Stupider Mock After Combine

festiveonion

Gettin slow and I need a beer so this is my excuse to get out of my house.

80% of our mocks attack WR or OT first and I need something else to look at.
Disclaimers being I'm not terribly versed in contracts and cap space but I enjoy team building so I'm trying to get into it.
200 mil projected jump for 2020 and ~185 committed somehow leaves us with ~20.5 mil on OTC. I trust those numbers more than my remedial math skills.
If anyone has any additional info I wouldn't mind getting lampooned here. 
Let's bump that up to 32.6 after the release of Helicopter Jimmy (+8mil) and Taylor (+4.1).

A lazy glaze over our roster and LB and TE are need, as well as the aforementioned OT and WR. Those positions are constantly addressed by national guys. 
A more in depth look... and a pat on the back for being a real one.. leaves question marks at DL, RB, EDGE, CB, and potentially a developmental QB.

Take off a very liberal -8mil [24.6mil] for Rookies and Rollover. Let's get to work.

Resignings/FA:

Jared Veldheer -3mil  [21.6mil cap]
Don't wanna walk into the draft with a NEED vs a need here. Hopefully he can hold down the fort in spot duty. Turner can spell OT, however begrudgingly this forum would accept said decision. It's looking more like Beluga won't be back and given Green Bay's hesitation with 3rd contracts we need someone to man that spot. We could do worse than Veld.

Tyler Ervin -1.5 [20.1mil]
Why wouldn't you?

QL7xuOVyMaKcfl9oI0V9-iN3yhiU9TljfGd2KHRm 
Mercedes Lewis -1.5 [18.6mil]
Locker room vet presence. Steady. Rodgers connection.

ERFA Bench Mob Lazard, Lancaster, Sullivan, Big Bob Tonyan -.57mil a pop/-2.3 [18.3mil] 

Roy+Robertson+Harris+Buffalo+Bills+vs+Ch
Roy Roberston-Harris -5 [13.6mil]
Big dude who can move (6'5/290). Value signing. Hurts a rival strapped for cash. Don't wanna include common names here but this guy is a stud

350px-Kevin_Pierre-Louis_2019.JPG 
Kevin Pierre-Louis  -4 [9.6mil] 
Speed inside. Opportunity to shine and a potential boon next to Burks or Bolton. Completes stealing the hyphen-bros from a plus defense. 

gettyimages-1088222844-e1549555109238.jp
David Onyemata -5 [4.6mil]
Younger guy with plus measurables and pSPARQ (6'4/300). Saints can't afford to bring him back. 3T. Promising upside value guy.
Have it on good terms the Packers were really interested during the 2016 draft. Jk. Made that up.

gettyimages-1178353449-e1571136445202.jp
Kendall Fuller -4 [.6]
25 and primed for a fresh start. Pedigree and experience balling in the slot (6 picks in '17 and '18). One year prove it probably sounds better to Fuller camp than otherwise. Think Tramon is ready to hang them up. We need a guy who can move and for better or worse Fuller has that experience as a move piece.

Would have loved a pass catcher here. I'll settle for providing plus pass rush and backing up one of the weakest ILB cores in the NFL. I understand signing 2 guys from the division makes me look like I don't pay attention to football as much as some people here. To that I say... fair. Toyed with Correa at ILB. Over exposure to these guys shouldn't honestly push us away from them tho. There. Covered my own tracks sufficiently...

2020 NFL DRAFT (que ESPN 'pick is in' music)

RND1 #30
13d45882-f727-4d20-8e85-e59ef1a7733f-USA
#24 Terrell Lewis EDGE Alabama
6'5 / 260

Size. Power. Flexibility. 

"We don't need an EDGE in the first. We already drafted Gary last year. We signed Z and Preston!!1" 
Eat it. Told you I wasn't going OT. Pass rush skills are needed on this team. Sorely. Premium prospects at premium positions cost premium picks. 
Lewis gets a knock for a couple injuries in college. If you don't like him here cause of that I can live with it. Looks the part tho. Could be a top 15 guy if healthy.
He's the kinda prospect our DC can get behind. He is big. He is explosive. He is mobile. He can be a 3-4 LB or sit on the line. Move Gary and Z on the line as needed. Sudden, legit burst. Highlights

RND2 #62
Brandon-Aiyuk-feat-img.jpg
#2 Brandon Aiyuk WR Arizona St.
6'0 / 200

YAC. Dynamic. Loose.

This draft is deep. Do you know what that means guys? It means... we don't have to attack the position in FA. It means... we don't have to attack this position in the 1st (read: reach for Mims).
Unless 10 Guys go before 62 (they won't) someone who should have gone in the top 40 will drop to us. Let's say pray it's Aiyuk. Or don't. I will.

Slot capability. H/W/S that Gute seems to favor. Still feels like a sleeper even after a solid combine. Can do returns if we need it. Just find a highlight tape and buy a jersey. Love, love him next to Adams.
Highlights 

RND3 #94
11_27_HA_AP_19300144339176_t420.jpg?a336
#78 Hakeem Adeniji OT Kansas
6'4 / 302

Length. Athleticism. ZBS.

4 year LT with qualities to kick inside if necessary. Maybe a hair too early. Chalk that up to random 3rd rounders the Packers seem to favor. Great pSPARQ that puts him 5 in this class (so far) between Ruiz and and Jedrick Willis. Moving on from Bulaga is tough but a replacement with two guys in Veldheer and Turner puts us in a position to succeed with a need here. We have options. We'll be ok. For what we understand about Gute and this LaFleur regime, Adeniji screams Packer prospect. 

RND4 #126
0d6d0e00-c4f2-477d-b33b-fd4bda4ab651-cen
#3 Eno Benjamin RB ASU
5'9 / 207

Elusive. Versatile. Dynamic.

Thinking for the future. Williams and Jones are gonna go sooner or later. pSPARQ. I know contract talks have increased optimism for keeping him but I just don't see value in resigning RBs. 
Eno is an angry, but heady runner. Obviously pass blocking is going to be an issue out the gate. Fix that up and we have a 3 down option. Highlights

RND5 #158
DUHTKBG2KVAQDL6OXF632WTAOQ.jpg
#25 Antoine Brooks Jr. S/LB Maryland
5'11 / 215

Quick Nickel. Tackling. Juice.

Savage's fiery running mate on the backend. Plus biltzer. Adequate athlete over the middle and on the backend. Dude will be a fan favorite. Ballskills+. Skillset naturally fits. Packers have talked to him which isn't surprising. Highlights

RND6 #173
Charleston+Southern+vs+Florida+N8Qv8DzlQ
#89 Tyrie Cleveland WR Florida 
6'2 / 205

Deep Threat. Size. Upside.  

At least two WR picks should be featured. Fast. pSPARQ plus even in this class. Packers seem interested. Highlights

RND6 #189
DaltonKeeneVaTech.jpg
#29 Dalton Keene TE West Virginia
6'4 / 240

SPARQ. Hands. Upside.

4.7 guy. Underutilized in college. Shores up a group in need of talent influx. Competitive but needs room to grow technically (not technically but technically you feel?). Developmental piece. Highlights

RND6 #190
Walker_Fresno.jpg?fit=799,448&ssl=1
#3 Mykal Walker LB Fresno St.
6'3 / 215

Quick. Diverse. Motor.

4.65 40. Don't think they need to address it after this but believe they will. Better close to the ball but as a developmental 6th you could do worse. Fluid guy with that sideline to sideline potential. 
Highlights

RND7 #220
CQOV7OYYGZBGFPXBEYWXPJQGQY.jpg
#54 Robert Windsor DL Penn State
6'5 / 285

Athletic. Developmental. Pass Rush Upside. pSPARQ.

RND7  #202
IYF3D5RYIBHAXDMDC6VV3FYVGU.JPG
#75 Jon Runyan OL Michigan
6'5 / 320

Developmental athlete with upside. Versatile to push down to OT or OG.

QB - Rodgers, Boyle, Wilkins^
RB- Jones, Williams, Ervin, Benjamin^, D.Williams
WR- Adams, Lazard, Aiyuk, EQ, MVS, Cleveland^, Shep
TE- Jace, Lewis, Tonyan, Keene^, Baylis
OL- Bak, Jenkins, Lindsey, Turner, Veld, Adeniji, Patrick, Nijman^, Runyan, Leglue, Light, Conway

DL- Clark, Lowry, Onyemata, Robertson-Harris, Lancaster, Keke, Adams^, Windsor
EDGE- Z, Preston, Gary, Lewis^, Ramsey
ILB- Pierre-Louis, Burks, Bolton, Walker^, Summers
CB- Jah, King, Fuller, Jackson, Sullivan, Hollman^, Esto
S- Amos, Savage, Brooks, Greene^, Redmond

ST- Crosby, Scott, Bradley^

Edited by festiveonion
(Depth Chart)
  • Like 2

I like a different approach, but I think you can get Lewis in the 2nd. I really liked what you did with the last three rounds sparing the Cleveland pick(he'll be a priority UDFA). I think Walker is absolute steal and can contribute on ST's as he adjusts to the pro-game. Keene is a guy you stick on the PS the first year and bump up to ST's the second year. I'd also switch out the Adeniji pick for another player; too much of a project to be picking so high and you can probably get him Day 3. Love Brooks and have him slotted as my 4th round pick until further notice. FA signings are great as well though I think KPL will cost more; super high PFF score(90.5) last year but I really like the signing there.

This is a mock that doesn't make sense.  We're 3 deep at EDGE if you still believe in Rashan Gary, and I don't see how you can draft an EDGE that early unless the value is overwhelming.  If Chaisson was available, I could possibly see the value there, but I don't like Lewis enough.  Aiyuk is a solid pick, but the rest is disappointing.

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This is a mock that doesn't make sense.  We're 3 deep at EDGE if you still believe in Rashan Gary, and I don't see how you can draft an EDGE that early unless the value is overwhelming.  If Chaisson was available, I could possibly see the value there, but I don't like Lewis enough.  Aiyuk is a solid pick, but the rest is disappointing.

You don't like Brooks?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Are the prospects disappointing or their value? 

Just now, festiveonion said:

Are the prospects disappointing or their value? 

Both.  Taking an EDGE in the first round is a poor value no matter which way you slice it.  As I mentioned, I like Aiyuk and his value there.  Adenjii is probably a tad early for my liking.  Don't like going RB that early unless value is tremendous.  Brooks is probably okay.

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The EDGE defense.  Nobody's getting to the edge against our defense.  They're going to have to get 7 yards each run up the middle the easy way. 

Plugged two FA DT in with a capable Clark. 
And an EDGE who can push two of our best pass rushers on the line or take snaps there himself. 
Our ILBs will have to adapt but that is going to be the same no matter who you put in there. 

is it a foregone conclusion that this run defense is screwed? 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Both.  Taking an EDGE in the first round is a poor value no matter which way you slice it.  As I mentioned, I like Aiyuk and his value there.  Adenjii is probably a tad early for my liking.  Don't like going RB that early unless value is tremendous.  Brooks is probably okay  

I’d rather see EDGE addressed in the first than a WR or TE or LB as most mocks have us going. Not out on Gary at all either. Just don’t see the downside taking a shot at a pass rusher. Even early.

Adeniji I agree with you as I stated in post. Just tired of seeing Ezra Cleveland. Maybe I could have thrown Peart out there. I think Packers brass would like Adeniji more tho. Appreciate the input