future QBs

LoganF89

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

That would be friggin' hilarious considering that would mean that Tom Brady would have a $14M 2018 salary and Garappolo would have a $25+M salary. Capwise, Brady comes out to about $22M, so even there it Jimmy would be more expensive.

I cannot see any way the Patriots tie up nearly $50M in cap space in two players that play the same position but cannot be on the field at the same time.

Yeah, I mean has been a huge topic on the sport radio shows up here. The Patriots are in a dilemma here. Here's what a lot people think is happening; Belichick thinks the Garappolo is the QB of the future here. They would have traded him to Cleveland for a 1st round pick (possibly more) if not. There are thoughts the Belichick secretly hopes that Brady does retire after this season so that it is an easy decision to make on Jimmy G. The problem is that Brady has no interest in this being his last year and that puts the Patriots in huge pickle at the end of the season. If Brady choses to stay, here are the Pat's options:

1) Let Jimmy G walk and lose your QB of the future with little compensation AND risk him going to your arch rivals the Jets.

2) Trade Brady and sign Jimmy G long-term. Now, while the Pats have been known to trade big names that they think are past their prime/will be too expensive (Richard Seymour, Chandler Jones, Logan Mankins, Jamie Collins etc) Brady is a completely different case here. 

3) Keep Brady and sign Jimmy G to a long-term deal. That's still a ton of $$$ spent on 2 players.

4) Keep Brady and franchise/trans tag Jimmy G for one year and hope its Brady's last year again. As you pointed out, $$$wise thats almost impossible. 

So two things are pretty much assumed up here. 1) Belichick loves Jimmy G and 2) Brady has no interesting in retiring and probably has at least 2 or 3 more good years left. 

It isn't often that Patriots don't have a plan set for the future but this one is very, very tricky. 

What would I do if I was the Patriots, assuming they do believe in Jimmy G? I would do option 2. Trade Brady for the best offer you can get and start The Life Beyond Brady Project. It would be an extremely ballsy move on the Patriots part and would come without a lot of controversy but that's what I would do. I don't know whats going to happen, but it sure will be fun to watch!

What would you guys do? What do you think they WILL do? 

Just now, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

1) Let Jimmy G walk and lose your QB of the future with little compensation AND risk him going to your arch rivals the Jets.

2) Trade Brady and sign Jimmy G long-term. Now, while the Pats have been known to trade big names that they think are past their prime/will be too expensive (Richard Seymour, Chandler Jones, Logan Mankins, Jamie Collins etc) Brady is a completely different case here. 

3) Keep Brady and sign Jimmy G to a long-term deal. That's still a ton of $$$ spent on 2 players.

4) Keep Brady and franchise/trans tag Jimmy G for one year and hope its Brady's last year again. As you pointed out, $$$wise thats almost impossible. 

1. If you let Garappolo walk, you can still get some compensation in the form of a compensatory pick. Yes, he could go to the Jets, but there are other teams out there that have QB needs as well (Arizona, San Francisco, possibly New Orleans, us (sigh)). If Garappolo were to go to leave, would he want to go to the Jets who have essentially nothing on offense for him to play with beyond Kearse (I'm sorry, I don't count ASJ ... he's done next to nothing in the league)?
  2. Trading Brady becomes a bit more touchy and not for the look that it would present to the New England fan base. If you are going to trade Brady, you have to assume you want to send him to the NFC. Problem is where? Only possible options I see are us, the Giants (but they'd have to cut Eli), Arizona (but they'd have to cut Palmer), New Orleans (assuming Brees retires), or San Francisco. Would the 49ers trade for Brady when they know that Cousins is likely going to be available on the market? Unlike with Garropolo, the teams in the NFC that may be looking for QBs are mostly dealing with guys at the end of their careers. I'm not sure they want to give up draft picks only to deal with the situation they are now in a year or two. Even if you consider the AFC (outside of the East), there's not a lot of viable trade destinations there.

3 and 4 are cap killers, with #4 being super destructive in 2018.

There is option 5: sign Garropolo long term and cut Brady. It's damn near unthinkable, but it is AN option. It would in theory give Brady the opportunity to go where he wanted and it starts the new era sooner (albeit on a much bigger break).

Option 6: Keep Brady and trade Garropolo now (before the 2017 trade deadline). You may not get the most trade value, but you get what you can up front (obviously with some sweeteners if he resigns). If Garropolo doesn't re-sign with his new team, then you at least get your compensation in 2018 and don't have to worry about 2019.

Honestly, if you think Garropolo is that great of a player, go with option 5. I am not sure he is, so I would probably go option 6.

13 minutes ago, Woz said:
  2. There is option 5: sign Garropolo long term and cut Brady. It's damn near unthinkable, but it is AN option. It would in theory give Brady the opportunity to go where he wanted and it starts the new era sooner (albeit on a much bigger break).

Option 6: Keep Brady and trade Garropolo now (before the 2017 trade deadline). You may not get the most trade value, but you get what you can up front (obviously with some sweeteners if he resigns). If Garropolo doesn't re-sign with his new team, then you at least get your compensation in 2018 and don't have to worry about 2019.

Honestly, if you think Garropolo is that great of a player, go with option 5. I am not sure he is, so I would probably go option 6.

Wow, didn't even think about option 5. That would better etiquette for the man that won you 5 SBs.  And I'm with you on option 6. I was shocked that they didn't trade Garropolo this offseason. I'm not convinced that he's as good as people up here say he is. But it doesn't matter what I think, its what Bill thinks. Now, no one knows what is going on in Bill's head. He is a locked box. People are theorizing how much he love Jimmy G but no one actually knows. I guess we have kind of strayed off-topic here but it is nice to see Patriot fans going crazy over this. I have been waiting for Life After Brady for almost two decades now. Patriot fans are spoiled and I'm sick of them complaining on Monday mornings that they only won by 4 points etc, etc. 

On 9/21/2017 at 8:17 PM, lavar703 said:

I don't see anyway the Patriots let Tom Brady go. Simply not going to happen. 

If any team would be able to do it, it would be the Patriots. Belichick is the most cold-hearted, ruthless personnel manager there is. Granted, it would be an earth-shattering level of surprise if they were to do it, but it's within the realm of possibility.

On September 21, 2017 at 9:51 PM, lavar703 said:

We won't sign Garrapolo. Snyder wants a QB he can sell. It will probably be Allen, Jackson or Mayfield. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see us go defense first and then Mayfield second. 

Couldn't Snyder sell Garapolo on the fact that he played for the patriots and learned from Brady?

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Couldn't Snyder sell Garapolo on the fact that he played for the patriots and learned from Brady?

No. Garrapolo is Kirk 2.0. You can sell Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen or Josh Rosen. Darnold won't be an possibility for us. 

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

No. Garrapolo is Kirk 2.0. You can sell Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen or Josh Rosen. Darnold won't be an possibility for us. 

I agree you that Snyder can market a 1st round pick qb very well especially a flashy one like Jackson or Mayfield.  I just also think Garrapolo can be sold to a fan base that is starving for a winner because he's coming from the Patriots and the ladies will love his looks just like they like Cousins' looks.

It's a different kind of sell, but getting a young qb who's coming from the Patriots to be our starter is definitely something that can be sold to the fan base.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I agree you that Snyder can market a 1st round pick qb very well especially a flashy one like Jackson or Mayfield.  I just also think Garrapolo can be sold to a fan base that is starving for a winner because he's coming from the Patriots and the ladies will love his looks just like they like Cousins' looks.

It's a different kind of sell, but getting a young qb who's coming from the Patriots to be our starter is definitely something that can be sold to the fan base.

The issue I have with Garrapolo is I think it's tougher to sell someone you don't bring in as a draft choice. This fanbase gets extremely excited for first round QBs. Ramsey, Campbell, Griffin etc. all had the fanbase ready to put their butts in seats at FedEx. For some reason I agree with Doc. I'm starting to think it's going to be Mayfield. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The issue I have with Garrapolo is I think it's tougher to sell someone you don't bring in as a draft choice. This fanbase gets extremely excited for first round QBs. Ramsey, Campbell, Griffin etc. all had the fanbase ready to put their butts in seats at FedEx. For some reason I agree with Doc. I'm starting to think it's going to be Mayfield. 

I totally understand what you are saying. I'm just saying wining puts butts in the seats long term. Fans will get excited about a 1st round qb for sure but if the team doesn't win then, hopes will fade and excitement about the team will fade. Just see RG3 at the end of 2013 & in 2014 vs. 2012.  

I think getting the best player long term is what we should do, not just a flash in the pan that fans will be excited about because he was drafted in round 1. I for one would not be happy with a selection of Jackson of Mayfield for Jay Gruden's offense. We need a pure pocket passer, not a qb who runs and needs some zone read action to be successful like Jackson or a scrambling qb like Mayfield.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:51 PM, lavar703 said:

We won't sign Garrapolo. Snyder wants a QB he can sell. It will probably be Allen, Jackson or Mayfield. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see us go defense first and then Mayfield second. 

I disagree garapplo is a star in the making he's very well liked and also very exciting to watch play .

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

After the Matt Cassel and Brian Hoyer failures I'll pass on the Brady back ups. 

Sure because every qb is the same... Garrapolo was drafted in round 2 by the Pats for a reason, he can play.

Look at Jacoby Brissett? He's looked pretty good and he just got to Indy 3 weeks ago. 

Archived