Jahns: Gentry released, DHC Promoted, DT Purcell signed to PR

WindyCity

Yeah, I love to see how so many people go how could the team possibly think this WR core was good enough to get a through a season? But no one seems to give them any slack for the fact that none of the top 3 guys they envisioned being a part of this group has finished a game this year.

No one in their right mind would say, yeah, lets go into a season and start Kendall Wright for 16 games and also lets start guys like Deonte Thompson and/or Josh Bellamy alongside him. None of the guys that played Sunday were envisioned as huge contributors on the team. THIS WAS NOT THE PLAN. No one in this FO wanted Wright or Bellamy or Thompson to start a single game this season. Injuries suck. That's it. Especially multiple injuries at the same spot, and even more so when it wasn't an area of strength to begin with. 

I'm frustrated. We are all frustrated. I get that. But you take any team, let alone a rebuilding club that still lacks depth, and take away their top 3 WRs and they are all going to face similar struggles to what the Bears are facing right now.

46 minutes ago, mikee said:

Yeah, I love to see how so many people go how could the team possibly think this WR core was good enough to get a through a season? But no one seems to give them any slack for the fact that none of the top 3 guys they envisioned being a part of this group has finished a game this year.

No one in their right mind would say, yeah, lets go into a season and start Kendall Wright for 16 games and also lets start guys like Deonte Thompson and/or Josh Bellamy alongside him. None of the guys that played Sunday were envisioned as huge contributors on the team. THIS WAS NOT THE PLAN. No one in this FO wanted Wright or Bellamy or Thompson to start a single game this season. Injuries suck. That's it. Especially multiple injuries at the same spot, and even more so when it wasn't an area of strength to begin with. 

I'm frustrated. We are all frustrated. I get that. But you take any team, let alone a rebuilding club that still lacks depth, and take away their top 3 WRs and they are all going to face similar struggles to what the Bears are facing right now.

Totally valid point per Cam, but anyone counting on White for this season was using hope in lieu of action. We were one WR injury from having the above listed group of backup and PS level WR. We got that injury in Cam and White was merely the same White he's been his entire NFL career.

On September 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM, TankWilliams said:

Just waiting for IronMike to come in here and tell us how we are all insane for thinking Gentry is a future hall of famer and perennial all pro WR.

Most of this forum must have crawled into bed with a fifth of Jack yesterday.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Again, no one thinks Gentry is going to be a HOF player.

But losing anyone with an ounce of talent to keep Josh Bellamy is a totally asinine exercise.

If someone tries to sign Gentry off the Bears PS then they will find out and if they really think as highly of him as so many others do on this board then they can prevent losing him by signing him to active roster just like they did with DHC this week when Philly tried signing him, so stop worrying so much.

As for Bellamy, yes he has his fair share of drops, but clearly the team views him as a more valuable special teams contributor than Gentry at this point and with Wheaton coming back the move makes sense.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

If someone tries to sign Gentry off the Bears PS then they will find out and if they really think as highly of him as so many others do on this board then they can prevent losing him by signing him to active roster just like they did with DHC this week when Philly tried signing him, so stop worrying so much.

As for Bellamy, yes he has his fair share of drops, but clearly the team views him as a more valuable special teams contributor than Gentry at this point and with Wheaton coming back the move makes sense.

This would be common thinking except it is flat out wrong, this past week Bellamy play 0 snaps on ST's while Gentry play 10 out of his 18 snaps on ST's, the week before Bellamy play 10 of his 43 snaps on STs.  And to top it off he got the start over Wright.

7 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

This would be common thinking except it is flat out wrong, this past week Bellamy play 0 snaps on ST's while Gentry play 10 out of his 18 snaps on ST's, the week before Bellamy play 10 of his 43 snaps on STs.  And to top it off he got the start over Wright.

Woof. THAT, I didn't know.... where can you find ST snaps?

19 hours ago, 51to54 said:

Totally valid point per Cam, but anyone counting on White for this season was using hope in lieu of action. We were one WR injury from having the above listed group of backup and PS level WR. We got that injury in Cam and White was merely the same White he's been his entire NFL career.

Is that not what we do for literally any rookie or undeveloped player?  Why is that a valid way of projection for some players, but not Kevin White?  No one thinks Kevin White has been worth the pick.  Not a single person.  Probably not even Kevin White's mom.  BUT, its not unfair to make projections on a player of talent, and I'm definitely willing to give Pace his fair share of **** for some of his decisions, but this is one that I just have to take his side on.  You have to trust that you made the right picks, no GM is going to have success if they are constantly afraid that their player may be a bust and are working on replacements every single draft and free agency.  At this point I'm sure Pace is aware that he needs to replace White, if he has a job next season.

18 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Is that not what we do for literally any rookie or undeveloped player?  Why is that a valid way of projection for some players, but not Kevin White?  No one thinks Kevin White has been worth the pick.  Not a single person.  Probably not even Kevin White's mom.  BUT, its not unfair to make projections on a player of talent, and I'm definitely willing to give Pace his fair share of **** for some of his decisions, but this is one that I just have to take his side on.  You have to trust that you made the right picks, no GM is going to have success if they are constantly afraid that their player may be a bust and are working on replacements every single draft and free agency.  At this point I'm sure Pace is aware that he needs to replace White, if he has a job next season.

Because most rookies or undev players are most likely not coming off of two straight season ending injuries and only played in 4 games in two seasons. This doesn't have anything to do with how great or how bad he might be. It has everything to do with him proving he can stay on the field for more than 2 games a season, now down to 1.7 games a season.

3 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

How many ST snaps did Bellamy play week 1?  Is it conceivable that maybe he played 0 ST snaps in week 2 because they wanted him to focus his energy on being a primary WR due to all of all the injuries there?  

Also, they may have wanted to take a good look at how Gentry did playing ST in a real live NFL game.  Clearly they saw something they didn't like from the kid.  As a UDFA you have to be able to play special teams first and foremost if you're going to make it.

53 minutes ago, topwop1 said:
4 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

How many ST snaps did Bellamy play week 1?  Is it conceivable that maybe he played 0 ST snaps in week 2 because they wanted him to focus his energy on being a primary WR due to all of all the injuries there?  

Also, they may have wanted to take a good look at how Gentry did playing ST in a real live NFL game.  Clearly they saw something they didn't like from the kid.  As a UDFA you have to be able to play special teams first and foremost if you're going to make it.

If you read the whole thing you would see I said he played 10 snaps on ST's the previous week while having 33 snaps on offense.  So it's pretty clear that he hasn't been a ST's focus through the first two games.

Archived