that position. BUt now he's also 20 pounds light to play a 3-4 end. He's kind of trapped in purgatory. If I had to guess? Third rounder? Maybe a third and a swap of later picks? 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Here is the thing, he was taken in the 3rd round, NOT the 1st or 2nd round. So no, he wasn't taken THAT high. He's a raw prospect, and since he's not a STs contributor, the only reason to activate him is if he is one of the starters. Now, that could happen later in the season, just not now.

High in the draft the round number can be misleading a bit.  He WAS taken in the third round - at position 66, two spots out of being a second rounder. That's very different from the bottom of round 3. In fact, strange as it might seem, he was numerically closer to being a first rounder than a 4th rounder. Guys taken at position 66 should have a good chance of playing, either as a starter or as a backup that makes some contribution to the team. That's in general, but of course it makes a difference which team they end up on.  If it happens to be a team with a pair of really good corners where no rookie is going to push them aside then OK.  But we happen to be a team with CBs that as a group are among the worst in the league.  This should have been one of the easiest team for a rookie CB to earn some PT.  Heck I was expecting Williams if he stayed healthy and Kittle to be contributing because our need in those position groups was pretty big.  Kittle is contributing as are Taylor, Jones and Breida - all at their position, not on STs.I just would exxpect the same from a guy taken higher than all of them.  As for "raw prospect" Pita is "raw" and not contributing, but he was taken at 202 not 66.

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

The only problem with that thought is that you're not getting all the big guys. You're going to spending a lot of that money on borderline free agents. Even if we were to throw caution to the wind and signing big time guys, you're probably only getting 1-2. Otherwise, you're going to get a lot of mid and lower level guys who really aren't going to help a ton. 

I know what you mean. But $30 million is a pretty nice chunk of cap space.For that we should be able to sign couple of guys that are potential pro bowlers - guys that will make a meaningful difference.  They don't have to be every year types, just really good solid guys that are at least in that discussion every year.  As long as we're not talking QB there should still be enough left to squeeze in another player or two that is not pro bowl level but still an upgrade to guys on this year's roster. A couple of potential "stars" plus a couple of upgrades is probably a reasonable expectation for $30 million. Maybe?

He was drafted in the 3rd round with damn near everyone expecting him to be a project. That doesn't mean he can't play this season, because I do think his number will be called. But it's not surprising he is inactive when he isn't a starter. This team uses three safeties often during dime packages instead of four CBs. If by week 8 or 9 he isn't on the active roster, than I would start to worry a bit.

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not an absolute ton. The problem is, he's not putting up "numbers" in a position where "stats" are expected. As a 3-4 end, you don't really need "sexy stats" to be good at that position. BUt now he's also 20 pounds light to play a 3-4 end. He's kind of trapped in purgatory. If I had to guess? Third rounder? Maybe a third and a swap of later picks? 

I was thinking 3rd too, maybe 4th. Not higher unless he starts setting the world on fire which is not likely in his role. We're lkind of doing to him what prior regimes did to Tank.  Not putting him in a spot that best suits his natural skills.

Archived