Jets sign George Fant

J_E_T_$

Just now, Bobby816 said:

He said use our draft capital on OL, which in turn means a weak WR group.

We have nothing on offense but a slot WR, young QB, and overpaid RB.  Our defense has a stud S, solid S, an overpaid offball LB, Quinnen, and rotational DL.

We are going to have holes in the roster.

This is and always was at least a 2 year thing.

Think Colts.

Just now, rampantjet said:

pretty deep draft class for WR.  we could easily get 2 OL and stull leave the draft with 2 or 3 WR.

Pretty optimistic to think we’re getting good WRs for our hopeful franchise QB that will have to start in the mid rounds.

• Like 1

Just now, rampantjet said:

We could certainly sign 1 or 2 more guys, or trade for Cooks.  

Who that’s a FA is helping a good amount? Perriman? He was less than impressive his whole career and had a solid year last year but that’s bc Tb just sling it around to anyone and everyone. Cooks concussions issues shouldn’t be the ignored. He comes with a big risk.

FWIW - the scouting community seems to love the signing. Personally, I don't love it or hate it. If we signed someone like Fowler last night and Fant today, the reaction would be much different. Just so much anticipation leading up to that first signing, compiled with the Thuney/Glasgow/Conklin letdowns, left me feeling uninspired. 

Interested to see what Joe does today

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Who that’s a FA is helping a good amount? Perriman? He was less than impressive his whole career and had a solid year last year but that’s bc Tb just sling it around to anyone and everyone. Cooks concussions issues shouldn’t be the ignored. He comes with a big risk.

We could get Robby back.  Perriman isn't my favorite but he played well down the stretch last year.  Cooks has concussions but is a good player.  I mean other than a few trades who did we even miss out on at WR that you wanted to sign?  I don't think we were ever really thinking of going WR in the 1st round, but we could certainly get a nice one in the 2nd and another nice one in the 3rd.  

If we end up with Robby, Crowder, Cooks, and 2 rookies, that is much better than last year.  

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm so tired of this video game approach to team building. Look around the NFL. Just look. Great QBs make the WRs around them better. I think Darnold will be a great QB. Your take is, "we need to make sure he's going to be a great QB, so let's baby him by overpaying for flashy toys". Just stop. Josh Allen's stats may look better, but newsflash: Diggs doesn't change much for me in terms of how good he'll be. I think Murray was going to be good regardless of Hopkins or not- credit to them for having an opportunity and seizing it. 

Look around the NFL. Young QBs all over have elite weapons and are doing squat with them. The QB makes the WR, not the opposite. 

Bottom line is Jets need to build the OL. That's what the bigger problem is. Losing out on Glasgow was a major sting, but it's not the end of the world. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm so tired of this video game approach to team building. Look around the NFL. Just look. Great QBs make the WRs around them better. I think Darnold will be a great QB. Your take is, "we need to make sure he's going to be a great QB, so let's baby him by overpaying for flashy toys". Just stop. Josh Allen's stats may look better, but newsflash: Diggs doesn't change much for me in terms of how good he'll be. I think Murray was going to be good regardless of Hopkins or not- credit to them for having an opportunity and seizing it. 

Look around the NFL. Young QBs all over have elite weapons and are doing squat with them. The QB makes the WR, not the opposite. 

Bottom line is Jets need to build the OL. That's what the bigger problem is. Losing out on Glasgow was a major sting, but it's not the end of the world. 

Your 3rd sentence is what sums it up though. You’re in the thought that Darnold will be great and won’t need good talent around him. News flash he’s not great. Can he be? Sure. But he’s far from that at the moment.

10 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

We could get Robby back.  Perriman isn't my favorite but he played well down the stretch last year.  Cooks has concussions but is a good player.  I mean other than a few trades who did we even miss out on at WR that you wanted to sign?  I don't think we were ever really thinking of going WR in the 1st round, but we could certainly get a nice one in the 2nd and another nice one in the 3rd.  

If we end up with Robby, Crowder, Cooks, and 2 rookies, that is much better than last year.  

The thought process was we’d improve the OL and edge making it to where we can use our picks on WRs. Good WRs. Not mid round guys. I’ve given the example of the fall off of deep WR classes after the 1st couple rounds. Look at the Watkins, OBJ draft class after Rounds 1 and 2.

2 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

So far Darnold has made has no player look better. If we get a top WR that could make Darnold, look better. Darnold could be a fine QB if we can get him offensive help and right now that is not happing. We have the 11,48,69, 79, picks in the first three rounds, Douglas better pull a rabbit out of his hat with those picks. Looks like this FA period is going in the tank.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The thought process was we’d improve the OL and edge making it to where we can use our picks on WRs. Good WRs. Not mid round guys. I’ve given the example of the fall off of deep WR classes after the 1st couple rounds. Look at the Watkins, OBJ draft class after Rounds 1 and 2.

That wasn't my thought process.   Look at the round 1 picks vs the mid round wr picks over the last several years,  been better in the mid rounds a lot of the time

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

So far Darnold has made has no player look better. If we get a top WR that could make Darnold, look better. Darnold could be a fine QB if we can get him offensive help and right now that is not happing. We have the 11,48,69, 79, picks in the first three rounds, Douglas better pull a rabbit out of his hat with those picks. Looks like this FA period is going in the tank.

I'd blame that more on his o line than his wrs

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Your 3rd sentence is what sums it up though. You’re in the thought that Darnold will be great and won’t need good talent around him. News flash he’s not great. Can he be? Sure. But he’s far from that at the moment.

First of all, this is hogwash. Every QB needs talent around them; I don't think that Darnold can succeed without some talent around him. And second, I'm not suggested that he is great ATM. I think he has the ability to make the players around him better. He has shown that in his first two years.

You act like the team is totally devoid of talent. You act like 2nd-4th round investments are not enough. You dismiss the idea that Robby Anderson or other potential additions unworthy because they're not "#1 receivers". Just stop with the bull****, PLEASE. For the love of god. 

*Newsflash*: Le'Veon Bell, Chris Herndon, Jamison Crowder are talented, solid receivers. The draft is the deepest, most talented wide receiver class ever. The Jets will have an improved WR group.

My perspective: you don't need a bonafide #1 receiver to be successful. You need a basketball team of receivers. You need complementary guys (which you agree with). Would it be nice to have Julio Jones? Of course. But history shows that teams who funnel through their offense through receivers who demand the ball often don't go very far. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

That wasn't my thought process.   Look at the round 1 picks vs the mid round wr picks over the last several years,  been better in the mid rounds a lot of the time

And we’ve not capitalized in that or have missed. Other teams do a lot of good things we never seem to do