Jahns: Gentry released, DHC Promoted, DT Purcell signed to PR

WindyCity

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

That will happen when you (arrogantly, IMO) jettison two Pro Bowl WRs are replace them with literal garbage.

One was never healthy and one had an attitude, and then went on to only have 1 more good season and has been literal garbage since then.  

I don't think it was arrogant to get rid of either one of them.  I wanted them to bring Alshon back, but I wouldn't chalk it up to arrogance because they didnt.

7 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

One was never healthy and one had an attitude, and then went on to only have 1 more good season and has been literal garbage since then.  

I don't think it was arrogant to get rid of either one of them.  I wanted them to bring Alshon back, but I wouldn't chalk it up to arrogance because they didnt.

Getting rid of them is fine, the arrogance is in replacing them with Josh Bellamy, Deonte Thompson, Kendall Wright, and Markus Wheaton.

Or maybe that's just pure stupidity?

Just now, G08 said:

Getting rid of them is fine, the arrogance is in replacing them with Josh Bellamy, Deonte Thompson, Kendall Wright, and Markus Wheaton.

Or maybe that's just pure stupidity?

Well you are forgetting about Kevin White, who may not have proven anything but he was absolutely a high draft pick for a reason.  His injuries derailed it but thats hardly predictable.  As far as everyone else goes, there wasn't anyone they could really get without throwing a ton of money at them, and if they were going to do that, they would have might as well done it for Alshon.  You could make an argument for Terrelle Pryor, but I don't blame Pace for not panicking and throwing a ton of money at Alshon or some other free agent.  He's seen that happen in NO and how strapped for cash that team has been for years.  Its neither arrogance or stupidity, its the unwillingness to overpay.

9 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Well you are forgetting about Kevin White, who may not have proven anything but he was absolutely a high draft pick for a reason.  His injuries derailed it but thats hardly predictable.  As far as everyone else goes, there wasn't anyone they could really get without throwing a ton of money at them, and if they were going to do that, they would have might as well done it for Alshon.  You could make an argument for Terrelle Pryor, but I don't blame Pace for not panicking and throwing a ton of money at Alshon or some other free agent.  He's seen that happen in NO and how strapped for cash that team has been for years.  Its neither arrogance or stupidity, its the unwillingness to overpay.

I'm one of the many on this board that was screaming/begging for us to not draft Kevin White, so the injuries don't really factor in when an arm-chair "scout" like me can see that Kevin White isn't worthy of a top 10 selection at WR. Way too raw, and now we are finding out he's way too brittle.

40 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'm one of the many on this board that was screaming/begging for us to not draft Kevin White, so the injuries don't really factor in when an arm-chair "scout" like me can see that Kevin White isn't worthy of a top 10 selection at WR. Way too raw, and now we are finding out he's way too brittle.

Again, you are speaking from your perspective though.  Its not arrogance to think that your top 10 draft pick at WR, who is unquestionably incredibly talented, could potentially be a #1 (if/when healthy).  It was a gamble, but not based in arrogance.  Your opinion on Kevin White as a prospect is irrelevant because it was Pace who was making that evaluation.   

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Again, you are speaking from your perspective though.  Its not arrogance to think that your top 10 draft pick at WR, who is unquestionably incredibly talented, could potentially be a #1 (if/when healthy).  It was a gamble, but not based in arrogance.  Your opinion on Kevin White as a prospect is irrelevant because it was Pace who was making that evaluation.   

Fair enough, so you can say he got rid of Marshall for White.

Can you explain getting rid of Jeffery for some odd combination of Kendall Wright and Markus Wheaton? Because I sure as hell can't.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

Yep! We should of made a big play for Jefferies huge mistake by Pace.

Maybe Alshon doesn't fit the mold of WR that Pace likes -- which is fine -- but GOOD GOD replace him with someone better than Kendall Wright/Markus Wheaton.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Fair enough, so you can say he got rid of Marshall for White.

Can you explain getting rid of Jeffery for some odd combination of Kendall Wright and Markus Wheaton? Because I sure as hell can't.

Well don't forget there were also extremely high hopes for Cam Meredith...  Cam Meredith was already a better receiver last year than Alshon was last year.   Hindsight is 20/20, but there is 0 way to guess that both of your two young, very talented, and high potential WR's would BOTH end up on IR before week 2.  It doesn't matter how much depth you have, in that situation, your team is going to suffer and struggle, no way around that.

The WR's coming into the preseason were:  

1.  Cam Meredith

2.  Kevin White

3.  Kendall Wright

4.  Marcus Wheaton

5.  Victor Cruz

Say what you want, but if Cam stayed healthy, and White both stayed healthy and progressed a little bit beyond the raw rookie he essentially is, thats on paper not a bad lineup. 

15 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

1.  Cam Meredith

2.  Kevin White

3.  Kendall Wright

4.  Marcus Wheaton

5.  Victor Cruz

Say what you want, but if Cam stayed healthy, and White both stayed healthy and progressed a little bit beyond the raw rookie he essentially is, thats on paper not a bad lineup. 

Why not pay AJ though? His only concerns were injury but he is a game changing player when on the field. We don't have a ton of players we resign we could have easily signed him.

2 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Why not pay AJ though? His only concerns were injury but he is a game changing player when on the field. We don't have a ton of players we resign we could have easily signed him.

I never really got the impression that Pace liked him or wanted to keep him, but who knows.

13 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

1.  Cam Meredith

2.  Kevin White

3.  Kendall Wright

4.  Marcus Wheaton

5.  Victor Cruz

I agree with you Tank.  It wasn't an amazing group but it also wasn't a bad group going into TC.  White was and still is a huge question mark but Cam was expected to be the #1 this year and they just got unlucky with the ACL injury.  Wright is proving to be a decent slot guy and we haven't yet seen Wheaton, but I assume he will be playing this Sunday after the release of Gentry (who I don't get why is getting so much love).

As for keeping Jeffery, I believe they tried and he just didn't want to be here anymore.  It's even more apparent after he signed a 1-year deal with the Eagles over taking more term with Bears...I don't think there's anything more there that could've been done by Pace.

The impression I got during the offseason is that Alshon did not want to be here, regardless of money. He wanted to go. Sure, there was likely an amount of money that could make him change his mind, but is that the type of deal you want to give to fragile player like Alshon?

Archived